collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who here is into Anime!  (Read 951 times)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Who here is into Anime!
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
Most certainly.

I don't really have a collection, but I do like my fair share of things :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 09:51:22 AM »
It's probably worth adding that I do not think that one ever becomes "too old" for anime. :) When I say that I've "grown out of it," it's more a reflection of how its importance to me has changed.

Offline Mareacooda

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 11:15:19 AM »
How did you find out about anime/manga and why do you like them?
A friend introduced me to it and I hook! I always enjoy watch Animation before hand due love Artwork in motion. I found anime has best artwork and storylines than Disney or Dreamwork!
On manga books it was watching Fruitbasket that I want to more on story that start reading Manga versions!

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 11:23:14 AM »
FullMetal Alchemist I saw for the first time when I was a little kid and watching Adult Swim late one night at a friends house because I couldn't sleep. It was one of the scenes with the black hands and the door of truth. It showed Edward getting his arm ripped off and it scared the hell out of me. (Also note this is of course the original anime, not Brotherhood)

I found the scene years later while on youtube, after discovering AMV's.

Manga I discovered while looking up things on FMA. Our local bookstore at the mall sold them, and when they went out of business that had a huge sale and I got the first 12 or so volumes. I went to the new bookstore every time I saw a new volume out, and now I have all the books and one art book.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline elvenwine26

• Super Secret Squirrel
  • Trade Count: (+143)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 11:31:40 AM »
Mareacooda, Cartoon Network was my gateway drug. Lol I like reading manga, because the stories are more slower paced than american comics(to me) and I like the variety of story types to choose from.  I'm also a sucker for stories told to me in a visual format.  I do find dubs to be a little obnoxious because they seem to lack the proper inflection and tones I think the stories need. 

Bergamot, I do think you can grow out of certain types though.  Like I long ago grew out of a lot of the character and theme tropes used in school life shoujo mangas/anime and these days look for something that's original and interesting without being vapid or overdone.  I'll still read one every now and then to see what's out there since I never know when I'll find something good.
I generally prefer ones that involve adults or more mature themes and not a bunch of school age kids and their associated dramas.  It's harder to connect to the school life bit the older I get even if I'm still in my twenties for two more years. Lol.

What is your genre preference and what do you like best about it?
"How much for the horse tornado?"
"Sir, that's a carousel."
"I must have it!"

tinyblondie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 11:44:26 AM »
My first was Card Captor Sakura, which then led to years of me watching primarily Magical Girl animes such Sailor Moon, Tokyo Mew Mew and more recently Puella Magi Madoka Magica. My love for Card Captor Sakura drew me to watch Tsubasa Chronicle and then I expanded into other anime genres. I also love Inuyasha, Black Butler, Chobits, Number 6 and of course many of Studio Ghibli's wonderful works. My favorite Anime Character is probrebly Sailor Venus.

I'm very into manga too, especially Magical Girl or works by Junji Ito, he is truly the master of horror.

I've watched alot more that I listed but I cant remember them all of the top of my head. One's I really didn't like were Bleach and Attack on Titan. I've also watched some of the Supernatural anime but I found it didn't transcend well from the show.

If anyone can recommend some really good horror Anime or Manga that would be wonderful!

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 12:30:05 PM »
If anyone can recommend some really good horror Anime or Manga that would be wonderful!

Higurashi, Jack Frost, HighSchool of the Dead, Doubt, Judge, and Battle Royale come to mind.
But those are just ones I know.
Higurashi is my favorite of the group.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Tenar

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 01:19:16 PM »

Higurashi, Jack Frost, HighSchool of the Dead, Doubt, Judge, and Battle Royale come to mind.

Don't forget Berserk

tinyblondie

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 02:38:02 PM »

Don't forget Berserk

Thank you both  ^.^
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:53:11 PM by tinyblondie »

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 03:02:53 PM »
ah yes, I was a super super super big anime fan back in the day. I remember being in elementary school waking up early to watch/record mighty morphin power rangers. After power rangers came littlest pet shop and then sailor moon would come on. The way the bus normally ran is that I only ever got to watch half an episode of sailor moon. I remember missing the bus a couple times to try to finish the episode. Mind you this was looooong before cartoon network had adult swim or even toonami. It was on a completely different channel. I remember growing up and looking into anime and finding it super cool and amazing. I tried buying it but NOWHERE use to carry anime or manga. I remember going into borders, books a million, and Barnes and Nobel and asking "do  you have manga?" and they would reply "what is manga?" after trying to explain it as 'Japanese comics' and explaining no, a comic about the Japanese or samurai is NOT the same.... I would dig through the kids section and sometimes find a manga or two.
The first anime purchase I ever made was when I discovered a comic shop that had what I thought at the time was a lot!)or anime stuff. I bought the sailor moon S movie in Japanese with subtitles on VSH. It was magical. :3

When toonami started up it aired sailor moon, card captors, tenchi muyo ect but they were horribly dubbed and edited. Several years after that adult swim was created and they started showing slightly better (but still badly) dubbed animes. By that time anime had caught on and book stores started carrying manga regularly, anime started showing up in stores, it was all so weird for me!

As anime got more and more popular the dubbing got better and better. Inu Yasha, Outlaw star, Cowboy Beebop, Trigun, witch Hunter Robin, they were getting better. By the time Full Metal Alchemist and Wolfs Rain came to america the dubbing was pretty good. But shortly after that it really really blew up and anime was everywhere and alot of ones I did not care for were getting popular, Naruto, Once Piece, Bleach, ect so I lost interest in the fandom.

I got sucked up into real life, work and bills and such and although I like anime alot I am not a huge otaku like I use to be. Don't get me wrong I love anime, alot but I am not a fan of fandom groups.

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 03:24:39 PM »
Funny, i've been watching Ghibli films all weekend while i've been sick! I adore Princess Mononoke and the incredible movement of all the animals, humans and plants. It's totally the attention to detail and tiny little quirks that add to the realty of the show. It never fails to suck me in, even though i know i'm losing something in the verbal translation.
I think my intro was the horrible "anime" of the 80's while i was a child. Just...aweful. But when i was in college a friend introduced me to the first movie I remember as being absolutely mesmerizing...Wings of Honneamise. I could not believe what i was seeing, and that this level of hand drawn cartoon was achieved! I didn't know what it was called, I just knew i liked it. A LOT. After that it was a flood that was a little all over the place...Ranma 1/2,  Cowboy Beebop later as well as Ghost in the Shell and Akira as well as so any I can't remember. He also introduced me to the tentacle stuff, but i thought it was horrible and tainted the true art of anime, but I don't condemn anyone who likes it. Art is art, some i like and some i don't. He just liked it more than i did, but respected me enough not to make me watch it when i was over :)

Offline Mareacooda

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 03:57:33 PM »
I find anything mild fantasy/ comedy!

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
I used to be really into anime when I was in middle and high school.  I don't really keep up with anime anymore, but I still love the ones I grew up with.

I think my first /anime/ purchase was a copy of Spirited Away on DVD.  I started out buying manga, actually.  My first manga purchase was Chrono Crusade vol. 1

My favoruites are:
Chrono Crusade
Tenchi Muyo
Battle Angel Alita
Ergo Proxy
The Big O
Gundam Wing
Yuugiou (Yu-Gi-Oh)

And anything from Studio Ghibli.

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 02:55:34 PM »
Genre preference and what I like the most about it?

Fantasy/supernatural: it's interesting to see how some supernatural forces are actually normal in those universes (FMA for example), but based on science we are familiar with, or how some concepts are presented in a new way (Madoka). There is usually a deeper meaning than just cool powers and I often like to imagine what would this world look like with them or what would I use them for. They make my life little less ordinary, but at the same time make me realise that there is some "relative" magic in this world: imagine what would people in dark ages think if you showed them a smartphone. It really is an incredible thing, but we take it for granted. So, why would we treat magic or alchemy any different if they were real? Anyway, a lot to think about and sometimes makes my thoughts contradictory.

Shounen: I love how they can do almost anything with willpower. I kinda started to believe in that (I used to quit things all the time) and thanks to that I've done and learnt some things that I've never thought I would. Also, I know a lot of people hate Naruto (both manga and the character), but I just love it. It's not perfect, but if you look into it, there's a lot more than fights, powers and obvious morals.

Shounen-ai (not yaoi!): Well, obviously, cute anime boys! And not so obvious; it's about accepting who you are, society, relationships and family, emotional stuff and so on.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 05:10:43 PM »

I like the ones with characters that aren't human - I guess that goes under Supernatural - ones with demons, ghosts, ect. Like Inuyasha, black butler, soul eater. I have always liked Japanese mythology/shinto stuff and this kinda follows along those lines.
I also like the ones aimed for teenage boys with lots of kick ass fighting (even though im an adult female)

I don't really care much for ones that are nothing but fan service or daily high school life. Also not a fan of ones with giant robots fighting invading aliens like Evangelion.

I dont think there is an age for being too old for anime or manga. Im 34 and still watch pokemon..so yeah.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal