collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I worked out why I don't like Equestria Girls!  (Read 2527 times)

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
    • View Profile
Re: I worked out why I don't like Equestria Girls!
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 02:18:03 AM »
I dunno. I wouldn't call their eyes too small.
(It's not as if actual humans got huge eyes.) In fact, i think the re-paint has a bit of a creepy stare going on but that's just me. ^^;
Yeah, to be honest, I think they're both kinda creepy  :unsure: Ponies should be left to be ponies  ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature by LordBlumiere

Sprinklecupcake

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 02:38:50 AM »
OMG I LOVE that repaint! Hasbro NEEDS to hire this person! :O I would soooooo buy those dolls impulsivly if they started selling them with bigger eyes! <3

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 03:58:34 AM »
See, the Rainbow Rocks basic lines in particular bothers me because of the eyes, but for a different reason--the eyes are waaaaaaaay too low. They're literally halfway down the face! Compare the basic vs. deluxe dolls when you get them in store--the deluxe has a different face mold and imo looks much better.

But your eyes are supposed to be half way down your face :P Ok...no fair enough I get your point. Its a doll so we dont expect actual anatomy to be accurate - would be preferable that they just looked nice.

I actually do think the one on the right is much more like the show. But show accuracy is something I really dont understand so while she is very cute, I can see why they would never release her that way. It sounds silly to say but her expression is like a "cartoon" doll [literally] which is not really going to work for the fashion doll aisle. Can you imagine a row of these dolls with eyes half the size of your head staring at you? I cant imagine them being too popular with their actual target market that way.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 04:53:05 AM »
Wow! Now I know why I don't like them either! The one on the right is actually pretty stinkin' adorable.. and much more like the MLP counterpart with the huge eyes.
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
It sounds silly to say but her expression is like a "cartoon" doll [literally] which is not really going to work for the fashion doll aisle. Can you imagine a row of these dolls with eyes half the size of your head staring at you? I cant imagine them being too popular with their actual target market that way.
Well, it's not like the ponies themselves are in any way anatomically "accurate," and they're still popular. Most fashion dolls aren't either! So I'm not really sure why making these look like the actual characters would be unpopular. I mean, the whole appeal of them is supposed to be that they're human versions of the ponies, not just random fashion dolls.

Offline melipuffles

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 08:48:12 AM »
They'd look like cute anime dolls with the bigger eyes!! <3

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 09:01:12 AM »
It sounds silly to say but her expression is like a "cartoon" doll [literally] which is not really going to work for the fashion doll aisle. Can you imagine a row of these dolls with eyes half the size of your head staring at you? I cant imagine them being too popular with their actual target market that way.
Well, it's not like the ponies themselves are in any way anatomically "accurate," and they're still popular. Most fashion dolls aren't either! So I'm not really sure why making these look like the actual characters would be unpopular. I mean, the whole appeal of them is supposed to be that they're human versions of the ponies, not just random fashion dolls.

Honestly, i'm glad they don't look like their show counterparts. So tired with this obsession over show accuracy.
I like that they got their horse ears and that they got cutiemarks on their face. I think the designs of the show would actually look very bland.
They would just be brightly colored dolls with unnatural hair colors. The cutiemarks and horse ears/wings actually link them to...ponies.
Not to mention that having their cutie mark on their body makes more sense to me than always accidentily wearing clothing with the same symbol on it.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 09:07:12 AM »
The repaint is cute but my problem with them is more their limbs.  Their arms are too short and they look so odd without elbow joints.  Their legs look like tubes as well. 

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 10:54:43 AM »
I still think they're both creepy, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the 'show accurate' one this time. I loathe fashion dolls, but cartoony dolls I can live with at least.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 11:09:55 AM »
The reason I don't like them:

1. They are meant to be ponies. I'm a fan of MLP because they are ponies, I don't want them to be human.

2. Their clothes/make-up don't fit their personalitys at all. The only one of them who are actually into fashion is Rarity. RD, AJ and TS don't seem like the types who'd were dresses, skirts and lots of make-up.

Why couldn't hasbro just have made a new fashion doll line instead of turning the ponies into humans? I still probably wouldn't like them much, (Monster High dolls e.g. looks so much better) but I wouldn't mind them.

I hope they won't be the end of My Little Pony. They seem to focus more and more on the dolls instead of ponies. :(
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Offline Hope1989

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
    • Hope's My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 11:39:54 AM »

Mee too BUT I like repainted one much more than original one
WTB! Sdcc 2013 Exclusives My Little Pony DJ Pon-3
Have 2 Crystal Empire Promo Packs NIP for sale! Interested in? Write me ^^
My collection: old thread 1 , old thread 2 NEW ONE:happy:
FB page
Wishlist

copper

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 11:48:50 AM »
(It's not as if actual humans got huge eyes.) In fact, i think the re-paint has a bit of a creepy stare going on but that's just me. ^^;
Yeah, to be honest, I think they're both kinda creepy  :unsure: Ponies should be left to be ponies  ;)

I agree. Ponies should be left to be ponies. ;)

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 12:04:49 PM »
The fact of the matter is, they exist, and kids seem to like them fine, so that's what's important imo. :)

That said, I would like it if the dolls were more like their movie counterparts, but I have yet to see even a really good custom. Something in between the repaint's bigger eyes and the original's makeup would be ideal, with actual sewn cloth clothes that match the movie outfit. At least the Rainbow Rocks dolls seem to be getting their on-screen outfits!

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

G4Sweeties

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 12:07:26 PM »
Wow! They should hire oak to do the eqgs instead!

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 12:08:53 PM »

I agree. Ponies should be left to be ponies. ;)
Agree here too. Including on the creepy part XD

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal