collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Popular books you never want to read!  (Read 8019 times)

Offline SubmarineHallucination

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Nothing is Astuter than a computer!
    • View Profile
Re: Popular books you never want to read!
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2014, 07:21:30 AM »
I had to read the first Hunger Games for school. Complete waste of time.

Twilight and it's series, Fifty Shades of Grey, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, The Son of Hunger Games (Oops I meant Divergent XD), and anything by James Patterson (who doesn't even write his own books)...

If I'm going to read a popular book, it'd be a good one. I enjoyed The Invention of Hugo Cabret. TFiOS was pretty good too. If I'm going to read a book at all, it's going to a classic, an offbeat short story, or a good manga.

I'm not much of a reader, I'm more of a movie and music person honestly.
Everybody needs a friend!
ISO Sweet Stuff and Honeycomb!

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2014, 07:48:39 AM »
50 Shades of Grey
Twilight
Harry Potter (always found it interesting that in primary school, no one liked this book - Cue HP craze, everyone is reading it but me)
Game of Thrones
The Hunger Games (Battle Royale FTW!)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2014, 08:02:26 AM »
I can't think of anything popular that I don't want to read but I know I wish I had never read the Sookie Stackhouse (Southern Vampire Mysteries) series.  The ending SUCKED big time imo.
The first ones, prior to the show, were pretty good but then it started suffering the fate of most paranormal romance series. "Which paranormal monster is she going to screw around with this book? :D"
I got through like 5 of the books and then gave up.
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2014, 08:15:54 AM »
Everything! The only books I read are old biographies and autobiographies. I'm not interested in other genres. I'm not into vampires, zombies, witches, etc. I rarely read books or watch movies that were written or filmed after the 1980s.

Noepse

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2014, 09:07:06 AM »
I've read all the Twilight book, I didn't necessary enjoy them but I thought it was worth seeing what all the fuss was about. I also read some chapters of Fifty Shades of Grey with some friends, that book was just awful! I did enjoy most of The Hunger Games.
The only books I probably wouldn't read is any of John Greens work. Mostly because the Internet has pretty much already spoiled everything. Ugh.

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
*smacks all the Inkheart haters* >:T

I'm kidding - we're all entitled to our own opinions. ;) Just because I love the series doesn't mean anyone else has to.

- Twilight
- His Dark Materials
- Anything by James Patterson - Maximum Ride was a waste of my time, although some parts were hilarious.
- Game of Thrones
- Spiderwick Chronicles - read the first two books, the first one was alright, lost interest after the second novel.

I'm sure there's more I can't think of at the moment...
I enjoyed The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

I'd like to see that book gain more attention; even with the movie adaption it's still pretty obscure.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:04:28 AM by Sundown »
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2014, 11:21:18 AM »
Twilight/Anything by Stephanie Meyer
Game of Thrones
Fifty Shades
John Green's stuff (It's too overhyped by hipsters, IMO :/)
Harry Potter (read the first four when I was a kid and never felt the need to keep reading it)
Instruments of Immortality
Mortal Instruments
The Hunger Games (Sorry, I think 'Battle Royale' was better)
The Eragon series (read the first book and got bored)
The Wheel of Time series
Most of today's YA books as they seem to all be inspired by the Twilight series/based around the same idea.  Though I can't really talk as I read 'Hush, Hush' and really liked it. >.>

With most of these, it's not that I hate them because they're popular, it's just their subject matter/writing style doesn't appeal to me.  I'm a very picky reader!

Sundown - Wow, I think you're the first person I've met who doesn't like James Patterson.  To each their own, though. :3

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2014, 12:45:13 PM »
I'll honestly give anything a read. When I was a kid I refused to read Harry Potter because I was a little jerk who thought it was "too popular". :P I wish I had. I flash read the series my first year of college and enjoyed them well enough, but I think I would have liked them a lot more if I'd read them through the eyes of a child. Too critical as an adult.

That said, I have no interest in John Green's books and that's a genre I actually like. I've read one he co-authored and was completely put off by his writing voice.

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2014, 06:01:08 PM »
It's OK if you guys have no intentions of reading these books.  But, keep in mind there are people who are fans of books like the Twilight series and The Hunger Games series.  Making a list of the books you never want to read is fine but going on and on about why is overdoing it.  I'm not being overly sensitive and I myself have made a response saying I don't want to read 50 Shades of Gray end of story.  Saying things like I am never reading the Twilight series because vampires who sparkle suck and I never want to read The Hunger Games, because it's a worthless piece of crap.  Yes, I know nobody said that about The Hungers Games, it's just an example.  I am just saying keep in mind there are fans too.  You guys have obviously never read these books so I can't see how you can form an opinion you know nothing about.  I can see if you read a couple of pages or saw the movie and decided you didn't like it.

Sometimes it's good to do your own research instead of listening to what others have told you about the books.  Decide for yourself.

Offline wiccanpony1

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2014, 07:13:52 AM »
I will read anything and everything regardless of if its popular or not lol
I have not read Harry potter or Hunger games but only because I dont have them yet lol I read so many different books it might take me a while to get round to them :) I have read many of the books on everyones Wont read lists and have enjoyed most of them lol

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2014, 07:30:07 AM »
I'll honestly give anything a read. When I was a kid I refused to read Harry Potter because I was a little jerk who thought it was "too popular". :P I wish I had. I flash read the series my first year of college and enjoyed them well enough, but I think I would have liked them a lot more if I'd read them through the eyes of a child. Too critical as an adult.

I was an 'adult' when several of the later harry potter books came out and have re-read them many many times as an adult and still enjoy them :) But I guess as I did start the series as a kid, that probably makes a difference. The books aged with me, I think. The first couple are lighter and more childlike and then they get darker and more complex and adult. I can see why the first book might be harder to really get into as an adult.

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2014, 07:41:09 AM »
It's OK if you guys have no intentions of reading these books.  But, keep in mind there are people who are fans of books like the Twilight series and The Hunger Games series.  Making a list of the books you never want to read is fine but going on and on about why is overdoing it.  I'm not being overly sensitive and I myself have made a response saying I don't want to read 50 Shades of Gray end of story.  Saying things like I am never reading the Twilight series because vampires who sparkle suck and I never want to read The Hunger Games, because it's a worthless piece of crap.  Yes, I know nobody said that about The Hungers Games, it's just an example.  I am just saying keep in mind there are fans too.  You guys have obviously never read these books so I can't see how you can form an opinion you know nothing about.  I can see if you read a couple of pages or saw the movie and decided you didn't like it.

Sometimes it's good to do your own research instead of listening to what others have told you about the books.  Decide for yourself.

Well said. There are books that I don't like but I have at least tried to read them before saying nope not to my taste. I'll read just about anything too. From romance novels to Sci fi novels. There are some authors that just grind my teeth like James Patterson. He is not to my taste at all. I have tried to read several of his books and just cannot get into them at all.

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2014, 08:08:12 AM »
Fifty shades... Nope no desire to read it at all

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2014, 08:23:55 AM »

But, it's all just personal preferences though, isn't it? If someone thinks sparkly vampires suck that is their opinion. I haven't seen anyone being especially disrespectful? I thought the thread was about books that simply haven't caught your interest, no matter how popular they may be with others, rather than books you "hate" or refuse to read. So I don't think anyone needs to take offence at what's being said here. I think someone listed the "His Dark Materials" series, and I happen to love that series, and I know it's good, but it obviously hasn't caught that posters attention, why should it hurt my feelings that they're not interested in it? I just shrug and think "their loss".

Books/series I have tried but won't continue with for various reasons:
Millennium
Eragon
Twilight
50 Shades
Dan Brown
Song of Fire & Ice

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2014, 08:42:50 AM »
I read too fast and usually end up reading all the popular series "just because" xD and with harry potter Im going to sound like a total hipster here, but I started reading that before it got popular (or at least before I noticed it get popular lmao) I bought year one in paperback because i was a kid and desperately needed to spend my money. my dad would say it was burning a hole in my pocket, so thats how i accidentally entered the world of harry potter, and honestly i still love it xD.

now can I list popular book series i wish i HAD NOT read? because twilight would be right up there, along with hunger games, even though there are parts that I still like, im not sure the writing was that great lol.
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal