collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are your MLP-Peeves?  (Read 6814 times)

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
Re: What are your MLP-Peeves?
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2014, 04:50:20 PM »
Thanks for the responses on the Pinkie Pie one. Some other things that bother me are as follows.

The main one (and the only one that directly connects to MLP, though MLP is where I notice the other things more) is that people are still reluctant to even try to watch the G3 episodes/movies.  When they are beautifully writen, animated and acted.  I can't believe that to this day people write of G3 as being simply done, and only able to appeal to younger viewers like it was some baby show - even if it was aimed at the younger viewers (I honestly don't care if it was) nothing could be further from the truth.

At no point does G3 talk down to its audience, there is a clear storyline in each episode, and each character has a clear personality and some of which are very relatable.  Many of the storylines in G3 can clearly be enjoyed by all ages and genders, and the majority of it is pretty much what FIM started out as (and what FIM constantly gets praised for being).

I'm not saying G3 is perfect, I'm not saying any generation is perfect, but it's a lot better than people give it credit for.

The other two things (which can apply to any fandom really, but I notice it more with MLP) is how people don't get that shipping is a) not a sexual thing, and b) doesn't even have to be a romantic thing.  Don't get me wrong, I love romantic ships, and always have, but people forget that simply being friends is a form of shipping.

The second is how everything has to be a meme even if it's not.  I am sure that a meme exists of the things that are being acused of being memes, but the original existed first right?  So are we no longer allowed to be fans of the original?

What I mean is (and this is more FIM) things like Scootachicken and Fluttertree are memes, yet they they both originate from the show (though everybrony forgets that Scootachicken did) and are mostly used as memes - there is very little ways that anyone can use these, and not look like they are doing anything other than... meme-ing.

However, even if a meme has been made out of other things, if we simply refer to it, could we not simply be refering to the scene or line because they like it?  "20% Cooler" for example will never be a meme to me, it is simply an expression.

Basically people think that we only refer to these things for the sake of it, but it's more of a nostaliga thing for the most part, or because it helped us relate to the characters - even the two things I mentioned, which are more meme like than a simple phrase could even hold sentimental value for some (I quite liked Scootachicken at first because it was one of the first things I heard when I was becoming a brony, and I remember it well because I learned of it backwards-ish.  I got annoyed of it because everybrony kept using it wrongly, and forgot what it meant).

I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Dreamer

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2014, 10:46:07 PM »
Some people find the 'nirvana' term offensive, but what about 'pony cancer'?

Offline Stars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • 'You're special to me!' ~ Sweet Berry
    • View Profile
    • The Cave of the Past - My Blog
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2014, 11:30:43 PM »

Speaking as someone who's mother suffered from cancer and who's grandfather still is, I don't find the term offensive. Not in the slightest.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you to Nence for my lovely Rosie Teapony and Shiverdam for my Rosie Seapony <3
3DS Friend Code: 1805 - 2156 - 2596 | Mii: Ellie | AC: Nellie - Town: Phenac | Pokemon Y: Eleanor

Rainfeather

« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2014, 02:11:38 AM »

The other two things (which can apply to any fandom really, but I notice it more with MLP) is how people don't get that shipping is a) not a sexual thing, and b) doesn't even have to be a romantic thing.  Don't get me wrong, I love romantic ships, and always have, but people forget that simply being friends is a form of shipping.

Wait what? are you actually reffering to the act of transporting merchandise to one and each other, or am I unawear of some kind of slang?

Offline Stars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • 'You're special to me!' ~ Sweet Berry
    • View Profile
    • The Cave of the Past - My Blog
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2014, 03:32:18 AM »
Shipping is short for relationship, for example one of my shippings is the pairing of Link and Marin from The Legend of Zelda

Thank you to Nence for my lovely Rosie Teapony and Shiverdam for my Rosie Seapony <3
3DS Friend Code: 1805 - 2156 - 2596 | Mii: Ellie | AC: Nellie - Town: Phenac | Pokemon Y: Eleanor

Rainfeather

« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2014, 03:45:39 AM »
Shipping is short for relationship, for example one of my shippings is the pairing of Link and Marin from The Legend of Zelda

Hahaha ok  :lol: I allmost got scared that some people who I traded with here had seen it as something sexual  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2014, 03:49:29 AM »

I have seen instances of it. Personally, I don't get why "age spots" or another term that is less likely to hurt or offend people can't be used (plus "age spots" is immediately obvious as to what is being referred to, whereas "Pony cancer" really isn't to the average person or newbie to ponies).
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2014, 05:32:24 AM »
This is more kind of a random experience but went to Hot Topic to get Trixie and Twilight vinyls and they had them on this ridiculous high shelf so that you couldn't even see them or pick out a certain one you wanted. Which drives me insane because I am very picky and want to look at every single paint job. Then when I asked the clerk to get some down for me...instead of getting the ladder she just took a big stick and whacked them off the shelf sending them crashing to the floor then picked it up and handed it to me like here you go!! I was like NOOOO!! Stop!!! :shocked:

OMG! This is beyond weird! Why would someone DO that?? Nice customer service, guys. Nice.

Post Merge: May 19, 2014, 05:44:31 AM

This whole 'my ponies come from a smoke-free, animal-free home'.  :huh:

I can't explain why clearly.

I can get that. I have animals in my home but it doesn't mean that I rub my ponies all over them

:lol: :lol: I have a lively imagination.

Hehe, now I'm having silly visions of people rubbing ponies on their cats. My cats would put up with that for about .2 seconds.

For me, I agree that it's just awful when people list common ponies for ridiculous prices. It is usually out of ignorance, but it is frustrating, and I wonder if those ponies will ever get loving homes when the owner is convinced that they can get $40 for a fair condition Peachy.

LOL sometimes kitties just love ponies, k?! One of mine has to inspect just about everything that comes into our house, she's so old and senile I just let her, poor dear. Often she's up on the bed with my parcels, sniffing, smooge-ing and sometimes cleaning ponies well before I get a chance to, lol! Please note however that all ponies that go in or out of my collection are cleaned before they do so - so no Macbeth drool on ponies, don't stress guys and girls!

Aw, that's actually really sweet. :) Thankfully my cats leave my ponies alone generally, even ones level with them on the bottom of a shelf. What does get my goat is when ponies are innocent casualties to their exploring. Usually if the cats get it in their head to try to jump up on our entertainment center and the pony shelf nearby, even though there's no room for them, I'll come home to find a bunch of ponies on the floor. >.<

My cat, Hoku, gets absurdly affectionate when I go into my pony room. He follows me in there then rubs his cheeks on me and anything else he can get to. He must think this is a specially designated Sarah/Hoku bonding zone. Okay, Hoku! Whatever! Just stay away from my porcelains!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 05:45:05 AM by ponyqueen »

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2014, 07:01:04 AM »
This whole 'my ponies come from a smoke-free, animal-free home'.  :huh:

I can't explain why clearly.

But smoke-free is good. Sometimes you can't get the smell out of the toys anymore if the previous owner smoked near them (especially doll clothes and vinyl toys). And animals... lots of people are allergic. I have a shorthaired dog and her hairs get into everything.
Also, some pets smell and that could get onto the toys as well. I always appreciate when people talk about the environment of their collections.

About the rubbing on pets... uhm, have you seen the "show me your ponies on/with your pets" threads? :lol:

GlitterHoof

« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
I tried to read through all these, but kinda skimmed through so not sure if this was brought up...

This has happened to me on eBay a few times with ponies and several times with other non pony stuff: When you get something for a really good price (maybe even lower than what it has been recently sold for) and the seller contacts you with some variation of the excuse "Oh no! I'm so sorry, but I can't seem to find this item anymore. I must have already sold it and just forgot." I always feel like they didn't sell the item for as high as they hoped and decided to back out of it.

I mean, if you have a price in mind you would like to sell something for, then put a reserve price on it or start at a low end price you find acceptable :/

On the other hand, if you did in fact already sell the pony/item or you lost it...try to prepare better for selling  >_<

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2014, 12:31:07 PM »
I tried to read through all these, but kinda skimmed through so not sure if this was brought up...

This has happened to me on eBay a few times with ponies and several times with other non pony stuff: When you get something for a really good price (maybe even lower than what it has been recently sold for) and the seller contacts you with some variation of the excuse "Oh no! I'm so sorry, but I can't seem to find this item anymore. I must have already sold it and just forgot." I always feel like they didn't sell the item for as high as they hoped and decided to back out of it.

I mean, if you have a price in mind you would like to sell something for, then put a reserve price on it or start at a low end price you find acceptable :/

On the other hand, if you did in fact already sell the pony/item or you lost it...try to prepare better for selling  >_<

This *was* actually brought up by someone else, and echoed by a couple others (i think), and I'm not commenting to make you feel badly for bringing it up again (lol!) but because it makes me sad that so many people, bidding in good faith, experience this!! Is it one particular ebay seller, or are there multiple sellers doing this? >.<

Offline SubmarineHallucination

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Nothing is Astuter than a computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2014, 01:14:36 PM »
For me...

1. Fashion style/zilla wings
2. Bronies lumping all the previous gens together
3. Hasbro lying by saying that they don't own the rights to certain G1s (Firefly, anyone?)
4. The lack of Applejack and Rarity in merchandise
5. How up and down TE Bright Eyes price is... I've seen her for $5 and $40.
6. Those bling pony phone cases... they creep me out.
7. NO SWEETIE BELLE BLIND BAG YET!
Everybody needs a friend!
ISO Sweet Stuff and Honeycomb!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2014, 01:30:57 PM »
I hope you don't mind me asking, but by this do you mean that you don't like it when bronies create fanon where the generations share a world or meet up with each other, do you mean when they dismiss the previous gens as simply "the old MLP"?
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline SubmarineHallucination

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Nothing is Astuter than a computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2014, 02:00:48 PM »
I hope you don't mind me asking, but by this do you mean that you don't like it when bronies create fanon where the generations share a world or meet up with each other, do you mean when they dismiss the previous gens as simply "the old MLP"?

Calling it the "old MLP" and think it was all the same before FiM.
Everybody needs a friend!
ISO Sweet Stuff and Honeycomb!

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »
Thanks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal