collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Selling things with PayPal non pony related  (Read 399 times)

Offline dippindot

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Selling things with PayPal non pony related
« on: March 20, 2014, 07:15:39 PM »
My sister and her husband are starting a new Facebook shop selling handmade rustic crafts, and they want to set up PayPal so they can accept payments from people using credit cards and such.

I'm trying to help them get things set up since neither of them is very web savvy, but I only use my PayPal for buying so my knowledge is limited on the selling side of things.  Can anyone help me understand this better?

How do they set up their account so that they can have a payment page for people to use?  Do they need a business account instead of a regular PayPal account?  What fees will they need to worry about?

One thing I know is that they don't have a bank account.  They set up their PayPal account using a pay card from work.  I think this means that they can't verify their account.  Will this affect whether they can take payments from people not using paypal?

Thanks for any information you guys can give me.   :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

CloudBurst Reference

Signature is rotating, PM for artist info! : )

Offline emery

• Dr. Quinn, Medicine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+488)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • emery's emporium - My Little Ponies & other toys for sale
Re: Selling things with PayPal non pony related
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:46:00 AM »
If they want to be a verified seller they will need to link it to a bank account as far as I'm aware. Until they're verified there will be a limit on their account so if they sell a lot or sell some thing expensive they may not be able to accept payment for it if it's above a certain amount. If they are going to run a business it might be a good idea to set up a bank or checking account. I know lots of places offer free checking with no minimum balance.

As far as having a "payment page" unless they are going to set up a shopping cart using Paypal buttons then basically they will just have to do invoices through Paypal. This is where you go to the Request Money tab and enter the buyer's e-mail address, the information about the sale and then send the buyer the invoice to be paid and it's processed through Paypal.

If they are wanting to accept payments in person,, Paypal has a little card reader thing that can hook onto smartphones and people just swipe their card through.
My Little Ponies and other toys for sale on....
Facebook @EmerysVintageEmporium
Instagram @emerys_emporium

Offline dippindot

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 08:03:59 PM »
Thanks emery :)

It would probably be a lot easier if they'd go ahead and set up a bank account but they're a bit odd about stuff like that.  If they can't get it to work unverified, my guess is they'd ask people to send them checks or money orders.

If you do the invoice with "Request Money" tab, do you know if the person you are invoicing can pay with a credit card?

CloudBurst Reference

Offline emery

• Dr. Quinn, Medicine Pony
  • Trade Count: (+488)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • emery's emporium - My Little Ponies & other toys for sale
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 09:32:46 PM »
Yep, if you send a money request or invoice (invoice is just a more detailed version) you can send it to any e-mail address even if the person does not have Paypal themselves. If they have Paypal they can pay with their balance or a card, if they don't have Paypal they just pay with a card and they don't have to worry about creating an account or anything.
My Little Ponies and other toys for sale on....
Facebook @EmerysVintageEmporium
Instagram @emerys_emporium

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 04:34:21 PM »
Thanks emery!

I wish the best of luck to your sister and her hubby with their sales
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

lisey_baby

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 08:16:33 AM »
Just another point to add about PP, I have a business account, but it's also unlimited, it means there are no restrictions on how much money can go through it in the year. We recently had issues with my hubby's personal paypal as we had to transfer out of it, that took him over his yearly limit. If they think a lot of money is going to go through then a business account is the way forward. Also IMO a business PayPal account looks more professional too. Tell them good luck with their business :)

Offline dippindot

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 08:47:59 PM »
 Thanks again emery!  That's just what I needed :D

Thank you ponylady, and lisey_baby :hug: 

CloudBurst Reference

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal