collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice on selling mountain boys  (Read 373 times)

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
Advice on selling mountain boys
« on: February 25, 2014, 12:48:08 PM »
I need help, currently I am going through my collection and deciding who to keep and who not.

And up to now I have not had a problem deciding what to do but when it comes to my mountain boys I am torn in two. last week I was all up for putting them up for sale but now I really don't want to get rid of them.    :freak:

I have being through this sell them don't sell them for the last month or so. they did take a lot of time to track down and find at a reasonable price in the first place and I only need two to finish the set.

currently they are put away and out of sight, but only because I don't have display space at the moment but I was also hoping that it would help in the decision making ...... its not.

I love my boys I think this is why it is a hard decision to make. I know in the end it is only me that can decide but I am not after offers to buy  just what would you do if it was you sell or keep them?

these are the culprits in question that are making my head spin  :cry:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on selling mountain boys
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 01:09:12 PM »
Well, I guess it would depend on why i had to sell them. I'd prefer not to, but if it's money you need to live or kepp something else alive (vet bills etc) I'd sell them in a heartbeat, though it would be sad to. Living things and my comfort in life are far more important than pieces of plastic, and hunting them down is most of the fun for me, anyway :)

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:13:08 PM »
If it were me personally, I would keep them.  They are extremely popular among collectors, and while you wouldn't have any trouble selling them, I think you would have seller's remorse.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 01:14:04 PM »
Unless I was really strapped for cash, I personally wouldn't get rid of them. "Thinning the herd" in my mind usually refers to moving on ponies that you don't really care about or are dirt common and easy to replace if you have second thoughts. Uncommon and more expensive ponies, even if you only love them a little bit, would probably feel better to keep, than to send away and later regret as they shoot up in price/rarity.

Plus there's three Ice Crystals and one each of Sunburst, Fireball and Lightning on ebay right now. Seems like a few other people have decided to liquidate their MBs and you might be able to snag a set completer. ;)

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:29:59 PM »
I once was in your shoes, I really needed the money to pay a credit card bill, and I had to sell Icey, Tornado and Fireball.
Let me tell you, I still miss them, and I haven't gotten them back yet. I wish I hadn't sold them. :(
So if you don't really have to, I wouldn't do it.

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »
I just sold my Ice Crystal, the one and only Mountain Boy I had. But that was the thing... he was the only one I had and to be honest, as lovely as he was, I wanted the pony I used the new found funds to purchase more.

Now, you have four! That is so close to completing the set!  They are lovely, and I wouldn't mind having them all one day, but being such a frugal buyer at the best of times it is highly unlikely that I was going to have the set anytime soon, and since I personally wasn't hugely attached, I made the decision to part with my Icey. He was always a bit of a back up pony for me, and finding the little grail pony I wanted but couldn't really afford was a big motivator in Ice Crystal's ultimate fate in my collection!  :blush:

If you are having a serious ooh and ahh moment and you're not hard up for cash, then I say keep them lest you have as someone mentioned earlier 'sellers remorse', particularly since they are expensive and they took you a long time to find in the first place. You might have the opportunity to display at some point and you could appreciate them all the more  :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 03:38:09 PM »
I agree that it depends on why you are thinking on selling. Are you doing it simply to make some space because some ponies are not on display? Or are you doing it because you need the $$ and there is nothing else which will quickly raise the pennies you need. If the former, then I would simply keep them stored - they are super popular and you never know when you will get the opportunity for more display and they can come out. If the latter, then I would grump, groan and be upset, but I would also accept that MBs are not OOAK and they do come up for sale with reasonable enough regularity.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 11:25:03 AM »
I think I will keep them for now. I don't need the money right now it was only to free up some space to be fair.

if I still feel the same in a few months then I will rethink about letting them go

thank you for all their advice it has being really helpful  :grouphug:

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 12:59:25 PM »
It really sounds like you have other ponies you care less about. Get rid of them first. If you decide to get rid of your boys, I would choose the least favorite, sell him, and see how many nights you cry yourself to sleep. Move slowly, my dear. Letting go is hard, and if you don't have to for emergency reasons, take as long as you need.
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 11:49:41 AM »
OMG DON'T! I almost wanted to sell off my Mountain Boys too because I didn't think they lived up to my expectations, but after keeping them for a while, I did fall in love with them. I know that if I sell them off now, I might never be able to get them back at the same price I paid for them.

However, if you do intend to sell, I'll gladly take your Thundercloud!!!!!

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal