collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Tips for fixing an EqG leg?  (Read 277 times)

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
Tips for fixing an EqG leg?
« on: May 11, 2014, 11:57:26 AM »
Not sure if this should go in the Pony Corral or not, but as it's a doll technical thing I thought I might have more luck here.

I bought a damaged EqG doll at the weekend for 50p (instead of £13!). I couldn't leave her at the store broken and naked! Her leg has come off the joint, which is tearing in the middle (it's really hard to get a good photo of this). The joint is soft rubbery-feeling plastic and about 1cm thick (so I'm not sure breaking it off and reinforcing it with a metal pin is an option as I'm unsure how deep the joint is in the body).

So far my soft plan is to glue the tear and soften the plastic of her thigh hole enough using a hair dryer (I use this technique all the time to get errant Nendoroid parts to fit) to get it back onto the joint.

I've read a review on Amazon US that said the person had to split an EqG's leg in half along the seam to fix it but I really would rather not do this.

I've never tried to fix a doll like this before, so does anyone have any advice?

Here is Fluttershy before her bath (though I had unmatted her hair. Poor lass).

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for fixing an EqG leg?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 10:40:51 AM »
As its EQG I am going to bump this over to the Corral for you :)

As to fixing her leg, unfortunately its something which seems to be common with these dolls when they are played with by kids. As you say the opening is smaller on the inside of the leg and therefore there is no way to get the ball joint to fit back inside.

I would agree your only option is to see if you can soften the plastic enough and then apply brute force to get it back in but from what I have read splitting the leg open, fitting it back in and then gluing the leg back together seems to be the only workable option. I hope you manage it with the heat though - in the long run for these dolls that would be so much better.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for fixing an EqG leg?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 12:04:24 PM »
Sadly it's looking like I'll have to rip the joint off completely and glue it (the tear is on the top so Fluttershy's "knickers" get in the way of gluing it cleanly) before trying again. Having briefly tried heating it, it's looking like she'll take more heating than I usually give my Nendoroids (with those usually a few 10 second bursts of hot air is enough to fix stiff joints) so I'll keep going and hope for the best, or try to split her leg open (there are a fair few gaps in the seam so this won't be too hard).
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal