collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

thoughts on the SDCC exclusive?

want the pony & spike
want the doll
want both
don't want either
*shakes fist @ hasbro!*

Author Topic: SDCC exclusive - EXCLUSIVES ON HASBRO TOYSHOP  (Read 46436 times)

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: SDCC exclusive - EXCLUSIVE REVEALED!!! Page 26
« Reply #870 on: June 27, 2014, 12:26:58 PM »
What does that have to do with anything? I think the G4 mold looks fine aside from the lack of poses. It doesn't look like G3.5 to me.

They don't look like G3.5 really, but it seems like they don't look like the ponies on the show really either lots of people have said that, I think if they did a complete revamp and come out with lots of new poses it would be really successful, some don't collect G4 toys because they say they think they look like deer.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

For Sale Wants

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: June 27, 2014, 12:42:03 PM »
I like G4s having pretty much just one pose that is very basic and simple, and I think they look fine. I don't know what that has to do with anything though.
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline kandipony

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
  • "always dresses in style!"
    • View Profile
    • kandipony
« Reply #872 on: June 27, 2014, 12:44:41 PM »
I can see how people would think they look like deer. I know my 1st impression of g4 ponies was that they looked like alien kitties :lol: I've also heard someone say they looked like technicolor chihuahuas haha  :silly:

*speaking of molds I must say my BIGGEST pet peeve with g4 ponies are their tail placement. hasbro practically put them where a pony's butt should be, like they're pooping out their tails! soooo not cute. fortunately it only affects the standard brushable single mold. the raised hoof and princess molds all have nice tail placement.

I mean, just look:
pooping tail, as I so affectionately call it

this is a little better

and the princesses have the best IMO.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:58:22 PM by kandipony »

Offline Aquatic Neon

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #873 on: June 27, 2014, 01:01:22 PM »
I see what you mean Kandi! I think the Princess mold, filly molds look great, I think it's the regular earth, peg, and uni they need to work on the proportions are off.

For Sale Wants

Offline Malicieuse

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 27, 2014, 01:04:49 PM »
What does that have to do with anything? I think the G4 mold looks fine aside from the lack of poses. It doesn't look like G3.5 to me.

They don't look like G3.5 really, but it seems like they don't look like the ponies on the show really either lots of people have said that, I think if they did a complete revamp and come out with lots of new poses it would be really successful, some don't collect G4 toys because they say they think they look like deer.
But...the characters on the show don't really look much like ponies either. They got the same short noses and big ears.

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #875 on: June 27, 2014, 01:11:06 PM »
The G1 cartoon didn't look much like the toys either, in my opinion. In my eyes, looking exactly as they do on the show isn't a priority. I actually really like the deer appearance!

I do agree that it is really boring seeing the same mold over and over again! That happened with the Bore 7 at the end of G3. I suppose it's cheaper for Hasbro to just reuse the same mold and I suspect the standing pose also has the boon of being harder to break (less bent or pop out pieces that are begging to be snapped off). It's just incredibly boring to see that with each and every pony.

Offline Aquatic Neon

• View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #876 on: June 27, 2014, 01:19:50 PM »

But...the characters on the show don't really look much like ponies either. They got the same short noses and big ears.

I think the ponies look like the original G1 ponies just with bigger eyes, ears, and shorter snouts otherwise I think the ponies are about the same

But anyways does anyone know how big the pony is yet for sure? Any pictures of them in box yet? Does her hair move?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:24:03 PM by Aquatic Neon »

For Sale Wants

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: June 27, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »
I think that we should express to Hasbro what we do and do not like. We just need to keep in mind that there are just somethings that Hasbro will and won't do.

Let me take your analogy for a minute.  If enough of your customers came in and said "Hey, I would really love for these pens to be blue instead of red."  Then your company would probably have no problem choosing a different color when they ordered more.   However, if a different small group of customers came in and said "We don't want pens, we want coffee mugs instead.  And oh, btw, we are no longer going to be using your services anymore because we don't like the current products."  If your company is making good money on the current products and has no intention on returning to the old products, why would they change their promotional material to please the small group that isn't making them money?

If there were people in singles or in small groups who consistently approached us asking for a change in promotional items, be it a change in just the ink color or a change to something entirely different like mugs, we would definitely consider their request. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease," as the expression goes. Doesn't mean we would obey them automatically, but we would definitely consider it. I believe the same goes for Hasbro.

You say "we should express to Hasbro what we want, but some things Hasbro won't do." If you really believe we have no choice in changing their mind, then why would we voice our opinions at all? It would be just talking to a wall. I think we DO have a chance of making a change, and that's why we should tell them. Of course I can't guarantee that Hasbro would listen to us, but they definitely won't make any change if we say and do nothing.

As someone else pointed out, there have been times Hasbro has appeared to have listened to us before. Specifically G4 Minty, who was released after an online campaign.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: June 27, 2014, 01:34:23 PM »
I can see how people would think they look like deer. I know my 1st impression of g4 ponies was that they looked like alien kitties :lol: I've also heard someone say they looked like technicolor chihuahuas haha  :silly:

*speaking of molds I must say my BIGGEST pet peeve with g4 ponies are their tail placement. hasbro practically put them where a pony's butt should be, like they're pooping out their tails! soooo not cute. fortunately it only affects the standard brushable single mold. the raised hoof and princess molds all have nice tail placement.

I mean, just look:
pooping tail, as I so affectionately call it

Now I can't unsee it...

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: June 27, 2014, 01:41:01 PM »

I'm not saying she isn't articulated, just that it's not the same kind of quality and detail as a MH doll. Like a MH doll has 11-13 points of articulation, whereas an EQD only has 7-9pts of articulation (based on the dolls that have pegs and not feet).

If we are just talking articulation the fully jointed EQG dolls had all the same joints as a female MH doll minus the wrists. And thankfully they got rid of the painted on tops on the basic dolls.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: June 27, 2014, 02:28:50 PM »
I think that we should express to Hasbro what we do and do not like. We just need to keep in mind that there are just somethings that Hasbro will and won't do.

Let me take your analogy for a minute.  If enough of your customers came in and said "Hey, I would really love for these pens to be blue instead of red."  Then your company would probably have no problem choosing a different color when they ordered more.   However, if a different small group of customers came in and said "We don't want pens, we want coffee mugs instead.  And oh, btw, we are no longer going to be using your services anymore because we don't like the current products."  If your company is making good money on the current products and has no intention on returning to the old products, why would they change their promotional material to please the small group that isn't making them money?

If there were people in singles or in small groups who consistently approached us asking for a change in promotional items, be it a change in just the ink color or a change to something entirely different like mugs, we would definitely consider their request. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease," as the expression goes. Doesn't mean we would obey them automatically, but we would definitely consider it. I believe the same goes for Hasbro.

You say "we should express to Hasbro what we want, but some things Hasbro won't do." If you really believe we have no choice in changing their mind, then why would we voice our opinions at all? It would be just talking to a wall. I think we DO have a chance of making a change, and that's why we should tell them. Of course I can't guarantee that Hasbro would listen to us, but they definitely won't make any change if we say and do nothing.

As someone else pointed out, there have been times Hasbro has appeared to have listened to us before. Specifically G4 Minty, who was released after an online campaign.

What I was trying to get at is that Hasbro might make changes such as giving us different characters/a brushable hair exclusive/ or lowering the price (I.e. Changing the color of the pens) but I highly doubt that they will go back to using the retro molds (the mugs).   The "pens" promote their current line but the "mugs" only appeal to a very small number (which we are a very small number).  What is more, many of the people clambering for the "mugs" are the same people who are *not* buying the current products (G4 ponies).  If Hasbro has a choice of appealing to those who are buying their current product and those who are not, then they are going to choose the fans of the current product.

In short, I am saying that we need to choose our battles.  We need to work on campaigning for the things that Hasbro *might* do and stop banging our heads on the wall about the things that Hasbro is *not* going to do.

In regards to Minty, they made her partly because they had already thought of making her (they had already made a prototype) and she was in a G4 mold.  I think we *might* be able to convince them to make G1 characters as G4.  But I do not think that they will ever go back to using the retro molds.  Remember, they already tried that and it was a bust.  I don't think they will try it again.

Also, think on this.  Almost all of the recent retro stuff we have seen lately is licensed.  That means Hasbro gets some money but none of the risk.  It is the licensees that will be out money if their products don't sell.  So it is no sweat off Hasbro's' shoulder if the retro products fail.  However, when it comes to their own products, I think they would need a lot more convincing.

Offline Starly

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: June 27, 2014, 02:38:29 PM »
Sometimes I feel like the entire MLP fanbase sees the franchise as just G1 and G4, and that everyone likes one or the other. I mean, I like those two the most too, but really now!
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: June 27, 2014, 02:40:47 PM »
Just saw the Transformers Movie and there was a HUGE nod to MLP in it! No searching and hunting for Pinkie Pie this time, this one was obvious and in your face (and NOT PP!!!)...though i don't agree with what she turned into. It was great to see and i thank Hasbro for it :) :cheers: THANK YOU HASBRO!!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 02:43:43 PM by SeashellnBubbles »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: June 27, 2014, 03:30:39 PM »
As a note, we are not adding the summary to the top of the thread. It kind of defeats the purpose of the thread if people cant make their own thoughts and comments on the issues raised :( Summarising as though its a conclusion makes it seem like its a collective opinion, I think I have seen enough additional comments which means not everyone is 100% on board with everything supposedly concluded.

We dont summarise...and effectively kill threads by almost saying "this is the truth...now go with it Arena peeps". People can join this discussion and ask whatever they wish, when they wish. Any summary of the situation - if its anything other than "this is the Fair/SDCC exclusive" - is by its nature personal opinion [even if agreed with by many].

The summary kind of implies that "we have discussed this and agreed this...so move on". Its a long thread but no longer than some others out there - people just need to read to catch up. Whats the harm in asking about things or raising issues which have been discussed earlier? 
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: June 27, 2014, 03:43:35 PM »
Sometimes I feel like the entire MLP fanbase sees the franchise as just G1 and G4, and that everyone likes one or the other. I mean, I like those two the most too, but really now!

I agree that g2 tends to get short shrift being the least popular gen.  But it seems natural in general that the most discussion will be primarily about the current gen G4 and secondly about the most nostalgic gen G1.  In regards to G3, it is neither the newest thing nor quite old enough to evoke a lot of nostalgia.  In addition, they are still new and plentiful enough to get dozens for change in the secondary market and several G3 characters have already made the jump to G4 both as brushables and blind bags.  There is even a fashion style coming soon!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal