collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

thoughts on the SDCC exclusive?

want the pony & spike
want the doll
want both
don't want either
*shakes fist @ hasbro!*

Author Topic: SDCC exclusive - EXCLUSIVES ON HASBRO TOYSHOP  (Read 44845 times)

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC exclusive - EXCLUSIVE REVEALED!!! Page 26
« Reply #855 on: June 27, 2014, 09:58:26 AM »

I actually am not a big fan of the art ponies either.  They had too much going on.  I would by far prefer an exclusive that looks like a normal pony.  Like if they came up with a FS pony with a unique symbol for her and her own color scheme, but they don't have to do anything fancy.   

Agreed! Pretty much the only art pony I like is the underwater one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #856 on: June 27, 2014, 10:16:22 AM »

I actually am not a big fan of the art ponies either.  They had too much going on.  I would by far prefer an exclusive that looks like a normal pony.  Like if they came up with a FS pony with a unique symbol for her and her own color scheme, but they don't have to do anything fancy.   

How could you not like the Junko Pony she's gorgeous. Personally I like all the G3 Art fair Ponies. They are the only G3s I'm not getting rid of. As for the current Fair Exclusive no thanks.  You know they have the molds for the G1s from the Retro Re-releases - an awesome idea is for them to do a Retro Firefly with a G4 Brushable size Firefly 2 Pack sort of thing. :D That would make both the Bronies and G1 Collectors Happy!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: June 27, 2014, 10:17:41 AM »

How could you not like the Junko Pony she's gorgeous. Personally I like all the G3 Art fair Ponies. They are the only G3s I'm not getting rid of. As for the current Fair Exclusive no thanks.  You know they have the molds for the G1s from the Retro Re-releases - an awesome idea is for them to do a Retro Firefly with a G4 Brushable size Firefly 2 Pack sort of thing. :D That would make both the Bronies and G1 Collectors Happy!

Totes forgot the Junko pony, thanks for reminding me- she is awesome. I dunno though aside from that they don't have much personality to me because to me, they aren't "ponies", but rather blank molds with some designs on them. That's just me though.

Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #858 on: June 27, 2014, 10:27:09 AM »
If you like the Junko pony you'll probably like 2011 SDCC as well. She's my favorite.

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: June 27, 2014, 10:46:00 AM »
Ok, I've had some time for the shock to wear off and now can say I guess sdcc pony isn't bad for what it is. I still don't want one. I still don't think it's a good representative of MLP or what most adult collectors want from an exclusive & "Power Ponies" is still one of my least favorite episodes of FiM, but at least it's a new character and it looks like her tendrils are moveable which is a neat feature. She looks a little cooler in that 2nd pic than the 1st and will probably look cooler still in box. It's not worth $50 to me though. I'm over being disappointed and back to being just relieved I don't like it enough to have to try to hunt one down.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: June 27, 2014, 10:49:04 AM »

I don't know that using the retro molds would even be necessary.  There were a lot of complaints about those when they were used.  Even if they turned out perfect, most of us already own an original Firefly so why would we buy another one just like it?  And they wouldn't appeal to the new fans (I'm talking about both bronies and children).  If they just did a Firefly character in a G4 mold, the character would appeal for sentimental reasons were as the mold would make it different enough that most people would be willing to buy it even if they already own the G1.  At the same time, it would appeal more to newer fans.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #861 on: June 27, 2014, 10:49:47 AM »

See I'm not a fan of the art ponies either, yea some of them look pretty cool, just not something I am interested in, not just because I'm not a G3 fan, but because they aren't for me. If they made G4 art ponies like the G3 I wouldn't buy them either. I'm mainly interested in more boy characters, and villains at the moment, still yet to have a properly made Chrysalis (crosses fingers for Funko) as for boys the only one making them is Funko right now so I'll keep buying from them. (blind bags don't count in my head) I would be interested in G1 ponies as G4s for sure it doesn't even matter which ponies, of course I would prefer certain ones, but still I would buy them either blind bag, brushie, or Funko, I think G1s would make great sets or exclusives for the MLP toy fair, they could make 500 of them, they would sell just fine.

I wish Funko did G1 repaints for the MLP toy fair how awesome would that be!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 10:51:49 AM by Aquatic Neon »

For Sale Wants

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #862 on: June 27, 2014, 10:52:13 AM »

I don't know that using the retro molds would even be necessary.  There were a lot of complaints about those when they were used.  Even if they turned out perfect, most of us already own an original Firefly so why would we buy another one just like it?  And they wouldn't appeal to the new fans (I'm talking about both bronies and children).  If they just did a Firefly character in a G4 mold, the character would appeal for sentimental reasons were as the mold would make it different enough that most people would be willing to buy it even if they already own the G1.  At the same time, it would appeal more to newer fans.

Not all of us like the new molds. I myself hate them. The only way I would get over my hate for them is if they started putting the symbols on both sides again. - Maybe make Firefly in a different pose then like the Movie Firefly.
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: June 27, 2014, 11:02:30 AM »

4) Hasbro does NOT MAKE MONEY from the old ponies, which is why they are focused on G4. Hasbro only makes money selling current ponies to wholesellers.

Convention exclusives aren't created to make money, though.  Convention exclusives are meant to reward followers of the brand, to pump up excitement so that people will buy stuff from stores the rest of the year, and to give the toy designers a chance to do fun things that wouldn't be able to sell to the mass market. 

Collectors may be be 0.00001% of Hasbro's audience, but the convention exclusives are 0.00001% of Hasbro's sales, you know?  Like, even if they didn't sell a single "Transformers 80s hair metal band" set, it would still not be worth mentioning in their quarterly report.

This.

I would quote this multiple times just so people who are only reading the last page of the thread see it. Hasbro is a business, yes, but not EVERYthing a business does is 100% about an immediate return profit.

For example, where I work we often order pens or tote bags with the company name printed on them. These orders are usually $300-500 a pop. We then give away these items for free. We see NO RETURN for these items. We only do it to spread the name of the company and to give our students a small gift.

I know this is not a perfect comparison (not only because my company is WAY smaller than Hasbro). But the fact is, these exclusives are not supposed to be about instant profit. This is a treat for the fans, because Hasbro KNOWS for a fact that making the fans happy leads to more committed buyers further down the line. And I would bet hard money that Hasbro factors in the fact that they won't necessarily make a profit on them when they produce them. In fact it wasn't until the year after the HUGE demand for Bubble Butt pony that they jacked up the price from $20 to $50, realizing that with demand that high they can increase the price and actually see some money from this which had been, in the past, not very profitable to them.

So keep in mind these exclusives are SUPPOSED to be rewards and promotional items made for the fans, not a product for Hasbro to make instant profit on. We should definitely be telling them if we're unsatisfied with what the item is, or the price tag on it, or the quality of it. And not scared that if we speak up they will take away their shiny toys and leave us with nothing. Because this is supposed to be an item for us, not an item for Hasbro to see a huge return.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: June 27, 2014, 11:07:30 AM »

Not all of us like the new molds. I myself hate them. The only way I would get over my hate for them is if they started putting the symbols on both sides again. - Maybe make Firefly in a different pose then like the Movie Firefly.

True, but I am afraid that we just aren't going to get exactly what we want.  Hasbro has made it clear that they want to focus on their current line, which only makes sense.  If as someone else said the exclusive is more for promotional reasons than out right sales, then it makes perfect sense to concentrate on G4.  Why would they cater to us as a group who demonstrates that they will not buy Hasbro's current products in stores?  From their perspective, it would be a total waste of promotional money/time.  I am afraid that if we aren't willing to compromise somewhere that we will just be setting ourselves up for constant disappointment.

Post Merge: June 27, 2014, 11:29:07 AM

4) Hasbro does NOT MAKE MONEY from the old ponies, which is why they are focused on G4. Hasbro only makes money selling current ponies to wholesellers.

Convention exclusives aren't created to make money, though.  Convention exclusives are meant to reward followers of the brand, to pump up excitement so that people will buy stuff from stores the rest of the year, and to give the toy designers a chance to do fun things that wouldn't be able to sell to the mass market. 

Collectors may be be 0.00001% of Hasbro's audience, but the convention exclusives are 0.00001% of Hasbro's sales, you know?  Like, even if they didn't sell a single "Transformers 80s hair metal band" set, it would still not be worth mentioning in their quarterly report.

This.

I would quote this multiple times just so people who are only reading the last page of the thread see it. Hasbro is a business, yes, but not EVERYthing a business does is 100% about an immediate return profit.

For example, where I work we often order pens or tote bags with the company name printed on them. These orders are usually $300-500 a pop. We then give away these items for free. We see NO RETURN for these items. We only do it to spread the name of the company and to give our students a small gift.

I know this is not a perfect comparison (not only because my company is WAY smaller than Hasbro). But the fact is, these exclusives are not supposed to be about instant profit. This is a treat for the fans, because Hasbro KNOWS for a fact that making the fans happy leads to more committed buyers further down the line. And I would bet hard money that Hasbro factors in the fact that they won't necessarily make a profit on them when they produce them. In fact it wasn't until the year after the HUGE demand for Bubble Butt pony that they jacked up the price from $20 to $50, realizing that with demand that high they can increase the price and actually see some money from this which had been, in the past, not very profitable to them.

So keep in mind these exclusives are SUPPOSED to be rewards and promotional items made for the fans, not a product for Hasbro to make instant profit on. We should definitely be telling them if we're unsatisfied with what the item is, or the price tag on it, or the quality of it. And not scared that if we speak up they will take away their shiny toys and leave us with nothing. Because this is supposed to be an item for us, not an item for Hasbro to see a huge return.

I think that we should express to Hasbro what we do and do not like. We just need to keep in mind that there are just somethings that Hasbro will and won't do.

Let me take your analogy for a minute.  If enough of your customers came in and said "Hey, I would really love for these pens to be blue instead of red."  Then your company would probably have no problem choosing a different color when they ordered more.   However, if a different small group of customers came in and said "We don't want pens, we want coffee mugs instead.  And oh, btw, we are no longer going to be using your services anymore because we don't like the current products."  If your company is making good money on the current products and has no intention on returning to the old products, why would they change their promotional material to please the small group that isn't making them money?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 11:29:07 AM by Sunset »

Offline Magdalen

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: June 27, 2014, 11:37:07 AM »
I might (and it's a BIG might) consider the doll.  The pony is kind of awkward and I don't know or watch the show (I didn't care for it) so it's hard to connect with these ponies that don't look like ponies for me.  I feel like I need to know the character to like her, since it doesn't really appeal to my love of horses.  Sorry to the G4 fans but I don't like the mold much.  I have a few, but I'm over the line.

The doll isn't too bad and if I don't get my hands on either the EAH or MH exclusive I might consider her.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #866 on: June 27, 2014, 11:47:14 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they completely redo and revamp the LPS last year with new molds? They need to do that with MLP the hasbro molds need some help they don't look like the ponies in the show, if you look at the proportions the G4 toys from hasbro look kinda like G3.5 ponies, of course not nearly as bad, but the ponies in FIM have normal longer bodies not short stubbly little bodies with giant heads. I think they should do lots more molds more like the Funkos bodies, but then with more poses raised hooves, laying down, sitting, walking, closed wings, etc.

Spoiler

I think funko nailed the body mold, hasbros are not like the show really

For Sale Wants

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: June 27, 2014, 12:22:34 PM »
What does that have to do with anything? I think the G4 mold looks fine aside from the lack of poses. It doesn't look like G3.5 to me.

Offline Spectrum

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • no bass in the jazz room
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: June 27, 2014, 12:25:25 PM »
The only problem I have with G4 is the microscopic size and the lack of poses. The mold itself is perfectly fine.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: June 27, 2014, 12:26:33 PM »
I also think the G4 mold looks fine.  I like it a lot and I don't really need more poses.  I also like what Funko does.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal