collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Kid-friendly customs?  (Read 284 times)

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Kid-friendly customs?
« on: May 09, 2014, 11:52:50 AM »
Ok, I know most customs are for display only, but my little cousin has seen my first custom and asked me to make her one. She's eight years old, and treats her toys gently, but I'd like to make sure that her custom won't give any trouble. Any ideas or tips? It wouldn't involve sculpting, just repainting and rehairing.

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Kid-friendly customs?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 11:57:50 AM »
I would do a basic rehair/eye/symbol design. She's old enough to take care of her stuff, but accidents do happen, so I wouldn't go with a fbr if possible.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »
I know a few people have made kid friendly customs, and like Shiro said simple non 3D parts work best.

Offline Saja

• Peacock Queen
  • Trade Count: (+325)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 01:41:22 PM »
I have made my daughter many and she was only 4 at the time of her first one, all of them are still intact, make sure if you rehair do it well and heaps of glue, and when painting make sure you seal the symbols and eyes well!
Wish list : http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,318839.0.html
See my work on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/saja.navajo Also rehairs and customs for sale in sales album on FB and also and Etsy Store https://www.etsy.com/shop/SajasCreations

Offline mermaid_splash

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+167)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 02:06:27 PM »
My four year old has a fbr and it is sealed several times.  So far so good, but she also knows how to treat "special" things

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 05:35:56 PM »
Oooh! I have an idea, why not buy one of those 'blank' G3s from the Hasbrotoyshop and dye the hair? The hair is already rooted in there pretty firmly, so by dying it it'll still be tough to damage it! She would probably be able to keep brushing it! :) And then you could paint on it, of course, since it's blank!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Summer-blade

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?id=100000958584055
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 06:44:57 PM »
I've made customs for kids before, I would recommend extra glue to hold the hair, and double sealing the paint. I made a  Baltimore Ravens custom for a coworker's seven year old grand daughter and put two layers of modge podge on it, that was a year ago and the pony is still in one piece just as good as the day it came off my work bench.   

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • 'Scuse me, just here to steal all your TE's. Ta
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 02:47:28 PM »
I made a G3 Styling size custom for a little girl this Christmas and according to her mum, she's still perfect! She has FBR, hand-painted details and sculpted lettering. Apparently Princess Daisy (as she's called) goes everywhere with them in Daisy (the little girl)'s wheeled bag. She gets her hair done and sits at the table in restaurants etc.

She was sealed with mod Podge maybe three times? and then once over with Testor's and then the shiny bits with Triple Thick.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal