collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A custom question  (Read 228 times)

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
A custom question
« on: April 15, 2014, 11:33:52 AM »
So this is half custom half pony rehab.
I'm looking to start helping some of the ponies that have lost something. The Precious Pockets their pockets and charms, the g1 secret ponies their saddles and keys. I could do a copy of the original one, or make it different, based on the request, and could even start making ones for g3 and g4 ponies.
But, I'm having a hard time with deciding the medium.
my options:
1: Instamorph plastic. It heats up in water and then cools down to the shape you want it to be. It matches the basic texture best. However, there is no complete curing process, so if the new owner drops the pony into hot water for a few minutes, it will be mold able and lose it's precise shape.
2: Resin. I've worked with resin before, and I'm comfortable with it until I have to start adding color. It has the second best texture but is a bit harder to work with and color. However, I'd need it anyway for certain ponies, as the other two options don't ever clear.
3: Clay. I work with clay daily, but it's texture doesn't match plastic the way I'd like it to. lots of color options.

I'm sort of leaning toward Resin, even though it'll be super annoying, but I wanted to get someone else's opinion.

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
Re: A custom question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:29:13 PM »
Having worked with Instamorph in the past, I'd say use it as a last resort because unless you're doing something very simple, it's terrible.  I bought it as to try and use for wings, and ended up using it to make a couple of business card holders at a con because it's just terrible to try and shape into anything.  Plus, it sticks to ponies, and removing it rips their vinyl.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 03:47:12 PM »
Resin sounds like the best option to me but I'm not the best judge.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 07:03:11 AM »
Starting to sounds like resin is going to be your best bet.  I know from experience shipping clay items can be trickier then shipping resin.  Are you talking making them from scratch?
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Karma

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Unofficial My Little Pony Museum
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:29:56 AM »
Depends, For the ponies I'm fixing, not customizing, I'll make a mold of a different ponies pocket/charm/saddle. For customizing I'll make the thing out of clay, make the mold then make the resin cast. I think the saddles will be hardest, since they're bigger and will require more clamps on the mold. But it makes me sad to see all the saddle-less ponies D8 So I'll start with making charms/accessories, move up to the pocket and try saddles when I'm secure in my ways~

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal