collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I want to hear about your goats!  (Read 284 times)

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
I want to hear about your goats!
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:39:37 AM »
I've been entertaining the idea of getting myself a couple of Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats (my husband and I don't drink enough milk to make a full sized dairy goat or miniature cow practical at this time) for a couple of years.  I've done a decent amount of research, have a degree in Animal Science and a pretty solid background in dairy *cattle*, but not so much with goats. 

I do understand that goats are a lot of work.  I know that they are escape artists.  I know that having a dairy animal is a huge commitment.  I'm not looking for that sort of information.  I'm looking more for practical, day to day stuff that might not be as commonly thought of as the big points.  I'm also trying to figure out how far away you need to keep a buck from the does to discourage the strong "goaty" flavor that can pop up in cheese.  I know that you need to keep them away, but are we talking yards, or miles?

Pictures are totally welcome, too, because goats are pretty amazing critters :) 

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: I want to hear about your goats!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:01:28 PM »
I've got very little experience with goats - I only purchased my first one about a month ago! - but I can definitely confirm that they're escape artists, regardless of breed. Ours will squeeze through fences, literally climb over gates, and climb on anything they can find, including each other. Here are our little brats, the black and white Nubian - Magpie - is mine.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

While I'm afraid I can't be of much help here, I highly recommend The Backyard Goat by Sue Weaver. It's an excellent introductory guide with lots of practical information.

Best of luck getting your goats! They're a pain in the butt, but they're fun. XD
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 07:03:41 PM by Sundown »
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Calico_Star

• Trade Count: (+63)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:33:05 PM »
I'm also a goat owner who can't help you much-- my goat is a wether :P He's an African pygmy goat. I got him and his brother when they were a few months old. His brother died a couple of years ago, and I figure my remaining goat is about 13 now, so he's pretty up there. They're a lot of fun though! And yep, I can confirm the whole escape artist thing :P Even with a big set of horns, my goats would always find a way under their fence. Good luck with the potential purchase though! Hopefully someone else will pop in who can give you better information.

:heart: My Deviantart :heart: Commissions: Closed

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:17:48 AM »
I have no goats but they are super adorable. I wish you luck with your future little friends!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 04:08:13 PM »
I love goats :freak: My parents live on a mini farm and since they were filling it with animals, I was allowed to get my very own goat because I had always wanted one and he was a pet goat. Here's a picture of him.

His name is Norman and he is an African Pygmy goat. My parents adopted him from an animal shelter that I volunteered at shortly after we got him. The shelter isn't exactly sure what happened (we think he was hit by a car) but before he was rescued, Norman's leg was shattered. It was so bad that the shelter's vet had to amputate it because there was no way to save it.

When he first came to our place, he was the most timid thing ever. We kept him in one of the stalls in the barn and he would pin himself up against one of the corners as much as he could whenever there was anyone in the barn. I felt really bad for him and it broke my heart that he was terrified of us. So I decided to go out into the barn and sit in the stall either reading a book or playing my DS for a couple of hours at a time. Eventually he got used to having me around so gradually he became curious and started coming up to me. It didn't take very long before I was able to pet him.

Fast forward a couple months and Norman became my baby. I used to take him out of the barn (he had a mini pasture all to himself so I wanted to let him wander around) into our two acre yard and he would follow me around everywhere. It was adorable, everytime he heard my voice, he would baaa and look around for me. If he had wandered too far in the yard and I called him, he would come running back to me. The fact that he only has three legs never was a problem for him. He could outrun me :blush: I called him my little racing goat :heart:

He was pretty much a puppy in a goat's body XD And such a mama's boy. I spoiled him. He was super curious when it came to plants and food, he's try anything once (luckily he was smart enough to know what wasn't edible so I never had to worry about him getting sick). My parents have peach trees on their property that would grow in the summer so Norman and I would eat them right off the tree. He even spit the pits out :) Here's a picture of him eating a peach.

Spoiler

Unfortunately, I'm not on speaking terms with my parents so I never get to see my little booger :cry: I miss him very much and I would take him if I could but that's just not an option.

Onto some of your concerns about getting a goat, I don't think they're anymore work than any other animal but then again I don't know about the work involved with keeping goats for dairy :huh: However, I know there are lots of great resources available out there and I hope you're able to find the answers you're looking for :)
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Rainfeather

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 04:14:15 PM »
YES!!! This forum needs more goats! I don't know why but I love goats. Their looks, their personalities, their smell, their cheese, their milk, their meat is the best <3

Sheep are overated.

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 11:42:49 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/PrinceTheTherapyGoat

This is my Boy! :) he is my legal and registered outdoor and outdoor public spaces, service and therapy animal.   

Goats are highly intelligent and very loving creatures. they bond well.   i also work part time as a milker and a midwife at the goat dairy farm i board my horse at. ;)  i love them!  and also only unfixed males stink.  they need to be kept in a separate pasture with other breeding males while they are in season.  they seriously have pheromones all over their face...  bleh

Mine is a wether (fixed male) and he never smells. only the unfixed males do. :)   its a breeding thing. they pee on their face.. no joke LMAO.    and dont get sheep seriously  i cant stand them. flighty annoying things.   goats are much better and high in personality.   
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Rainfeather

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 12:44:21 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/PrinceTheTherapyGoat

This is my Boy! :) he is my legal and registered outdoor and outdoor public spaces, service and therapy animal.   

Goats are highly intelligent and very loving creatures. they bond well.   i also work part time as a milker and a midwife at the goat dairy farm i board my horse at. ;)  i love them!  and also only unfixed males stink.  they need to be kept in a separate pasture with other breeding males while they are in season.  they seriously have pheromones all over their face...  bleh

Mine is a wether (fixed male) and he never smells. only the unfixed males do. :)   its a breeding thing. they pee on their face.. no joke LMAO.    and dont get sheep seriously  i cant stand them. flighty annoying things.   goats are much better and high in personality.

What a cutie! Didn't know they could be used as an therapy animal. I never smelled a unfixed male. I love the smell of goats though <3

Offline babylicketysplit

• Bionic Spine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+49)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • In Spite of your Fear, Do what You have to Do
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 01:01:02 AM »
you dont want to smell them rainfeather LOL.... believe me.   indiana and ziggy the breeding males at the farm have a lovely habit of rubbing their faces all over me with "love"..  not understanding i dont want that on me hahaha.   it basically needs to have bleach on the skin to get the smell off.  XD
Check out my  Esty Shop  and MyEbay Sales!
 (Profits are going to help pay for my Rescue Horse's medical bills) <3
http://myworld.ebay.com/baby_licketysplit
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoniesAndPets

Offline Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 11:52:10 AM »
Oh, yes, goats! We're getting goats when we move to a bigger place (farm) in a few years :) spam more goat piccies :lovey:

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal