collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Mlp tales  (Read 3686 times)

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Mlp tales
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2014, 05:56:25 PM »
I love Tales. :heart: Right now I'm hunting for the toys.

I don't think the "style" is all that different from the original G1 cartoons and specials, so I never understood that argument. It was the story and setting that changed, as others said. It reminds me much more of Friendship is Magic in that the ponies are standing in for what would otherwise be human characters; anthropomorphized I guess is the right word to use here. And like FiM, it was centered on the same group of characters.

It doesn't take much research to figure out that Tales is G1 inspired, launched a G1 set, and is tied to other G1 media. Those who insist it's G2 just don't care enough about pre-gen MLP to do their research as far as I'm concerned.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline Magdalen

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »
It doesn't take much research to figure out that Tales is G1 inspired, launched a G1 set, and is tied to other G1 media. Those who insist it's G2 just don't care enough about pre-gen MLP to do their research as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah I agree with this.  It's the G4 is the best people I see on YouTube alllll the time.  Seriously, these ponies have been around for 30 years or so.  I've been a pony fan nearly that long.  Tales is g1 and that's it.  Without g1 there would be no ponies so no g4.  Honestly I still don't get the hype of g4.  Sure the show is cute, I still haven't been able to get into it and the toys leave a lot to be desired.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2014, 07:38:13 PM »
Tales is definitely G1.

I think the "take the magic out" comment was more in regards to the general theme; the serialized multi-part story episodes, movies like Rescue at Midnight Castle or MLP The Movie were definitely "high fantasy" in flavour, while Tales is more a "slice of life" type of world.  Both are equally valid, and both can be magical, but Tales inarguably had less "real" magic in it - teleportation, spells, monsters, dragons, etc.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline AntiFerret

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2014, 08:12:59 PM »

Okay I know this has nothing to do with this debate about My Little Pony Tales... but ... o.o I have never seen this before. I have the G1 DVD compilation that has similar cover art, but I can't find anything about a compilation of Tales... I thought that it was only Australia release (last I checked..) Can someone clue me in on this? Is there a North American release of Tales or am I dreaming?

Back on the subject of Tales being in a specific generation though, I always thought that it was G1 (before I really knew what Generations were, honestly) because it was released closer to the original cartoons. Then ponies disappeared for a while and when they came back they looked nothing like how the original or Tales looked, so I always just figured that Tales was part of the "original" ponies, and that the "new ponies" (aka the G2s at the time) were just new ponies. I hated them XD but learned to like them.. or particularly the five that I bought back then.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »
Yes, the Tales series is G1.

Yes, the Region 4 Tales dvd's show the ponies in G2 form, and they use g2 art in the menus, but the art in the actual series is very different. Anyone who actually saw the series should know that.

However - I don't think that's why this new 'idea' has arisen. It's because in G4, the TV show has taken focus, rather than the toyline - and therefore new fans believe that the TV show has a correlating toyline, and not the other way around, which is the truth. So in order for there to be a G2 toyline, surely there must be a show? Ah.. No. The toyline is the focus of the franchise that was created by a TOY COMPANY. Yes, they do have the Hub now and all that, but that was simply a device to ensure that their toys get top advertising - shows about their toylines, with ads for their toys inbetween, it's brilliant really.

Tales was simply a reboot of MLP, when the first incarnation was dropped - a different take to get it back on TV. That's not saying it's not as good, or that the first series was not good either - so no-one go taking offense, they're just different approaches to the same ponies, to keep them in the forefront of little girl's minds. I personally LOVE the G1 cartoons in both forms, anyone who has seen my hoard of pony DVD's and VHS know's this - heck I even still have a VHS converter in case I ever get my hands on the full VHS versions of the specials.

But that's my take on this question, and why the incorrect assumption does come up so often.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2014, 09:19:18 AM »
The way I like to look at it is this, toywise yes it's all G1, Yes both shows series are G1.

The fact though is it is completely different than MLP and friends, the movie, and the specials. Tales does not have unicorn, pegasus, sea ponies, villians, Meghan and her siblings, flutter ponies, creatures like g1, etc. It's basically human like ponies living a real like human life. Don't get me wrong I loved it and watched it as a kid too, but I cannot say they are the same show wise, it's easy for me to just call it G1.5 and I wish others would do the same as well, because a lot of new fans will see an episode of Tales and think all of G1 is like that which could not be more wrong. MLP and Friends is to Tales as Friendship is Magic is to Equestria Girls.

No, no, no, no.

Want to elaborate on that? Well new fans call it G2, so I think G1.5 sounds more accurate.

I agree with Loa...but more like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooNOoooooNOooo.

I've been into MLP for 30 years, why am I gonna believe what people who have only been in it for 4 years say? Do the people saying it's G2 know anything about G1/G2 really or are they just forming they're knowledge off looking at youtube clips?

People call it G2 because they don't know MLP history, are not aware of both the toy production and the animation productions. Let me put this frankly, some people are completely ignoring on the dates/history and the reality of MLP and are forming they're knowledge off something many of them admittedly hate and know next to nothing about.

I've been into MLP for 30 years, I don't care what 'some' fans are calling Tales...It's G1.
I think you should have another read through Aquatic Neon's post.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2014, 10:47:47 AM »
I really need to sit down and watch all the G1 cartoons. I haven't seen many.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »
The way I like to look at it is this, toywise yes it's all G1, Yes both shows series are G1.

The fact though is it is completely different than MLP and friends, the movie, and the specials. Tales does not have unicorn, pegasus, sea ponies, villians, Meghan and her siblings, flutter ponies, creatures like g1, etc. It's basically human like ponies living a real like human life. Don't get me wrong I loved it and watched it as a kid too, but I cannot say they are the same show wise, it's easy for me to just call it G1.5 and I wish others would do the same as well, because a lot of new fans will see an episode of Tales and think all of G1 is like that which could not be more wrong. MLP and Friends is to Tales as Friendship is Magic is to Equestria Girls.

No, no, no, no.

Want to elaborate on that? Well new fans call it G2, so I think G1.5 sounds more accurate.

I agree with Loa...but more like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooNOoooooNOooo.

I've been into MLP for 30 years, why am I gonna believe what people who have only been in it for 4 years say? Do the people saying it's G2 know anything about G1/G2 really or are they just forming they're knowledge off looking at youtube clips?

People call it G2 because they don't know MLP history, are not aware of both the toy production and the animation productions. Let me put this frankly, some people are completely ignoring on the dates/history and the reality of MLP and are forming they're knowledge off something many of them admittedly hate and know next to nothing about.

I've been into MLP for 30 years, I don't care what 'some' fans are calling Tales...It's G1.
I think you should have another read through Aquatic Neon's post.

If you are going to direct a post at me personally with nothing relevant to the discussion other than telling me to reread someone's posts, how about next time PM me and save everyone else the trouble.

And by the way it's MEGAN...not Meghan.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:51:20 PM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2014, 01:15:28 PM »
Pony generations are defined by the toys.  Any shows attached to the line are basically half hour commercials for the toys, and whatever goes on in the show is there to promote the toy line.  The show is written to sell the toys, and always has been.  It's only in the most recent generation that the show has a fan base that is independent of the main toy line, but the show's still there to sell the toys.  A lot of the new show third party merchandise(We Love Fine, Funko, etc) is drawing from the show to get ideas due to the popularity.  However, Hasbro toys are the driving force behind what's going on with the show, and Hasbro is producing the show.  They didn't "Rainbowfy" the toys to match the show, they wrote the show to introduce the latest line of "Rainbowfied" ponies.  It's no coincidence that the opening credits change when the toy line changes. 

These shows are commercials, and they will continue to exist as long as they sell toys.  If they stop selling toys, they get cancelled.  It doesn't matter how good they are on their own, they were created to promote and sell a specific toy line.  That's what happened with the reboot of Thundercats.  It was a really good show, but a good show that didn't translate into toy sales.  So it got cancelled.   The same thing happened to the He Man reboot.  Not toy sales, no show anymore.

So Tales is G1, not G2.  The show was created to promote the sale of G1 pony toys, and is at its core a commercial.  I like the show.  But it's still a commercial despite the fact that it was advertising items that nobody in the USA could get their hands on.  That's probably why it was shown mainly on the Disney channel, and not as a network afternoon cartoon over here.  Anyway, Tales came out and ended years before G2 was even an idea.  I don't even know why this is an issue.  The people who are insisting that it's G2 probably don't even like the show to begin with.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:28:14 PM by goddessofpeep »

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2014, 01:25:58 PM »
I don't know if I have my years exactly right but here goes:

MY Little Pony franchise consists of:

1981 - Hasbro first production of a MLP, large pony called My Pretty Pony

1982 thru 1995 Hasbro G1 toy production.

1984 - the first TV special was created - aka "Rescue at Midnight Castle"/"Firefly's Adventure"

1985 - second TV special was created - Escape from Catrina

1986 - My Little Pony the Movie

1986-1987 - My Little Pony TV series

1992 - My little Pony Tales TV series

G1 production continued from 1982 thru 1995 - Tales was created in 1992, still during and within the Generation 1 timeline, toy exactly the same and animation is pretty much the same.

Generation 2 MLP didn't have a cartoon, it's production started in 1997 and was a clear defined difference from what was produced previously. The art style and toys were completely different.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2014, 01:37:53 PM »
What's really sick is the people behind the Brony Documentary made the mistake of saying Tales was G2.

And this is the reason Tales is in question at all. That one documentary, and some misinformed bronies, called it G2, so now many of the newer fans accept this as truth. It irks me to no end. Tales is G1, has been and always will be. End of story.

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2014, 08:59:51 PM »
MLP tales gives me the same feeling of the 3rd season of the original Transformers cartoon, in the way that is different from what we see earlier but is still the same generation  :nerdy:

I know TF season 3 is in the same show as the previous two seasons, but 3 is almost in a dark post-apocaliptycal  tone and very futuristic, has less roles played by humans, ... if you compare it to season 1 and 2 those are more kid friendly in plots.... if almost like   season 3 is a different show or gen  :accomplished:

So I'm not saying that MLPtales is dark but my point is that a series can take a different path  and can still be in the same universe  ;)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:05:38 PM by Sapphire-Light »

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2014, 10:03:28 AM »
What's really sick is the people behind the Brony Documentary made the mistake of saying Tales was G2.

And this is the reason Tales is in question at all. That one documentary, and some misinformed bronies, called it G2, so now many of the newer fans accept this as truth. It irks me to no end. Tales is G1, has been and always will be. End of story.
No offfence, but it's not the documentary that caused so many newcomers to think Tales was G2 - we (I say we, because I got it wrong as well) were getting it wrong long before that documentary appeared, it's simply not knowing that the generations are based on toys, and assuming that since the show was different (new story, new setting) that it must be the next generation.  The documentary made it worst as it was supposed to be "proffesional", and therefore a lot of things said would be taken as gospel fact, but it didn't start the mistake, just made it.

Also, while it's mostly newcomers getting it wrong, there's nothing stopping "oldcomers" thinking Tales is G2 as well; I don't know if this has ever happened, and I don't know when we started refering to them by generations, but consider a ponyfan who watched the show from the begining, but never played with the toys for some reason (or at least not enough of them to be kept in "the loop" of the toyline) - this fan could very easily look back on MLP once he or she learns that each My Little Pony generation was numbered and assume Tales was G2 because his/her knowledge was limited to the TV show.  The only thing that could poetentially save this fan from the mistake is if he/she played the G2 video game.

Hope no one minded me saying that.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2014, 11:38:52 AM »
I don't know if this has ever happened, and I don't know when we started refering to them by generations

I believe they started to be referred to as 'G1', 'G2' etc around the time G2s were released? I'm not certain, though.

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2014, 12:04:04 PM »
I don't know if this has ever happened, and I don't know when we started refering to them by generations

Generation 2 started to be used when generation 2 toys were produced, not before that. I've been online since 1996/7, nobody ever called tales G2 or G anything. There was no confusion in the collecting community about MLP back then.

When the Gen. 2 toys came out, at that time, some people did not know the difference in Morning Glory and Morning Glory or Sundance and Sundance. I know that sounds silly but G2 used some of the same names as G1.

It became easier when discussing, trading or selling to say, this is G2 Sundance, or Cupcake...to cut on the misunderstandings in exactly what pony it was.

It's that simple, the main reason being, it was about the toys and cutting out confusion with which Morning Glory, or Sundance or Seabreeze or Cupcake or wingsong was being brought up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal