collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why is Mimic still so expensive?  (Read 3253 times)

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Why is Mimic still so expensive?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 03:05:23 PM »
She's still expensive because I don't have her! Once I have her she will drop in price by $25, I just know it...  :P :blink:

^ This...it's a scheme against the two of us, I'm telling you! 

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 05:56:07 PM »
I'm curious as to how some people 'know' there were as many Mimics in a box of TEs as the others. I've heard both that and that there were fewer of her but no proof of either. ?

It makes sense to me that they'd produce fewer Mimics than the others. I can't imagine ever designing that pony and saying "this will be a big hit with little girls!" because they've always known pink ponies and such sell better than the off ones.

If they did start of selling as many Mimics and she didn't sell well it's also possible they would have stopped producing her or reduced production. I'd like to know the actual facts.  :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 11:34:23 PM »
It comes down to simple supply and demand.
The supply of Mimics is low compared to, say, Cotton Candys or Bowties or Windys.  She was part of the last TE set, and generally the second or third set of anything is rarer as store adoption was lower, thus smaller production runs. Her frequency at auction is comparable with the two other non-rerelease ponies, Quackers and Bright Eyes, which supports the reasonable conclusion they were equally packed to a case. 

Demand for Mimic is high, due to her colors being unusual, a rare pose, being the principal character in one of the animated episodes, and she has the "status symbol" or following, and is thus popular.  Even if she had been produced as commonly as Cotton Candy, her price would be higher since more people want her / find her appealing. 

Low supply and high demand translates into a high cost.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 03:04:52 AM »
I'm curious as to how some people 'know' there were as many Mimics in a box of TEs as the others. I've heard both that and that there were fewer of her but no proof of either. ?

It makes sense to me that they'd produce fewer Mimics than the others. I can't imagine ever designing that pony and saying "this will be a big hit with little girls!" because they've always known pink ponies and such sell better than the off ones.

If they did start of selling as many Mimics and she didn't sell well it's also possible they would have stopped producing her or reduced production. I'd like to know the actual facts.  :P

Hasbro catalogues and sales lists from the time. They list how many ponies and who were in each assortment. So a retailer flicking through the flossy pages of a catalogue could see who they were getting and understand what quantities had to be ordered in. Its the exact same process buyers will go through now although most buyers catalogues are electronic nowadays either an actual brochure or an online ordering website.

The vast majority of retailers purchased this way; its just standard for manufacturers to insist on minimum orders and the toy industry is renowned for its frustrating "assortments" which is essentially what we call "sets" were. That way a retailer gets a selection of different items and the manufacturer gets a minimum order. There were the odd exception to the rule however and on occasion some stores were permitted to order single products but it only seemed to happen very rarely.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline ponycake

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 10:34:00 AM »
Hasbro catalogues and sales lists from the time. They list how many ponies and who were in each assortment. So a retailer flicking through the flossy pages of a catalogue could see who they were getting and understand what quantities had to be ordered in. Its the exact same process buyers will go through now although most buyers catalogues are electronic nowadays either an actual brochure or an online ordering website.

The vast majority of retailers purchased this way; its just standard for manufacturers to insist on minimum orders and the toy industry is renowned for its frustrating "assortments" which is essentially what we call "sets" were. That way a retailer gets a selection of different items and the manufacturer gets a minimum order. There were the odd exception to the rule however and on occasion some stores were permitted to order single products but it only seemed to happen very rarely.

And you've seen these?

I'm still kind of doubtful there are as many of her out there as the others, but I do think it's possible. I was just curious as to hard facts since everyone says one thing, but before no one has really said how they know. But I do think it could be some sort of hype that kickstarted early that made people think she was rare and that has never died out. I wouldn't necessarily agree that it's simply because she's some super beautiful pony, I think she's a status symbol more than anything.

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 02:23:32 PM »
I think it has a lot to do with all of these things, including the fact that the people who are buying right now are in their 30's and 40's. It's a perfect storm for collections to either rise tremendously or plummet substatially. This age is the FIRST to have access to eBay and other auction/sales sites from around the world, a well established and reputable online way of payment, the desire to acquire childhood memorabalia as well as disposable income. Before now ordering from another country was spotty and most people didn't look at the internet for shopping in the 90's, so people who were 30-40ish had to rely on local sales, swap meets,, auctions, or magazine ads and antique stores to get THEIR childhood memories. Their priorities are different now that they're in their 50's-60's now. Even in the first decade of 2000 buying online was a fair novelty for most people!
Anyway, so that's my take. She's popular because she's popular. She's like the popular kid in high school that you look at and go "what does everyone see in her?" If you're not one of those people then you'll never understand (I'm one of them) and your reason for aquiring her isn't for status or childhood dream of ownership.
Glad my childhood ownership dream was Butterscotch!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 03:11:56 PM »

And you've seen these?

I'm still kind of doubtful there are as many of her out there as the others, but I do think it's possible. I was just curious as to hard facts since everyone says one thing, but before no one has really said how they know. But I do think it could be some sort of hype that kickstarted early that made people think she was rare and that has never died out. I wouldn't necessarily agree that it's simply because she's some super beautiful pony, I think she's a status symbol more than anything.

Nope I am making it all up to cause confusion of course. :/

I have seen such sales lists and catalogues and own such sales lists and catalogues. As do many other collectors. You ll need to track down the people who claim contradictory information and get them to site their own sources as I have had to do - then you can decide which you prefer to believe.   

Check out an ended ebay auction search for the 3 ponies mentioned - Quackers, Bright Eyes and Mimic. In quantity of unique auctions they are not that far apart in volume within the same window usually 6 to 12 auctions a piece.

Everyone is entitled to believe what they prefer of course.
Loa is my love god!

Offline ponycake

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 04:37:44 PM »

And you've seen these?

Nope I am making it all up to cause confusion of course. :/

I have seen such sales lists and catalogues and own such sales lists and catalogues. As do many other collectors. You ll need to track down the people who claim contradictory information and get them to site their own sources as I have had to do - then you can decide which you prefer to believe.   

Check out an ended ebay auction search for the 3 ponies mentioned - Quackers, Bright Eyes and Mimic. In quantity of unique auctions they are not that far apart in volume within the same window usually 6 to 12 auctions a piece.

Everyone is entitled to believe what they prefer of course.

Uhhhhh I don't know why you seem to feel like I'm being rude or attacking you or something, but okay. I was just wondering if it was passed along word or if you had seen it personally, it was the first time I had heard about it in the several Mimic discussions I've seen. And Ebay auctions aren't a very reliable method to tell. I was just trying to ascertain facts here, not doubt you as a person or challenge your wisdom or something.  :rolleyes:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 04:43:32 PM »
Sure....no problem  :rolleyes:
Loa is my love god!

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 05:34:41 PM »
Prices will continue to increase with more and more collectors.  Right now G1 ponies are not THAT old, so while the best time to buy may have been 10-15 years ago, it's really now or never for some of the really collectible ponies.  While she's not exactly rare, no, she will eventually become as such.  Mimic is still not at all as common as Peachies and Lickety-Splits, and that disparity will only increase with time and the influx of new collectors into the MLP fandom.

. . . until I out live all of you, then I get ALL THE PONIES!!!

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 06:12:21 PM »
Prices will continue to increase with more and more collectors.  Right now G1 ponies are not THAT old, so while the best time to buy may have been 10-15 years ago, it's really now or never for some of the really collectible ponies.  While she's not exactly rare, no, she will eventually become as such.  Mimic is still not at all as common as Peachies and Lickety-Splits, and that disparity will only increase with time and the influx of new collectors into the MLP fandom.

I'd like to think that i, too, will still collect ponies post-zombie apocolypse :lol:

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 06:47:25 PM »

I'd like to think that i, too, will still collect ponies post-zombie apocolypse :lol:

I plan on having a Fallout style museum covered in the zillions of ponies I will spend my days collecting, instead of being a helpful member of post-zombie apocalypse society. 

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 08:03:13 PM »

I plan on having a Fallout style museum covered in the zillions of ponies I will spend my days collecting, instead of being a helpful member of post-zombie apocalypse society. 

Oh great, I'm going to have company picking through refuse and debris, cackling with delight and squealing and dancing when I find a pony.  :)  Well at least you'll be human... I hope. ;)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 10:16:24 PM »

Well, ya'll can fight over all the post-apocalyptic ponies while I get all the canned food and vintage muscle cars, okay? 

Offline Sabrina

• Trade Count: (+88)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 10:22:21 PM »

Well, ya'll can fight over all the post-apocalyptic ponies while I get all the canned food and vintage muscle cars, okay?

Lol! ^.^

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal