collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Temporarily Living in the US - Maybe  (Read 1105 times)

Ariadna

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Temporarily Living in the US - Maybe
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 08:36:06 PM »
It snows in Winter in Montana? OH MY GOSH THAT SOUNDS AMAZING! I've have not seen snow since I was 12 and that was on a school excursion, but I teachers wouldn't let us play in it, it was ski or go inside the restaurant thingy and sit there with some of the teachers and wait :/   Ok so I am even more excited than ever to go overseas! SNNOOOOWWWWWW!!!

Thanks Kaoskat! I do hope I get to make it, it's so exciting!

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 11:29:20 PM »
It snows in Winter in Montana? OH MY GOSH THAT SOUNDS AMAZING! I've have not seen snow since I was 12 and that was on a school excursion, but I teachers wouldn't let us play in it, it was ski or go inside the restaurant thingy and sit there with some of the teachers and wait :/   Ok so I am even more excited than ever to go overseas! SNNOOOOWWWWWW!!!

Thanks Kaoskat! I do hope I get to make it, it's so exciting!

Yes, yes it does.  And a lot.  I'm originally from Wisconsin, and I believe Montana winters are worse than our's.  We're talking -32f at night winters, so it's not all just skiing and fun, and then there is the driving aspect.  Ice is bad to drive on, especially someone with a fresh license.  Just things to think about. . . 

Offline Discord

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 11:46:44 PM »
I live in Montana, love it! What area are you looking at? I could be more precise in telling you about it.

I'm in Great Falls, Montana. Where are you located?

Yeah, our winters aren't awesome lol I agree with everything OLume has said! I currently pay $565 a month for my place. It's got 2 bedrooms, large kitchen area, living room and bathroom.

Miraja is correct about the ice. We get horrible black ice and snow storms here.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 11:49:44 PM by Discord »
Formerly known as DeviantCandy

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2014, 05:37:16 AM »
I was just in Great Falls all last week. My husband was getting cyberknife done at Benefits. I am in Helena.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 07:53:44 AM »
While I don't live in Montana, I can't give you the awesome advice that our Montana residents can give, but I will say that it is definitely one of my favorite states to visit.  It's GORGEOUS.  It's nice to be in a state that isn't just wall-to-wall people.  From what I have experienced (much like OLumeVaSti mentioned), Helena (and some of the other "major Montana towns") is a great mix of people and country.  It gives you just enough civilization so you're not completely out in the middle of no where--but you aren't overwhelmed with millions of people that you might encounter in cities like L.A., New York City, or Chicago.  :)

Most of my time spent in Montana wasn't in the city, though - it was in Glacier National Park.  I know bears were mentioned earlier, but I really wouldn't be too concerned (even if you are going into the park).  We ran into about 8 bears last time, but thankfully they just did their own thing (this was more "backcountry" than just a casual encounter)...so unless you plan on being on your own in the wilderness, I think you'd be ok.  Bear bells and bear spray are recommended by people, but we never carried either.  Ideally/Typically, as long as you don't startle a bear (ie, walking around quietly and scaring it with your presence), they shouldn't bother you.  My husband and I talk a lot when we hike (well, I do anyway), so the bears and other wildlife we encountered were never startled by us.  (Again, though, I don't think you'd even have to worry about this unless you go out hiking :)).

I'm so excited for you!  I hope you are able to make this happen!  It sounds like you have some great contacts on here if you end up being able to make it to Montana :D

Ariadna

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 09:21:52 AM »
Holy wow that's cold! Yeah I am thinking about the ice and such in regards to driving.

I have to ask, what is black ice? I don't live in an area in Australia that snows, though I do get ice between my floorboards in winter (I live at the base of a mountain, not an overly huge one) so am used to rugging up, huzzah for three layers of pyjamas under a onesie :P XD

STLGusty, I have actually been to L.A. before, it was a high school trip, so I understand the wall to wall people. I live a short distance from Sydney and that place is crazy hectic, never go there during lunch time, you get mowed down by pedestrians! o.0 I do love scenic open areas, I grew up on a farm so I certainly much prefer the wide open space with few people.
Also thanks for the info about bears, again I know it sounds nooby, but there are no bears in my country (no, koalas are not bears :P), do have like 10 of the top 15 most venomous thing on earth in my country or some such XD

Offline OLumeVaSti

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Grumpy Nesmith should be the next meme.
    • View Profile
    • My Want List
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 11:12:11 AM »
Black ice is where it blends in with the road and you don't see it. Where you would be driving the roads are pretty well taken care of. Studded tires are a must though. If you were here and had a car, I know I guy who has decent used tires cheap.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy store for vintage and kitsch items.

flyawayraven

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 04:21:47 PM »
Just poking my head in so I can cry over your rents. D: I'm paying almost twice as much as some of you for a one bedroom, one bath!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal