collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4s: Why so small?  (Read 944 times)

Offline Trinity

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Also known as Elfwink.
    • View Profile
    • Elfwink's Pixels
Re: G4s: Why so small?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2014, 06:30:06 AM »
If I were a kid, I would find the regular-sized G4s easy to carry around. (Aren't they just perfect to sneak into a handbag?) :)
:rainbow: also known as Elfwink | pixel art!

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2014, 07:38:10 AM »
Ironically the minis have gotten bigger. The blind bags are much bigger than the G1 Petites.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline CupcakeLoverXx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Pony Lover since 2012!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2014, 07:54:20 AM »
I used to think the G4 brushables were ridiculously small compared to G3's and thought that I would never buy them. Well,I quickly changed my mind :P You quickly get used to the size and think about it this way - they take up less space on the shelf! I still think they can be played with fine,in fact maybe better in some ways as they are a nicer size for little kids to hold.

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2014, 09:04:35 AM »
And they just get smaller and smaller with G4...big focus on ponyville size and even the new POP line is smaller than the playful pony size.

As others have said, its cost. Hasbro want to keep ponies at pocket money prices. Despite inflation [and even factoring in improved production/logistics costs], a playful size Twilight Sparkle costs the same as her G1 namesake from over 30 years ago. There are not very many other products you can name which are the same price 3 decades apart - unless there have been sacrifices made to do that. So for G4 is size of product, size of packaging and quality of finish.
Exactly, the Breyers I collect have tripled or more in price from when I was young.  The quality of molds though and paint work has gone up but not enough at times to warrant where the price is now.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Ponytails

• Shenanigans Pony
  • Trade Count: (+134)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I love Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2014, 09:57:33 AM »
Hasbro stated way back when G4s started (I can't find the quote now) that they picked a smaller size because it was easier for little girls to hold.  Remember the target range for these toys is younger children (4-6 years).

As a preschool teacher, I have put out in my room G1, G3, and G4 ponies.  The g4 ponies are actually ideal for 4 year old hands.  Though the G4 playsets CANNOT hold up under actual playing (unless I superglue them together, and even then they break into pieces), unlike the G3 and G1 playsets which are super sturdy.

Though their small size does make it super hard for me with my big hands to do their hair in fancy styles.  I still prefer G3s for hair styling.
My G3 grail is LS Pinkie Pie MIB.  If you have her for sale or trade, I WILL pay.

Offline Magdalen

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »
I think it has to do with multiple factors, the economy, the trend to make small toys, and possibly G4 being easier to hold for 4 year olds.  Tho I think that last one is a little silly, considering I never remember having a problem with G1s when I was that age.

I don't collected G4 all that much because I've never got into the show, there's not a whole lot of characters in the toy line, quality is so so, they look odd, and I'm not a big fan of the smaller size.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal