collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Revised: Ebay user to be cautious of: loves80stoys  (Read 1409 times)

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+522)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Revised: Ebay user to be cautious of: loves80stoys
« on: February 12, 2014, 07:30:58 AM »
Left neutral feedback without contacting me first to work anything out.

Maybe I should ask the question here: Is charging a shipping (& handling) Fee of $5.65 for something that the PO actually charged me $3.36 to send an unreasonable price to charge a buyer?

This taken straight out of the listing:
Shipping:
I hate being ripped off by shipping charges. I try to charge a reasonable amount. Please keep in mind that for me being a seller both PayPal & e-Bay charge me fees. I try to split my sellers costs with the buyer, so yes there is a handling charge.

In the event that I overcharge by more than $3 (after accounting for my sellers fees I will issue a refund).

Anyone who sells on e-bay knows that between e-Bay and paypal fees it costs nearly 15% of the sale in fees.

Also Clearly in the listing I have my fees stated that I do include a handing fee, will NOT charge more than $3 (less my selling expenses) In this sale I didn't even make my selling expenses back (rarely do I ever, but I do split the cost with the buyer).

Is this unreasonable or in violation of e-Bay policy? Ebay leaves this area a bit gray: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html

How do you ever even break even on an item that sells for less than $12???? I mean listing on e-Bay in the first place is a big gamble unless I begin my listing at the price I paid for the pony, but I have found that they sell quicker (and usually for more, but sometimes less too)

Bottom line is you can't please everyone.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:36:27 AM by ChipsteRJ »

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay user to be cautious of: loves80stoys
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 08:11:51 AM »
They didn't even let you know anything was wrong? Can you get in touch with eBay and work something out with them, because that's ridiculous!

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 08:56:52 AM »
I believe the one neutral that was left most likely can be removed by eBay if you call. She states there was a hole and you clearly have it written out in your description that there is one. The other I am not entirely sure but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Have you tried contacting your buyer at all? Although I am not sure it would do any good at this point.  :huh:
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 06:00:03 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. It sounds like someone who doesnt bother to read descriptions first :huh:    since the flaw is clearly mentioned I would contact ebay about getting the feedback removed. You could also try contacting the buyer with a polite message......  had a similar experience a few years back but my buyer did respond to the message and agreed to revise feedback since she hadnt realised i had mentioned a flaw in the desription and she acknowledged that it was her fault for not reading it properly (I'm not so sure you have the same kind of buyer though TBH :(    ) . I did offer to give her a refund if she returned the pony but she kept it.

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 08:37:15 PM »
Well,I messaged the buyer... we'll see how it goes.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: Revised: Ebay user to be cautious of: loves80stoys
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 07:06:55 AM »
That amount doesn't seen unreasonable to me at all. It's a shipping and handling charge. You're not charging extra fees after the fact, you're just including the cost of doing business into the cost. And over a difference of a couple of dollars? I certainly wouldn't take a seller to task over such a small amount.

However, if it were me, I would consider not wording it that way in your auctions. I would just say something simple like "Shipping cost includes shipping and handling" or something like that and then information about refunds if you go over a certain amount. Because stating that you are charging more to get around ebay fees can ruffle some people the wrong way.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
Honestly, I would build the handling charge into your starting price.  I mean, if it's really only a few dollars, then you're not isolating your entire bidding audience by saying the start price is $8.99 vs $5.99...  True, if you start the auction lower, you'll get more hits on the page and possibly more bids, but does it really make that much of a difference in your sales when it comes down to the winning bid and getting your money? 

Here is where my opinion is rather unpopular and I mean no offense personally but I feel all perspectives should be represented.  :( 

As a buyer, I really don't like when sellers add in costs after the fact.  I understand the point of sales tax at a retail store, as the money belongs to the government - the business owner is only holding it for them, but they are not supposed to be benefiting from it.  However, most of the time, sales tax is not charged on Ebay. 

But a handling fee on Ebay... as a small-business seller, you know how much it will "cost" you to sell an item in terms of your time, packing materials, mileage to the post office. Seriously, after a few dozen sales, you should have a handle on that "cost".  Adding it to the total after the auction is not really cool - I wouldn't accept it from a retail store, and I don't like it on Ebay either.  :(  If I choose to tip my barista for the great coffee, that's MY choice - I am not going to buy coffee from a barista who expects my tip.  Don't force the buyer to "tip" the seller...

If I had been this buyer, I would have also probably left neutral feedback myself,  but I also would not have been silent - I would have sent you a message explaining that Ebay is represented to buyers no different these days from a brick and mortar store, and I expect the same level of service.  If you can't get a handle on your internal expenses of your small business, that is not my problem, and I should not be charged extra money to cover it after the transaction has ended. 

And frankly, announcing this in the auction description would make me sigh heavily, but ultimately choose to NOT bid on the auction in question.  I know I will find the item again, maybe at a higher price, but I won't buy it from a seller who feels that it's unfair of Paypal & Ebay to charge fees that "cut into the profit".  There are LOTS of other sales models - if you want the exposure of Ebay, then that marketplace comes with some costs of business. 

*pony hugs*  Best of luck with your sales, I know my opinion is FAR from the general opinion of the masses who are buying stuff on Ebay, but maybe it will bring a new perspective to your small business.  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 02:26:51 PM »
I have to say I agree with lovesbabysquirmy. When I buy, I expect the shipping cost charged to me to be the cost of shipping the package. Handling charges whether they are for packing materials, eBay fees, or what-have-you should be built into the price of the item. When I receive a package where the shipping on the label is not close to the amount I paid for shipping, I will rate the seller appropriately in feedback (typically in star ratings unless the overcharge is so severe that I feel neutral or negative feedback is deserved). For me, reasonable overcharges are relative to the price of the shipping; if I paid $12 on a $10 parcel that sits better with me than paying $5.50 on a $3 parcel. I also would not necessarily contact a seller before leaving feedback in this sort of matter because I feel that the seller was aware of the difference in price paid vs actual shipping, and if it was truly a mistake an honest seller would have refunded their buyer BEFORE the buyer had to ask for a refund.

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 02:54:10 PM »
Your are not charging a ridiculous amount so do not worry. There is a reason it is called shipping & handling. When i buy off ebay i do look at the shipping i no my prices so can tell when its way too much i can understand a £1 -£2 (varies on product tbh) as you have to take into account PayPal fees, packaging, tape, bubble wrap, petrol, &parking if you have to pay for that, all of that also ebay fees. Which they do actually take a fee off shipping this is why it has to be more otherwise the seller is out of pocket when posting because ebay takes there fee out of postage and the price of the product.
I have noticed a few pony sales which are at 99p from somewhere in Europe and they are charging £12+ (saw a £24 one once) there is no way it costs that much for one pony to the UK unless they are doing signed for (which is about an extra £5) me personal do not want tracking on anything less than the value of £24 just not worth it.

I would ask ebay to remove the feedback as it is unfair the postage is for Handling & Shipping.
And they did not contact you before hand to ask you why shipping is higher than the price.

Hope you can get it sorted out :) :hug:

Lollipop sent from her Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 02:57:25 PM »
I have to say I agree with lovesbabysquirmy. When I buy, I expect the shipping cost charged to me to be the cost of shipping the package. Handling charges whether they are for packing materials, eBay fees, or what-have-you should be built into the price of the item. When I receive a package where the shipping on the label is not close to the amount I paid for shipping, I will rate the seller appropriately in feedback (typically in star ratings unless the overcharge is so severe that I feel neutral or negative feedback is deserved). For me, reasonable overcharges are relative to the price of the shipping; if I paid $12 on a $10 parcel that sits better with me than paying $5.50 on a $3 parcel. I also would not necessarily contact a seller before leaving feedback in this sort of matter because I feel that the seller was aware of the difference in price paid vs actual shipping, and if it was truly a mistake an honest seller would have refunded their buyer BEFORE the buyer had to ask for a refund.

I feel the same way. Even though it's stated in the listing, I still feel the handling costs should be factored into the item pricing.

When I sell on ebay I charge exact shipping, if I happen to overcharge by more than $1, I do refund the difference, shipping costs are expensive enough as it is, without keeping those extra few dollars, not to mention the fact that buyers ding your stars for it.

I do wish you the best of luck with your sales :)

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 03:03:37 PM »
I'm about halfway between. If shipping materials like boxes and bubble wrap are factored into the shipping cost, I'm fine with it. However, if a seller says straight out that they expect the buyer to cover paypal/ebay fees, gas, parking, etc., I'm unlikely to buy from them on principle.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:05:23 PM by Shiromisa »

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Lollipop

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 03:18:22 PM »
£1-£2 wouldn't cover all of that anyway it covers packaging mainly just have to remember ebay do take a fee out of that postage price.

Quote from mum... "if the postage price the seller has quoted is clearly listed when you buy your item you are agreeing to that price" (which is why postage is there listed for you to see, if you are not happy with that postage don't buy from them or contact them and ask why) "if they charge you more money after you have purchased the item, then that is not acceptable at all"
Even if the postage actually turns out to be more you do not ask for more money it isout of order.
We once had a package that we had under quoted by £7 because the postage fees had gone up & prices vary from country to country quite a lot too. But that was our fault so had to suck up & deal with it :P

Lollipop

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 03:53:56 PM »
Yep. The fee is included in my shipping fee, which is known before the auction ends.

e-Bay said the price I charged was reasonable and stated, but the feedback stays because it is accurate.

The over charge would not have been so bad had I realized that the PO failed to charge me the tracking as I had asked and I didn't realize it until I was home.

I offered the buyer a 100% refund for the return of ALL items from BOTH listings- they didn't accept the offer, because they KNEW they got a GREAT deal.

Offline Lollipop

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 04:14:38 PM »
Hmm well you can comment on their comment just stating that postage is to cover packaging as well & that you did offer them a full refund. Just something short and friendly :)

Lollipop

Offline ChipsteRJ

• Accessory Genius
  • Classifieds
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 04:36:28 PM »
Hmm well you can comment on their comment just stating that postage is to cover packaging as well & that you did offer them a full refund. Just something short and friendly :)

Already did and they responded back, but I can't respond again. at least she stated what the 2 costs were and to a reasonable person hopefully her comment will make her look like the unreasonable person. regardless she knows she got a great deal despite the cost of shipping- she has been added to my block list so I won't have to deal with her again. She refused to revise her comment.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal