collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Obscure Kids Shows  (Read 19588 times)

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
Re: Obscure Kids Shows
« Reply #135 on: March 02, 2014, 01:37:52 PM »
I can remember loads of shows but some of the more obscure ones are

Bangers and mash
Cats eyes
James the cat
Nellie the elephant
Orm and cheep
The shoe people
Hatty town
Barmy aunt boomerang
Belfry witches
King rollo
Micro soap
Monster cafe
Oakie doke
Noah's Island
Penny crayon
Potamus park
Alphabet castle
Cockleshell bay
The slow Norris

And I also like Bodger and badger and my favorite show ever was button moon which I still love and I sort of remember a show which I think was Australian about an elephant and his toy friends which I loved but can trembler what it was called

NOAH'S ISLAND  :shocked: I loved that! I totally couldn't remember the name until now :lol: and Oakie Doke, too :D
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 02, 2014, 01:43:24 PM »
Anyone seen The Witches or The BFG?
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Tenar

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #137 on: March 02, 2014, 01:59:20 PM »
Little Prince was once of my favorites as a kid.  I also remember a lot of the other's mentioned.  Hilarious House of Frightenstine was a very strange show.

I picked this one up on DVD just recently, but it is the anime version of The Jungle Book.  This show is still amazing.  It is my favorite version of the Junlge book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHsfJM6DGW4

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #138 on: March 02, 2014, 02:03:42 PM »
Oh, man.  Talk about a wave of nostalgia!  This thread is great!  Anyone mentioned the Teddy Bear Picnic?  Not sure if that was the title but I think it was a movie...

Not really obscure but Gummi Bears!  Gummi Bears. Bouncing here and there and everywhere.  High adventure that's beyond compare.  They are the GUMMI BEARS!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:08:29 PM by Aadra310 »

Offline Nightbow

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • A figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 02, 2014, 03:03:15 PM »
These are obscure at least to a Swedish 90's kid (born in 1990).

I also thought of Pirates of dark water, kind of wondered if it was worth revisiting someday, if it's even available. But since I hear in this thread it never actually ended ... well, I should spare myself the pain. There's also this alternate Peter Pan series that I can't find with a white-haired captain Hook, probably made by the same people that brought us the Japanese The little mermaid Marina, in love with prince Justin, that also never got an ending!
I think those where on Fox Kids. I also managed to catch a single episode of little loch ness monsters that I have yet to find again.

But my big childhood fave that aired in sweden about ten years ago was Simba the king lion, a weird arabic rip-off of The lion king, Bambi and the Jungle Book! Also, it had lightning powers and dinosaurs.
Secret Quirrel on CN was another of my heroes.

Mirror mirror was a live action series that I never understood fully because of my age and the language, but I know I watched it until the sad ending and I still sing the opening theme!

God, does anyone remember Mumfie the elephant? He travelled with a scarecrow and Rosie the flying pig. :)

Also Animals of farthing woods was a bit of a rarity when I grew up. My friend managed to catch it on I don't know what channel, and I always felt like I was missing out on something. It airs on "the children channel" every so often, so I catch it sometimes.

Oh, and we had one VHS tape of Biker mice from march, along with one copy of Dino riders.

And I also remember watching Noah's Island !

Sigh. Most of these can't be bought anymore, and those that are available are horribly re-dubbed in swedish because of new right holders. This sadly includes my little pony.
I'm looking to buy Port-o-Bella. Please email me.

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2014, 04:02:10 PM »
I was totally in love with The Jungle book/Shonen Mowgli :lovey:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2014, 04:30:55 PM »
Zoobilee Zoo was a fun one to watch as a kid.

PandoraFox

« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2014, 04:37:24 PM »
These are obscure at least to a Swedish 90's kid (born in 1990).

I also thought of Pirates of dark water, kind of wondered if it was worth revisiting someday, if it's even available. But since I hear in this thread it never actually ended ... well, I should spare myself the pain. There's also this alternate Peter Pan series that I can't find with a white-haired captain Hook, probably made by the same people that brought us the Japanese The little mermaid Marina, in love with prince Justin, that also never got an ending!

Oh! You mean Peter Pan and the Pirates?
I think we had 2 different Peter Pan series running simultaneously at one point. The adventures of Peter Pan as well as Peter Pan and the pirates.  Our kids channels could get kinda weird in the off hours.
I recall  both Pirates of Dark Water (that seriously never got an ending? :( )  as well as the mermaid show running in those our as well.

Speaking off odd hours though. Has anyone ever seen Argai: The Prophecy?
A show about a Time traveling lion knight who must save his beloved from a spell cast by an evil immortal snake queen?
I watched pretty much the whole of that show......at midnight.
It ran around midnight on a 24 hour kids channel. Thing is, that is normally the hour for incredibly dated reruns and such, but I'd never actually seen that show running on a normal hour at all, ever. I wonder if it was shown at such odd hours anywhere else?

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2014, 04:07:04 AM »
Also Animals of farthing woods was a bit of a rarity when I grew up. My friend managed to catch it on I don't know what channel, and I always felt like I was missing out on something. It airs on "the children channel" every so often, so I catch it sometimes.
I used to absolutely love that show as a kid. Once they got to White Deer Park though, I became a little less interested in the series for some reason (probably the unnecessary animal replacements all the time).

@HippieBex - Button Moon was my absolute favorite when I was really young! :D

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2014, 05:01:47 AM »
Anyone seen The Witches or The BFG?

I vaguely remember The BFG!

Oh, man.  Talk about a wave of nostalgia!  This thread is great!  Anyone mentioned the Teddy Bear Picnic?  Not sure if that was the title but I think it was a movie...

Not really obscure but Gummi Bears!  Gummi Bears. Bouncing here and there and everywhere.  High adventure that's beyond compare.  They are the GUMMI BEARS!

Yep, I mentioned Teddy Bear's Picnic :) I also used to watch Gummi Bears. It was one of my favorite shows :D I'm thinking about ordering the DVDs hehe.

And I also remember Peter Pan and the Pirates and Denver the Last Dinosaur!

Did anyone ever watch The Brave Little Toaster? I think it's been released on DVD so not so obscure, but it was a weird movie about appliances trying to find their master :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UfsEj7AOGI

Worthless

OMG, that song/scene STILL creeps me out :shocked:
My Wish List

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2014, 07:15:07 AM »
There are DVDs of Gummi Bears? I may have to get that for my daughters!  :lol: I know I have seen DVDs of Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, so may have to jump for that too!
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2014, 07:38:18 AM »
I used to absolutely love that show as a kid. Once they got to White Deer Park though, I became a little less interested in the series for some reason (probably the unnecessary animal replacements all the time).

@HippieBex - Button Moon was my absolute favorite when I was really young! :D

The episode where they swim across the river terrified me, and still does. I couldn't watch the bit with the debris. I had nightmares about that...I don't think I ever saw as far as them getting to White Deer Park :(
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2014, 07:44:43 AM »
*edit* I figured it out, I used to watch Under the Umbrella Tree as a kid!
Also the horrifying Dumbo's Circus *hides... I'm glad I never have to see it again!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:12:24 AM by JazzMatazz »
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2014, 07:53:58 AM »
Anyone know about Gullah Gullah Island?

I don't think I ever watched it but I remember commercials for it. I was never a fan of live action / puppet shows excluding really popular ones.
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2014, 08:25:05 AM »
It was a live action kid's drama on CBC. The main character was a boy who fell out of his treehouse and hit his head, and most of the story played out in his coma/dream world. There were no adults in that world, but the kid was still convinced that his father was there somewhere and he was hell bent on finding him. I remember the father's little telescope was really important, but I don't remember if they ever explained why. Does anyone else know what show I'm talking about?
Ah, I know what you mean - it was on Nickelodeon in the UK at some point, and I think there was a season where he recovered from his coma, but there was still something going on since the show continued.  I just Googled it because I remembered the name of the boy in a coma - It's The Oddesy (though I swear I saw it mentioned in this thread at some point, so maybe someone already answered you?) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Odyssey_(TV_series)

So much nostalgia looking through this thread - there's so many shows I recognize on here.  :biggrin:

Does "Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad" (I normally just called it "Samurize" based on the show's catchphrase as a kid) count as obscure?  Very few people seem to know what I'm going on about when I mention it; it was a live action show about a teenage boy who could transport himself into a "Digital World" (nothing to do with Digimon  :P) using his computer, and he'd fight monsters that were supposed to be computer viruses.  For some reason that no one ever bothered to explain, "computer viruses" effected everything in this show, from televisions to hairdryers. 

Looking back, it was a very flawed show; the fight scenes could have been done by anyone (no martial arts like in Power Rangers or anything), and it reused footage a lot - especially if a "virus" was remade, the entire fight would usually be the exact same fight with new dialogue (though they'd occasionally film a new one), but I loved it, and still do.  It is also unfairly viewed as a Power Rangers rip off by the few people who have seen it, but really it's only direct simularity is that had the "combine all verhicals" thing going on, which was already a trope.  VR Troopers was much closer to Power Rangers, and even it doesn't deserve to be called a rip off. (and yes, "Syber" is spelled with an "S" in the title).

Maya The Bee
I never watched this, but what's vaguely interesting is that recently I see it reffererenced in various places, and this is before the CGI remake aired (at least in the UK).  For example, Tuff Puppy had a very quick Maya cameo in one episode, and they were already parodying another show at the time (Brady Bunch).

Also, while I don't know if the original version has been shown in the UK (or if it's like MLP and has many versions), but I pass a building almost every week on the bus which is called "Maya" and it has Maya herself as the logo/mascot.  I dunno know if it's a resturant or a shop or what, but it's definitely based on the show. This is before the CGI remake arrived as well.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal