collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: To Pony Room, or Not to Pony Room?  (Read 486 times)

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
To Pony Room, or Not to Pony Room?
« on: March 29, 2014, 05:23:09 PM »
My husband and I are trying to move back home, from Virginia to Michigan.  I currently have what I think is a pretty nice pony room.  Once we move, we'll be staying in my in-laws basement, one bedroom apartment, until I find another job and/or we're ready to buy another house.  Once our current house sells, I'm hoping that without a mortgage I can take my time finding a job I like.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind if I could just take some time off for awhile.  (I really like my current job and it's been a tough decision to move, I don't want to jump into any old thing.)

I've been kind of worried about what I'll do with my time with no house or yard to take care of, job, or pony room to tinker in.  I might make dinner for my husband's family most nights or something, but there's not much to help them with.

My husband said that if I want we can buy a futon and sleep in the living room while I turn the bedroom into a new pony room.

Would that be an awful thing to do?  It seems like a silly waste of space in a small apartment, but I'm pretty tempted . . .
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
Re: To Pony Room, or Not to Pony Room?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 05:57:25 PM »
As much as I love ponies if I was put into your situation I would take sleeping in my bed over a futon. This gives you some time to pick out those special few ponies to put on display during the transition... :o)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 06:03:47 PM »
i for one would say go withe futon i used to sleep on one and loved it.  i turend my small room into a pony room. or you could turne you rbedroominto a pony room.    just put a  small bed in there or just amatress and put all the hselvign all arounf the room floor to ceiling.

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 06:14:11 PM »
That's a tough choice, alright. I think I'd lean toward having a bedroom, though, and displaying a few ponies. That way you get the best of both worlds - more living space for the two of you and still enjoying some ponies. And it's not forever, you'll hopefully be back in your own place before you know it.

Elf

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 08:30:11 PM »
That's so sweet of your husband to suggest that! I think having a bedroom would be better, though. Maybe, like others have said, you could display some Ponies in there. Maybe you could even display a few in your living room. ;)

Offline Katgyrl

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Just a pony and her sewing machine...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 09:21:37 PM »
I also think that is so the sweetest thing for your hubby to offer up the bedroom for your pony room! I agree though that I think you guys will want a bedroom. Maybe you can still have a pony wall somewhere down there, and a little table or something to tinker on.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 09:27:44 PM »
I'd definitely go No Ponyroom route.

I'd be massively tempted too, but a bedroom is kind of a great place.. there's privacy, and a defined sleeping area - I know I have trouble sleeping when the TV is on, and that's basically whenever my hubby is in the same room as one! I'd maybe have one shelf or cabinet, and just display some ponies, your hubby is obviously cool with having them around. Also I'd feel bad about me having a room all about myself, too.. and having to sleep on what's essentially a couch may effect his feelings towards the ponies, too.. you don't want that great considerate and supportive husband you have there to get bitter about them!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 09:53:23 PM »
I agree with what everyone else is saying, and not just because I dont really collect ponys anymore, but because I come from the other perspective. While I dont own my home. I live with my mom since she cant live on her own, but I do all the chores around the house, I remodel when necessary, i get things fixed when they need to be fixed, I buy all the grocery's and prepare all meals,  so in a way i dont have a problem looking at it as "my home" lol.

that being said... When my son was a baby, and still sleeping in my same room, our entire basement was open, so I let my sister move in when times were not great for her. She brought with her, her own baby and boyfriend which was what I had expected so it was fine. What I did not expect was for her to turn the basement (her intended living area) into a dog house, and live in my living room which is not a big room. I'm not saying that you would ever do anything that... extreme, I'm just saying that it would probably just be easier, and more respectful to sleep in a bedroom rather then claim the living area.

of course i understand that not all family's function the same way. admitably my family, especially my sister and I can tend to be rather loud lol. and I mean no disrespect for you or your family. I just thought I would throw this personal experience out there. :)
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Aednatia

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 02:31:42 AM »
Depending how big the living room is you could get a wardrobe and a room divider and create a pony space not visible first thing to guest. Depending how big the bedroom is you could put the space in there, but I wouldn't give up the bedroom either. Maybe the closest.

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 03:39:21 AM »
I say keep it a bedroom, too. It's awfully sweet and considerate of your husband to suggest that but I think it will be much easier for the both of you if you had your own bedroom.

Perhaps you could find a craft to do to occupy your time with? Something that's small and easy to store.

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 04:50:52 AM »
I agree with the no pony room angle. It is such a lovely offer of your husband but in general I would prefer to sleep in a bed and just have a handful of ponies out on display than set up a whole room I would have to dismantle sooner rather than later and live in just the one room.

Good luck with the move :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 01:23:51 PM »
As much as a pony room is tempting.... I'm with the majority! That was a lovely offer from your hubby, but I think you guys having a quiet, personal space of your own away from the main living area is more important, particularly when the floor plan of your entire living space is quite small. All going well this will only be a temporary situation and if and when you get another house, you can go nuts with a fantastic pony room then!  :)

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 01:30:46 PM »
Lol, I think I've confused everyone.  We'll have the entire apartment to ourselves.  It has a small dining space, kitchen, bathroom, living room, bedroom, and utility closet.  His parents and sister live upstairs.  No, I would not cherish the thought of living in the middle of my in-laws living room!   :lmao:

My brother and sister in law created and had a baby living there while he was in vet school, so privacy isn't a problem.  ;)

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 07:44:08 PM »
Yep ,no pony room until you get your own place , maybe just a small pony wall :) and rotate weekly or monthly :)
it would be nice I think.
Hope the move goes well :)
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 08:23:51 PM »
That is very sweat of your husband to think of your pony collection that way. If I were you I would use the room at a bedroom and put out a few ponies at a time. Your sleep and his sleep is very important. I wish you both luck and hope all things turn out good for you :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal