collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New Orleans-Is it family friendly??  (Read 673 times)

Offline wiccanpony1

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
New Orleans-Is it family friendly??
« on: May 21, 2014, 11:59:33 AM »
Hi guys I wondering if anyone can give me some travel tips,My partner and I would really love to visit New Orleans next year(maybe October) But we have two daughters who will be 3 and 13.Is new Orleans a family friend Holiday destination?? I have read mixed reviews so I thought Id ask the advise of my very wise pony friends :) We were planning to go to Disney world but a package holiday from here(uk) is nearly £6000($10000) :shocked: and my partner would be much happier if we went to New Orleans instead hes not keen on the idea of Disney princesses for 2 weeks lol :biggrin: any help/tips or recommendations anyone can offer would be a huge help :)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:29:56 PM by wiccanpony1 »

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: New Orleans-Is it family friendly??
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 12:05:32 PM »
Hmm well I'm from Louisiana, but I did not visit New Orleans much and never have. You might google and see if there are some family friendly activities.  I'm sure there has to be some unless you're going during Mardi Gras that's a bad idea. :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »
There isn't a lot for kids to do in New Orleans, and the high drinking culture and partying makes it, to me, very inappropriate for children.  There used to be a six flags, but that was ruined in hurricane Katrina.  Have you thought about Atlanta?  It'd be cheaper than Disney but has great family options like Six Flags, the Aquariums, etc, etc.  San Antonio could be a good option too.  Honestly, the last thing I think on New Orleans is that it's family friendly.

Offline candiedapples

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »
I'm not from Louisiana so I'm sure others can chime in with better responses but I have been to New Orleans once for a week. The Louisiana Children's Museum is located in New Orleans - I haven't visited it, but judging by the website there are a bunch of activities. Mardi Gras World is an exhibit that is kidsafe, and in fact there were lots of families with young kids when I went there. History buffs might want to check out the city tour, or visit the local plantations. In addition there are swamp tours.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Summer Daze Swap Wishlist
Banner made by dashesndots

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 12:38:38 PM »
I'm not sure if it's changed much since then, but I went to New Orleans about 10 years ago and it would be pretty much the last place I'd recommend for a family vacation. It's just generally not the safest area and it is highly focused on the whole drinking and "adult shop" scene. However, there IS a nice aquarium and zoo there, so those would be fun to take the kids to. They also have swamp tours that they might also enjoy. If you do go, just be sure to steer clear of Bourbon Street. ;)

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline wiccanpony1

• Trade Count: (+73)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »
wow you guys are quick and AWESOME :biggrin:
Maddie - no we dont plan to visit during Mardi Gras(I would if we had no children lol) I did have a goggle and some sites say there is lots for family's to do,many tours,river trips and friendly atmosphere but then other site dont mention children at all which is a concern for me lol.
MiRaja Thank you for your suggestions I will defiantly have a goggle at those:) Can I ask what six flags is?
candiedapples- Its nice to hear your response at-least you saw familys there lol That is why my partner wishes to visit,He loves the history and culture but we were trying to figure out if we should wait till the children are grown up and go on our own lol which as our youngest is only 2 would be a long wait lol
Teddy - I almost spat tea at my laptop when I read your response as the hotel we were just looking at is on bourbon street >_<

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »
wow you guys are quick and AWESOME :biggrin:
Maddie - no we dont plan to visit during Mardi Gras(I would if we had no children lol) I did have a goggle and some sites say there is lots for family's to do,many tours,river trips and friendly atmosphere but then other site dont mention children at all which is a concern for me lol.
MiRaja Thank you for your suggestions I will defiantly have a goggle at those:) Can I ask what six flags is?
candiedapples- Its nice to hear your response at-least you saw familys there lol That is why my partner wishes to visit,He loves the history and culture but we were trying to figure out if we should wait till the children are grown up and go on our own lol which as our youngest is only 2 would be a long wait lol
Teddy - I almost spat tea at my laptop when I read your response as the hotel we were just looking at is on bourbon street >_<

It's like Alton Towers sort of thing.  Lots of fun rides, walk around, etc. 

You def do not want your hotel on Bourbon street.  You won't get any sleep.  Trust me.  The bars don't close before 3am ever and drunks are noisey.

If you want history, go to San Antonio.  The Alamo.  It's probably more affordable too, and the river walk is super nice.  They also have a Six Flags, which I do think are great and cheaper alternatives to Disney.  There are also cities like Houston and Corpus Christi and the beaches you can visit especially if you're going to be in the States for two weeks.

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 04:51:13 AM »
Kids see kid stuff. I grew up in what is regarded in Minnesota as a college town. It has this reputation because of the parties, drinking, and the general antics of the university students. Low rent housing, budget cars and chain stores etc. I grew up in this town between the ages of 2 and 18, and I never realized these things. I noticed the playgrounds, the squirrels and dogs, good climbing trees etc.

Any city wants to attract revenue in any form, so even places like New York City and Las Vegas have activities and localities to cater to families. My guess is that New Orleans will be the same.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 07:06:43 AM »
I go to New Orleans every year for Halloween. And honestly as long as you avoid Bourbon St at night you'll be fine taking the kiddos. During the day there are a lot of activities they'd enjoy. There's several tours both in the swamp, haunted ghost tours, history tours. There's a zoo, river boat rides, artists drawing/painting etc. There's also a TON of shops once you get away from the tourist traps on Bourbon. There's the French Market as well which is always interesting. There is also a Halloween parade during the day that the kiddos might like.

If you and your husband would enjoy the city, there's always things you can find to do that will incorporate the kids. New Orleans is more than just drunk culture. During the day the Quarter is a gorgeous place to visit and very family friendly. There's also the Garden District with is simply stunning with the old homes. (well old for the US anyways) :)

Maybe this website will help: http://www.neworleanskids.com

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 07:29:41 AM »
Any city wants to attract revenue in any form, so even places like New York City and Las Vegas have activities and localities to cater to families. My guess is that New Orleans will be the same.
Yeah, I'm sure it must be "family friendly" as much as any other city. I mean, people do live there with their families after all. As for specifically what kinds of tourist activities there are to do for families, it looks like some people here have potentially nice suggestions. It's a large, historic city; it can't be all bars and adult-focused entertainment.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 11:44:53 AM »
Im going to chime up and say that ive been to Atlanta, and im sorry for those that live there but it was one of the most turn off cities ive been to.  Very cold nature of the people that atleast I came across.  It made me want to leave as soon as I could. 

Not at all welcoming or accommodating.  It was 'give me your money and leave'.

I have no idea about New Orleans, though I get the impression that its fun for the adults <3  Though others are right--kids will be attracted to things that you don't think of :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 01:42:56 PM »
Never been. I live near enough but for some reason just haven't. It just doesn't seem very pleasant and with the zoo and aquarium gone I don't have alot of interest. Seems like you've gotten some good ideas though.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 05:05:49 PM »
Im going to chime up and say that ive been to Atlanta, and im sorry for those that live there but it was one of the most turn off cities ive been to.  Very cold nature of the people that atleast I came across.  It made me want to leave as soon as I could. 

Not at all welcoming or accommodating.  It was 'give me your money and leave'.

I have no idea about New Orleans, though I get the impression that its fun for the adults <3  Though others are right--kids will be attracted to things that you don't think of :)

That's how I feel about Atlanta, too!  Thankfully I didn't have to deal with anyone brandishing firearms while we were there.  :( 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline slyons

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 06:41:56 PM »
Never been. I live near enough but for some reason just haven't. It just doesn't seem very pleasant and with the zoo and aquarium gone I don't have alot of interest....
You can go now, the aquarium and zoo are back! :)

I went last October and while I will admit I was quite  focused on the activities happening on Bourbon (NOT kid friendly for sure), I did see lots of families doing the day trips and outings and tours and such.
Not cheap though! But what a trip ;)

Thank you Shaiyeh and Griffin for my adoptables!!

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 06:42:41 PM »
I think it's very family friendly depending on where you go.  I would avoid bourbon street, but you can easily walk around the french quarter and scope out the french market and riverwalk without going to bourbon street.  The Aquarium is awesome, the Insectarium is super rad! There's also a really nice zoo.  Now I personally love going to City Park and am pretty in love with the Botanical Gardens AND it's cheap to get in.  Right beside the botanical gardens there's also a little mini theme park that's super cute and def. family friendly.  The food's good, you can tour the garden district or even a ghost tour.  I think a lot of people don't realize that New Orleans is more than just the French Quarter and Mardi Gras.  There's usually a festival going on at any given time as well in various parts of the city.
I actually find it to be pretty safe but then I'm not running around in the ghetto at night and I park in the pay for parking lots. Meh.  If shopping is your thing, they just opened some outlets on the Riverwalk and there's also a mall with fancier stores where I work.
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal