collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Saving up for a BJD, but have a few questions  (Read 693 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
Saving up for a BJD, but have a few questions
« on: March 21, 2014, 05:17:54 PM »
Hi again! Resident BJD newbie here.

I finally figured out what BJD I want, and am currently saving up to get her.  I'm over half way there and hope to have all the money by May, but I have a few more questions for you guys.

The girl I'm buying will be a LUTS Kid Delf Girl ANI

When it comes to the doll itself I'm rather curious as to the difference between the Normal Body type and Romantic. Also curious as to whether it's better have arcylic or glass eyes?

Everything else has to do with custom related things.

Is the KD the same as MSD? When I look on Etsy for custom outfits hardly anything pops up under KD so I'm wondering if KD falls under another category? I'm trying to plan out the outfit for her early. I know the sweater I want the person who sells it says can be made into a KD size for a different price, so I feel that KD is it's own category.

I've also been debating who to get a face-up from and have picked it out I believe. I know I should get a facemask but I'm not sure where to purchase one for her. At the best price possible too please.

And lastly I'll also be getting eyelashes for her and not sure the color. The wig I plan to buy is a blonde one that fades to pink, and I'm just curious as what eyelash color would suit her best.

Thanks for any and all help you guys. And if there's anything else I should know about first-time BJD buying please let me know! xx :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline Emberly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Saving up for a BJD, but have a few questions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 05:43:50 PM »
Normal body is more childish, Romantic body is more mature i.e. boobs.

IMO, your best bet is always glass. They reflect better. I use only urethane eyes in my dolls, but they start at $25 and go up to $90 a pair.

MSD and KD are pretty similar, but I believe KD are a bit thinner than most MSD. As long as you're not buying something that needs a skin-tight fit, you should be fine.

As for face masks, if you're buying from LUTS, just add a face mask to your order. They sell them for $1 and the most expensive part of any mask will be shipping. And eyelashes- Well, like a person's eyelashes, they're usually brown or black. What kind of faceup do you want?  Girly, bold, dramatic would look good with black, tomboyish, sweet, young, etc will work with brown, or black too.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 05:46:22 PM by Emberly »

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 05:57:36 PM »
The Romantic Body and the new Type 2 body are virtually identical in measurements and very closely match the Volks MSD body, which is pretty much the standard for MSD sized clothes, so yes, that's what you want. The 'normal' kid delf body is less mature particularly in the bust. So items that are designed to be fitted on a more mature style doll will be loose.

I personally prefer glass eyes, but it's all personal preference.

If you're ordering your doll straight from Luts I'd go ahead and order a facemask from them - they're only $1 :)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 06:02:53 PM »
Normal body is more childish, Romantic body is more mature i.e. boobs.

And eyelashes- Well, like a person's eyelashes, they're usually brown or black. What kind of faceup do you want?  Girly, bold, dramatic would look good with black, tomboyish, sweet, young, etc will work with brown, or black too.

Oh good! I'll have to get a Romantic one then, thank you! I am going for a sort of tomboyish look with her face-up and I was leaning towards brown already but wanted a second opinion.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 07:27:45 PM »
I know I want to save up for one and just have no idea where to start. I know what I'd like, ideally, but unsure where to get it or even how, if they make them. I guess more stalking is in order v,v

Offline Buzzingbumblebee

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Blythe plastic surgeon =^-^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 10:07:50 AM »
That sounds fab Bekuno, I hope you will share pics when you get her. Do you not get a facemask when you order without a faceup then?

@kissthethunder: If you have seen a pic of a doll and need to know what doll it is, just make a new thread and ask for help identifying it ^-^.

Blythe customising blog, commissions open: http://beesdreamland.com/

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
That sounds fab Bekuno, I hope you will share pics when you get her. Do you not get a facemask when you order without a faceup then?

It turns out they had facemasks on the LUTS site under Tools but I had never found them, whoops!
So even without a face-up I can order one. Thanks guys!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 06:07:19 PM »
Fabric Friends and Dolls will do layaway if you want to go that route.  I think it will save you in shipping but as she does bulk orders, it will take more time for you to get your doll.  Even if its not in stock on her site, you can just contact her to see what she says.
http://fabricfriendsdolls.com/

My dolls from LUTS had company face-ups and they came with a mask.  I don't know if they come with a mask without a face-up.  You can always ask.

I can't wait to see your new doll!
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Phynix

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I am the Gypsy Tigress
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phynixcaskey.org
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
 arcylic or glass eyes?
-Depends on what you want in colour and if your taking photos. Glass look more real as they seem wet in photos, Acrylic can scratch and might look dull. I re gloss all my acrylic and many don't know the difference.

Is the KD the same as MSD?
For the most part. A few things may not fit, it is always best to look at the measurements from the site your getting her from and compare them to the site your buying clothes from. Skirts, and shirts should fit, pants are the tricky one.

Face masks: Not always needed but great if you plan to travel with her. Many companies will have the face masks for $1.00 each or $2.00 when you buy them, you can also ask the company to include one if they are not for sale on the site. Many will. If you can't find a place to get them cheap, I have extra's and willing to sell one to you.

Face ups: I offer faceups but don't have much here to show right now. I will be getting more up as I have a chance to get the photos cleaned up and edited. So if your looking for a pony person to do it, please feel free to pm me I will send you the raw photos. If you want an amazing and well priced face up artist I always suggest Mica Everywhere. She did 3 of my dolls for me when I first started, and two of my girl friends and they are amazing. http://call-me-gorgeous.com/

Eveylashes, I would suggest getting ones close to the colour of the main part of the wig. Ie if your Dark get dark colours, if they are light wigs get light colours. A lot of faceup artist sell eye lashes with there face up.

Does this help? I have been collecting now for almost 10 years, researching for over that and own over 20 dolls at this point. So please ask I am willing to help where I can.

AnnetheCatDetective

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 02:36:29 PM »
Congratulations! Luts has such cute dolls... My first doll was a KDF and I couldn't have been happier (and lucky for me I fell in love with the eyes they sent... For my other dolls, I bought acrylics. The price was right, and the irises are more realistic even though they don't have the same look as glass...)

I don't know about the new romantic body... the old regular body does very well with MSD clothes-- measurements are off a little from company to company, but you can always write down your girl's measurements and then compare them to the measurements of other companies/the dolls that other shops are sewing for.

As for eyelashes, black always looks fine... sometimes on a blonde doll, black lashes will feel more made-up, so if you want a more natural 'make up free' faceup, you might want brown or blonde lashes (I've got blonde lashes... they tend to be kind of invisible though). Or you could go wild and look for pink lashes, I know there are some companies that make them.

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »
Thanks for the extra info guys :)

I'm still saving up for her but I'm almost there. If all is well I should have enough money by June. (I don't have a job but get a monthly allowance and also my birthday is this month and that will help xD This is why it has taken me so long to get her.)

I didn't want to get blonde lashes for her, they're just too light for me ^^; I'll be going with brown.
I've already planned out an outfit for her thanks to the info I've been given I can safely say all the clothes I picked out should fit.

Phynix I'll probably PM you shortly because I'm really curious to see your work :) My face-up artist isn't final yet, as I need one that I won't have to pay too-too much for. I don't have any crazy ideas for her face either (Well except on thing but I think it can be handled..)

Offline Phynix

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I am the Gypsy Tigress
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phynixcaskey.org
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 07:16:10 PM »
I just finished painting a tan doll and body blushing her with an Egyptian theme. So a new project would be nice. I am also going to be painting my new doll soon as I have her in my hanfs. My prices are fair as I am still trying to get many more pieces for my portfolio. I use high quality, strong pigmented acrylic paints, chalk pastels (bought from soom) and UV cut MSC for my sealant.

I am also willing to do work for trade as my daughter is collecting a lot of MLP things right now. So if you want to work on trade we can arrange something.

Any ways good luck with your birthday and getting the last bit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal