collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Obscure Trading Card Games  (Read 1633 times)

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
Obscure Trading Card Games
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:16:17 AM »
My boyfriend has got me curious what dead yet still popular card games there are out there! He's really into Rage by whitewolf CCG. (also if anyone has any for sale pm me) I myself never got into anything much other than pokemon and Magic. I did have a bunch of collectible cards growing up but they weren't games. Tell me about your card games!
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Obscure Trading Card Games
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 07:58:41 AM »
I never really got the appeal of trading card games myself and sorta wish it was easier to find normal trading cards again but everything want to be a game instead. Hubby used to play Magic though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Nightbow

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • A figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 08:10:29 AM »
I have a huge set of Pokémon cards. Have never tried any other TGCs, but as far as card games go I recommend getting Munchkin.
I'm looking to buy Port-o-Bella. Please email me.

Offline JazzMatazz

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 09:10:29 AM »
I have a huge set of Pokémon cards. Have never tried any other TGCs, but as far as card games go I recommend getting Munchkin.
  I love munchkin and own a copy and some booster expansions but I NEVER have enough people to get a game going it just sits all year and maybe gets played once :( Which is why I now only buy games that can be at least a minimum of 2 players
My Wishlist  Instagram

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 10:05:15 AM »
Pokémon, yu gi oh and magic were big with me when I was in highschool many moons back :)

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
I only play Pokémon, though I used to play Yu-Gi-Oh! and Digimon too.

For less well known games/ones I never got around to actually playing properly, I had a near-complete collection of Monster Rancher cards. I also had some cards from a Japanese exclusive series called Legendz (purchased solely because dragon). Oh, and I had some Blue Dragon cards too.

And of course - Kingdom Hearts! Although the card game never came to UK again so most of my cards are Japanese again.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 12:11:20 PM »
I collected, pokemon and digimon back in the day and still do a bit now if I see older ones but not that often anymore.

I have a nice collection of yugioh cards going but have only played the game once or twice at most. (but I mainly just collect certain cards now.

Though the one I played most as a kid was the puppy in my pocket game cards that came with the toys.

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 02:20:35 PM »
I was playing CCGs right at the peak of the CCG craze, when everybody and their brother was coming out with new games.  It died off after WOTC managed to copyright some of the game mechanics, and that made getting new games to market A LOT harder.  I have no idea which of these are still popular, but here's a list of what I remember:

Middle Earth - A Lord of the Rings game.  It hung around for a little while, and managed to get a few expansion sets.  It had really nice art!

Star Trek, the Next Generation - Another larger one.  It had several expansion sets, and some of the main character cards sold for high prices back in the day.  No idea what the market is like now.

Jyhad(Vampire, the Eternal Struggle) - Another larger one from what I remember.  I didn't go after any of these cards, but I think this one was a really big one.  The guy who created Magic created this one.

Xfiles - They made a CCG from the show.  I don't think it stuck around too long.  It came out *just* when things got difficult for card game makers. 

Wyvern CCG - A dragon themed game.  All the art was done by the same artist.  I had a few decks of this, but never really played it.  I think this one was around for a few years, and it might have even had some expansion sets.

Illuminati - This game looked interesting, and I had a few cards, but I never found anyone to play it with.  Worth checking out just to see some of the crazy cards.   

Monty Python CCG  - Another small game, this time based off Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  I had a few cards from this one, but again never found anyone to play with.

I only really played Magic and Rage back in the day.  Most of the other games I bought a few cards for fun, but never got a chance to really get into the games.  I couldn't tell you which games are the most fun, but hopefully my list will give you a starting point.

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 01:31:32 PM »
I have so many trading cards that it isn't even funny >.> I have a tendency to collect cards from things that I like, even if I never play the game. Then I get twitchy and buy more because I think 'oh... well... now I don't have a complete set.... must fix!' So over the years I have collected:

Monster Rancher - I bought boxes of these when I was a kid. They didn't sell well and my local card store started selling their left over stock for about $10 a box. I loved the show it was based off of.
Yu Yu Hakusho - Not many people knew about this card game but I actually found a few people to play against.
Pokemon
Yu-Gi-Oh
Digimon - they started releasing new sets.... curse them.... already collecting them *facedesk* lol
Cardcaptors - I have a few from this card game just because I liked the show.
.Hack//Sign - My latest card collection because I keep finding boxes of them for $10 and under at card stores. I love the .hack series and... now I have cards for it. Sigh.
Gundam Wing/Mobile Suit Gundam - This and Pokemon were my two first card games.
Kingdom Hearts - I wish I had been able to find more of these around.

And my fiance plays Magic The Gathering. Between the two of us it could be said that we are card game people ^^; And I still tend to buy cards from the above mentioned sets if I come across them. I also saw somewhere that How To Train Your Dragon is releasing a card something or rather (not sure if collectable cards or a card game) which I didn't know I needed in my life until I saw it previewed lol.

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 03:22:41 PM »
I have never been smart enough to keep track of all the different rules and stuff in CCG's (even though I really think they look AWESOME and fun!) but when I was in middle school a group of my guy friends played a game called "Milk Money" all the time.  I *think* the premise was you were in a fight on a school playground, but like I said, I never got the hang of the rules. 

Mr. Skeen played Pokémon when he was younger, and every once in a while he plays the GBA version just for funzies. 

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 04:17:44 PM »
I´ve only played Yu gi oh! But I also have pokemon ( wizards of coast), digimon, only got the basic deck and 1st booster ( never learned how to play the dam thing ), and finally Harry Potter, I only played once and never got more the first collection. We only had one store that sold the cards and it closed ( way before the crisis ). Now only through the internet.

Offline JazzMatazz

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 05:56:25 PM »
I have never been smart enough to keep track of all the different rules and stuff in CCG's (even though I really think they look AWESOME and fun!) but when I was in middle school a group of my guy friends played a game called "Milk Money" all the time.  I *think* the premise was you were in a fight on a school playground, but like I said, I never got the hang of the rules. 

Mr. Skeen played Pokémon when he was younger, and every once in a while he plays the GBA version just for funzies. 
  hehehe the game is called Lunch Money! I own a copy of it! That one is a bit harder to keep track of since you need tokens. usually in the form of coins ;) You are little school girls beating each other up for their lunch money!

I had at one point a nice collection of Harry Potter the TCG when I was younger but I gifted them to a friend with kids who actively play still. That family is way into trading card games
My Wishlist  Instagram

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 04:20:30 PM »
Never really played them myself!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 06:15:09 PM »
I have played MTG, Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh (I still have a bunch of the first released cards in my closet). I kind of fell out of MTG after someone stole my collection.

I have played Munchkin and Munchkin Foo, absolutely love it!
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal