collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Birthday Ideas?  (Read 220 times)

Offline systemcat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
Birthday Ideas?
« on: May 09, 2014, 04:28:01 PM »
To mod.s this is more than whimpering. It's me relaying information in regards to a question. So please don't delete this because of my post count  :ninja:.

I have an awful track record with birthdays. Up until last year I had not had a good one in 20 years. You don't want to know the heartache of the ones in between. Normally I try and try to plan out some thing good well in advance for the day but these plans never prevail well. For example of how last year this finally turned around. I told my only local friend I wanted a little vacation, just a few days at the beach that is only about an hour's drive from home. He commissioned me to make two digital portraits for a friend of his. It took some time and effort to please him with many tries at making the art to just what he wanted, but eventually what I did pleased him and I got the money. The shame is I got it too late. Online travel booking sites had adjusted their prices in between starting the project and finishing it. Now every hotel had a price tag too high for a decent trip meant to help stress level and act as a gift to my self. Only one motel had a reasonable price tag but online reviews and even talking with staff over the phone made it sound bad, so I lost my trip because I didn't want to stay in a roach infested, far from any thing, poorly maintained motel. The friend who had given me the commission chatted with another friend of mine, although not a real local friend. This one lives one state over in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, a day's long drive from home. The friend in LA. decided to take me in and try to show me a good time. The trip felt like nothing for days until the big day finally happened and only the evening felt special. Finally a break in the chain of awful birthdays. The shame is how things are currently sizing up in my life right now, it looks like on June 12th the old pattern is going to start right back up again of awful birthdays.

The friend in LA. no longer really has even the time to talk to me. All my friends away from Houston are too far away for visiting, and my one local friend is always so busy with a million matters he's involved with, I'm amazed exhaustion hasn't put him in the hospital. So flat out no friend around me for when the time comes. My car has been broken down since last year and I doubt it will be repaired in time for the day. But if it was, what could I do to celebrate by my self?

A friend here in the Arena said do some thing I really enjoy. Lets see I can nearly walk around the zoo blindfolded, and HMNS has nothing new in it I have an urge to really see. I recently spent a whole day at the Galleria, and besides being a wuss on the ice and wishing I had more money it was an ok day. I can't firmly remember how this was brought up but the friend here and myself, we started talking about what if I went to an amusement park. The shame is Houston doesn't have one, only water parks a good drive away and I'm not fond of water parks (that's a story for another day). I did think of maybe going to a sports event, but my favorite team I think is gone and it isn't even the right season for hockey.

Thoughts of the simple nature have also been boiled over in my mind, like catching a movie. Looking at what's upcoming ...uh I don't see any thing I'm really tempted at. Sure there's that X-Men movie coming, but with as much as I love comics, I'm strangely not into the X-Men movies. They're ok but I don't feel the need to jump up and buy a ticket every time one comes out. Some movies, I prefer renting to discovering if they're good or not.  While it seems Dreamworks has a halfway decent track record with it's animated films. I'm going to wait for How To Train Your Dragon 2, to come out on disc before I watch it. (Yes, I know it opens on the 13th, but I'm tried of small kids causing havoc just behind my theater seat and whining little babies else where in the theater.)

I hope you guys have better ideas what I could do other than sleep through that day.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Birthday Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 05:32:23 PM »
I'm a little confused. This is a WYP topic, but it's in Off Topic because you don't have a high enough post count to put it there?  :huh:

In actual response to your question I find the older you get it's harder to just have a large magical birthday, because we're not really kids anymore. I actually worked on my birthday from like the age of 18-23 and even then I went to teaching workshops during the summer for my birthday.

It was always nice to come home though and maybe have a pizza with family or friends and watch a nice movie together. Birthdays I think for lots of people don't have to be all day magnificent events, but it's just having a nice day.

One of the birthdays I remember the most was when I had first moved for my new job. I was called into doing some professional development in a town two hours away and my wife was alone at our new place unpacking by herself. It was awkward and weird buying myself a little cupcake and having people sing to me over the phone.  :lol: Still it wasn't a bad day. Just find something to do and make your own fun. Don't focus on the things that don't go right and think more about the things that do go well.  ^.^
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline systemcat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »
I'm a little confused. This is a WYP topic, but it's in Off Topic because you don't have a high enough post count to put it there?  :huh:

In actual response to your question I find the older you get it's harder to just have a large magical birthday, because we're not really kids anymore. I actually worked on my birthday from like the age of 18-23 and even then I went to teaching workshops during the summer for my birthday.

It was always nice to come home though and maybe have a pizza with family or friends and watch a nice movie together. Birthdays I think for lots of people don't have to be all day magnificent events, but it's just having a nice day.

One of the birthdays I remember the most was when I had first moved for my new job. I was called into doing some professional development in a town two hours away and my wife was alone at our new place unpacking by herself. It was awkward and weird buying myself a little cupcake and having people sing to me over the phone.  :lol: Still it wasn't a bad day. Just find something to do and make your own fun. Don't focus on the things that don't go right and think more about the things that do go well.  ^.^

I'd say this topic is boarder line WYP. I felt I had to explain what surrounded my question.

True, older you get the harder it becomes to make one special, but the last time being a 20 year gap. Ages 14 through 32, that's a long time of having birthdays I wish I could forget. A person's good birthdays shouldn't just consist of their 13th and 33rd ones.

As for focusing on the good things and not the bad. Not enough good things going on to out weigh the bad. If I brought up all the bad things going on right now, that would turn this into a WYP topic.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 07:01:06 AM »
This is a WYP post. You do not have a high enough post count to access that area yet. I'm afraid I will have to lock this. - kkat
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal