collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Why hasn't Applejack been getting any love lately in the toy line?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline Sawkinator

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Why hasn't Applejack been getting any love lately in the toy line?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 10:13:54 PM »
People always give the reason that 'she isn't popular among little girls'

Well, what can Hasbro expect when all they're feeding girls are the pink and purple princess ponies? It's a never ending cycle. :facepalm:

It really does suck for the girls who aren't slaves to the pink/dress up/tea party getup. I was one of those girls growing up and I did feel left behind sometimes.

Offline PrincessGryph

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • The Want It Need It Spell... Works Every Time!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Gryph Customs for Sale!
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 10:17:14 PM »

Well, what can Hasbro expect when all they're feeding girls are the pink and purple princess ponies? It's a never ending cycle. :facepalm:

It really does suck for the girls who aren't slaves to the pink/dress up/tea party getup. I was one of those girls growing up and I did feel left behind sometimes.

I second that sentiment. Ugh.

LuckyTwirlerina

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 10:48:47 PM »
I mentioned this a little while ago so I'll just kind of paraphrase:

Applejack is probably the most mature or the mane 6 and not a very relatable characters for children to begin with because almost all of her episodes revolve around her adult-like responsibilities. She doesn't get nearly enough episodes for any other "flaws" to be apparent enough that they need to bother figuring out new lessons for her, and she's not pink to make up for any of this.

I think it's sad that they're (not so slowly) pushing her away. She could be a really great role model for children from not so great home situations that have to take on a lot of adult jobs early on if she were used correctly in the show.

To be completely honest, she's my favourite because I find her to be the least utterly stupid of the group and she and Rarity are the only ones I genuinely enjoy watching anymore.

I also mentioned this before, but again: My local toy stores and sections are not even STOCKING AJ products anymore. I haven't seen her in months. :(

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »
Both Applejack and Rarity get ignored in much of the merchandise, and it seems so silly to be. Sure, Applejack is more mature and family-orientated than the other ponies, but why not actually market her like that? There are plenty of tomboys and kids who feel super connected to her family that could get behind that. I am still surprised that we never got an AJ and her family set. Or even an AJ and AB.

Speaking of which, we never got a dual release of Rarity and Sweetie Belle either. And despite their LOVE for pink and fashion and frilly things, why haven't we seen a Rarity fashion set? She's basically built for their marketing, and yet!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 03:38:06 AM »
Hasbro doesn't sit around a table and say "we don't like her because she is not pink and not a princess". Marketing is all about supplying what your market wants rather than forcing your market into buying something. Very few products which force their way into a shopping basket last longer than a fad period. In any on going line like this and in order to ensure its targeted where they want it to be and continues to be a success, there is continual analysis. Through market research, focus groups, sales figures. All of these things will be combined and analysed and unfortunately it clearly must indicate that the popular characters as Pinkie, RD and Twilight with the FS and Rarity following up and then concluding with poor AJ. Thats the pattern for the toy line and for merch, so that must be what Hasbro are finding.

Its frustrating and really disappointing that she does not get anywhere near enough attention and really looks as though she is being rejected in favour of 3 background characters a lot of the time. But that's another example of Hasbro/Hasbro licensees catering to what their market want. Why do we get Drama Pony, DJ and Dr Whooves all the time? Because that's what the market for those products is calling out for - and Hasbro are fulfilling it. They want those ponies way before they want Applejack. Why do we get Pinkie, RD and TS all the time in children's merch, because those are the characters that their target market have told them they want, that their retailers have said sell the best.

I hate the way we point fingers and go "ewwwww pink and princesses" *gag*. This is a little girls line aimed at a little girl market who, yes [and though some dont like it], in the majority will want pink, rainbow and princessey things. The 3 ponies that get the most shelf time fulfil that market pretty spot on. Is Hasbro buying into a stereotype? Sure of course they are...but so is every other single toy on the market. If the market dont want orange and yellow, cowgirl Applejack, then unfortunately for us Hasbro are going to downgrade her and simply not offer her up in assortments as much as their best sellers.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 04:30:56 AM »
Its frustrating and really disappointing that she does not get anywhere near enough attention and really looks as though she is being rejected in favour of 3 background characters a lot of the time. But that's another example of Hasbro/Hasbro licensees catering to what their market want. Why do we get Drama Pony, DJ and Dr Whooves all the time? Because that's what the market for those products is calling out for - and Hasbro are fulfilling it. They want those ponies way before they want Applejack. Why do we get Pinkie, RD and TS all the time in children's merch, because those are the characters that their target market have told them they want, that their retailers have said sell the best.

I think part of what Hasbro observes in their sales is due to people picking the best of what they can get, too. To be honest AJ is one of my fav out of the Mane 6, but if they had a plush of her vs a plush of [Picture of a Muffin], I'd pick up Muffin just because I won't have been seeing it on the shelves as much.

AJ had a pretty good run at the start of the line - she came with a Barn and she came with a truck. She was the first FS pony and she even appeared in a bonus set. She also does still get a run out in at least every other standard playful set wave. It was and is enough for Hasbro to get a feel of where she is in popularity with those picking up ponies on shelves.

And unfortunately its not just sales figures. If it was just sales figures then yes limited availability would have to be factored in to calculations but when you dont have equal releases your market research will play an even bigger part and market research must be saying she is not going to be a good seller. :(
Loa is my love god!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 07:09:03 AM »
Man, this is so weird...I was thinking about this exact topic today!  I am wearing my second pair of HT MLP PJ pants and just freakin' realized she is the only mane 6 pony not on them  :enraged:

This happened to me too! I picked up the same pj's you're talking about a Hot Topic because the poses of the ponies were just absolutely adorable. Plus they had 3-4 different poses for each of the Mane 6! But then I got home and I was looking at them... and I realized... all the colors except orange were present... o.0

That totally confuses me because they obviously had room to put AJ on the pj's, and they included the other five Mane 6 characters. And like I said, each pony got like 3-4 different poses on the print... so why no AJ? Otherwise it's a great print! Twilight is in her alicorn form. I almost want to buy another pair of pj's just to cannibalize and sew something with the fabric... But then I would miss AJ every time I looked at it...

*goes to try to find a photo online*

Edit:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 07:12:28 AM by Dragonflitter »
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 07:17:04 AM »

Rainbow Dash is also not in line with the pink/dress up/tea party thing and has the whole fun action rebel thing going on for those that aren't into pink and princesses.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 07:19:00 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 08:11:23 AM »
It's sad! When FiM started, she was my least favorite of the Mane Six and now I love her (though she was a tad... special in this latest episode), and she is my husband's favorite character. I really would like to see AJ get some love!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 08:17:08 AM »
A friend who works at Hot Topic said she's the lowest selling character, which I found really interesting.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 08:36:53 AM »

Rainbow Dash is also not in line with the pink/dress up/tea party thing and has the whole fun action rebel thing going on for those that aren't into pink and princesses.

Plus she has rainbow coloured hair in the toy and is "cool" in the show - 2 points which always work - pretty rainbows or being popular. I do think however that without that rainbow coloured hair, she would also be on the slow selling side. Blue and orange and green...never popular for this.

Its commonly known in marketing that differentiation makes for greater profit margins and segmentation offers a bigger overall market hold. At the end of the day its depressing but so many of these toys are just capturing current society and reflecting it back - and its a society which they helped to create in the late 80s in order to get a better market grip and simply make more money. All of that adds up...to less AJ. :(
Loa is my love god!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 08:58:33 AM »
(though she was a tad... special in this latest episode)

:lmao: True dat!!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Emerald Treasure

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 09:04:56 AM »
Maybe Hasbro got tired of either releasing a hat with her or having people complain about lackthereof.

Offline MorningGlorysParadise82

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 09:33:16 AM »
I agree with pretty much everyone. AJ I liked right away being a G1 fan. Then Fluttershy. Throughout most of my collecting even as a girl I always like the weird\colorful\unpopular ponies more than others. which is probably why I get excited when I see tic-tac-toe merch. As far as AJ DD9 AND I were both disappointed that AJ or TS didnt get a deluxe EQG doll w/fashion. But Rarity and RD, PP, and Fluttershy did. Its a popularity contest and I just look it like this: the less there is of something the more it could be worth down the road. So go ahead and flood the market with PP & RD my AJ will be worth more than your RD...
Live as though the world is as it should be, to show what it can be.
Want List/My Ponydex/Ref.sheet

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2014, 12:02:28 PM »
If Hasbro were more creative, they could make a lot of sales using AJ. Imagine an Apple Family-themed play kitchen, or an AJ cash register, they could have family farm-themed kits in the play food aisle with apples, pies, fritters, zap apple jam, etc. I think toys like this would do really well.

Preach, sister!
It's so odd they made this "Applejack with random foal" playet that was sleepover themed. They could have made this a sister pack with 'Bloom but I guess they thought a random purple/pink filly would sell better than a red and yellow one that was already known by kids :/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal