collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Jem and The Holograms  (Read 5360 times)

jemboi

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Jem and The Holograms
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2014, 12:08:14 PM »
They are all amazing!  I started buying them when they first started coming out, I even had Hollywood.  But I just couldn't keep up, and the money I was spending on them made me angry, so I ended up selling them all.  I wish I had a bigger disposable income though.  I would so copy that collection of yours.  It's awesome that you could share those pics so I could drool over them, that's for sure.

I'm glad you like them. :)

I totally understand where you're coming from. The money is insane! I can't keep up with these dolls forever so I'm hoping this is the last year of the Jem and the Holograms line with Integrity Toys. I think with Hasbro rebooting the brand in 2015, they'll likely take the license back for themselves. I can't see them sharing the license and potential profits with IT during the Jem revival. I so hope that's the case! I need a break!!!

Yeah, I think if they just didn't release so many at once, or only a half dozen a year, I may have been able to keep up, but it was just a barrage of $110 dolls within such a short period of time. They're totally worth it, but my wallet needed a break.

$120 dolls! I agree about releasing so many at a time and so often. However, I'm hoping that IT is pumping them out because they don't have a lot of time left on their license from Hasbro.

P. S. Does it kinda smart a little that Hollywood Jem is now worth up to $600? ???

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2014, 12:09:20 PM »
I sold her for close to that anyway... so at least it was a good investment :)

jemboi

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2014, 12:16:38 PM »
I sold her for close to that anyway... so at least it was a good investment :)

Oh, I didn't realize you recently sold off your collection. I was thinking you got out pretty early. I'm glad you were able to benefit from HJ's legendary status in the Jem community. Classic Jem is entering that status level as well. ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 12:18:40 PM by jemboi »

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2014, 12:24:50 PM »
yeah, I stopped buying them at the misfits, and then gradually sold them off.  Some I lost money on, most I made.  It obviously wasn't my intention when I bought them, though.

I do plan on inventing something that makes me Bill Gates rich, and then it won't really matter what they cost when I buy them back.  :P

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 02:16:02 PM »
They are all amazing!  I started buying them when they first started coming out, I even had Hollywood.  But I just couldn't keep up, and the money I was spending on them made me angry, so I ended up selling them all.  I wish I had a bigger disposable income though.  I would so copy that collection of yours.  It's awesome that you could share those pics so I could drool over them, that's for sure.

I'm glad you like them. :)

I totally understand where you're coming from. The money is insane! I can't keep up with these dolls forever so I'm hoping this is the last year of the Jem and the Holograms line with Integrity Toys. I think with Hasbro rebooting the brand in 2015, they'll likely take the license back for themselves. I can't see them sharing the license and potential profits with IT during the Jem revival. I so hope that's the case! I need a break!!!

I think the limited-time license is why they have been pumping the dolls out-  but for sure the expense has been insane.  And it is SOOOO hard (impossible) not to get every one, especially when the secondary market prices can get so crazy (at least for Classic, Hollywood and now Astral- and to some extent Rio).

Recently, as I was un-packaging and raving about how awesome Raya was- my wife (who has no interest in ponies/dolls or collecting of any kind) asked me casually "how much do these things cost?"  I made the stupid stupid mistake of answering $100.  I thought she was going to have a heart attack...   I tried to explain how they appreciate in value- but she wasn't having it.  Thank god she doesn't know how much my resin dolls cost.

jemboi

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2014, 10:49:07 AM »
I try not to think about the cost. I love the dolls so much but that part is depressing if I let myself linger on it, especially since I'm never going to sell them. If I was in this to sell... I'd be making tons of $$$!

Offline barbgirl1999

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/barbgirl1999
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 09:25:57 AM »
WOW, that's a great setup!  I'm super-jealous of your IT dolls, lol.  I wasn't able to get any of them myself, but I love looking at pics of them.  I have about a dozen vintage dolls from the JEM line, and I'd love to get the rest of them eventually...It was one of my fave shows and toy lines when I was younger. 

Congrats on being able to keep up with the releases, that's quite a feat!  I'm pretty excited about the prospect of new playline dolls...hopefully they don't let us down!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

~Rodan+Fields~

jemboi

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 11:10:48 PM »
I'm hanging in there but I hope there's an end game in sight. My wallet is begging for mercy! :-\

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2014, 10:39:30 AM »
I would suggest just getting the dolls you absolutely love- and ignore the rest.  The edition sizes are large, so if you decide to get them years from now you can probably pick them up from the crazy collectors that couldn't  help but buy 2 and 3 sets of each... (and yes there are quite a few of those)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 11:00:18 AM »
I don't see them ending the IT license just because they are rebooting Jem for several reasons. First the Jem dolls IT has been doing are based on the vintage designs while any Jem reboot will be based on a new version. Also the funko vinyls exist at the same time as the regular ponies and Hasbro actually gave funko the license after they been making the regular ponies a while.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline vortex1310

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 02:53:16 PM »
Oooo, just ran across this thread! Fantastic collection and display!  :inlove:

These dolls are amazing looking, but I am in the camp of never being able to afford them. That's why pic sharing is so awesome!  :thumb:

Thanky for sharing, I had no idea they released that many so far!  :heart:

jemboi

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »
I would suggest just getting the dolls you absolutely love- and ignore the rest.  The edition sizes are large, so if you decide to get them years from now you can probably pick them up from the crazy collectors that couldn't  help but buy 2 and 3 sets of each... (and yes there are quite a few of those)

I'm a completionist so I'll get every single one no matter what it takes. Call me silly, but that's how I roll when it comes to Jem. These dolls won't be around for long and so I'm not taking any chances. There aren't millions or even thousands. I'm getting them while I can while they're still at retail. An IT Classic Jem sold for $2,500!!!:-\

jemboi

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 10:05:29 PM »
I don't see them ending the IT license just because they are rebooting Jem for several reasons. First the Jem dolls IT has been doing are based on the vintage designs while any Jem reboot will be based on a new version. Also the funko vinyls exist at the same time as the regular ponies and Hasbro actually gave funko the license after they been making the regular ponies a while.

There isn't a limitless amount of things Integrity can do with Jem. As is, they've nearly tapped the well dry. I mean, there's only so much you can do with a show that isn't pumping out new material to creatively feed from and let's not forget the license doesn't come cheap. They're down to the nitty gritty as far as characters go. Plus, the success of this line falls squarely on the backs of devoted Jem fans. If the doll releases become more obscure and we stop buying, there goes the lines success. The majority of Integrity's customer base doesn't care for the Jem line with their colorful hair and wild makeup. Two years seems fitting as that was how long the vintage lasted. I'll be very surprised if Hasbro shares the license during the reboot but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Never say never.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:28:21 AM by jemboi »

Offline Phynix

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I am the Gypsy Tigress
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phynixcaskey.org
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 09:47:28 AM »
I am so increadibly envious of your collection. I was looking at it and I wanted to just beat you and take all your dolls. I always loved Jem and her team, and am so happy about the new line of toys but as I am broke with weddings and everything else I collect I had to decide not to collect the new line. (I am working on the original dolls right now)

I wanted them all as a little girl too, so now it is time to think about collecting them all. Please keep shareing. They are amazing dolls.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »

There was some sort of mention in that Jem movie that there was going to be a set of 8 dolls-  that makes me think they are working on a playline of some sort.  So that wouldn't be Integrity.

I'm actually hoping that Integrity keeps the license a bit longer, since once I have all the critical dolls (which I think will come out next month)  I'd love it if they made a couple new dolls/fashions a year, for a few years....   but I have a feeling the license is expensive, so that might not happen.   Still, the Jem dolls I THINK have been profitable, so one can only hope.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal