collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did you take backcards/shows/comics into account when you played?  (Read 909 times)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: Did you take backcards/shows/comics into account when you played?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »
I used the backcards and comics to make sure I knew a ponies name. I read the backcards [I think?!] and I read the comics, but the adventures with the ponies were all my own. Continuity and "canon" [lol sorry I really find that word weird in relation to toys] was irrelevant :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 01:11:18 PM »
With the exception of five ponies, all of mine where hand me downs. So minus back cards. And I didn't get the channel that the show aired on. Plus even if I had both of those, I'd have ignored them. And made up my own stories for the ponies. Keeping their names but that's about all I did. Everything else changed.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 04:22:53 PM »
Hm, that's a good point, the storied I made up were still my own, but the characters were based on the show.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »
Yes and no?  :)

I don't remember ever watching the cartoon as a child but I guess I must have at some point because I decided that Wind Whistler was smart.  I didn't know anything about Glory or Raincurl so they didn't have much backstory.

As of now, some of them have backstory based on the series.  Wind Whistler is still smart and Fizzy is bubbly.  But I don't know the backcards as well, so the rest of them get personalities as I see fit.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 06:47:38 AM »
I dunno, though, something in me doubts kids really care about the real names and personalities of their ponies. Most people I've met here have changed names, gender identities, and personalities without a second thought. It seems to really only matter with older fans.

Honestly, it depends on the kid. I never changed names or genders; I was happy with what I got. My problem was, sometimes I wasn't sure what was the individual Pony's name and what was her type/family name! I still call Lovebeam "Colorswirl" because it was so ingrained in my mind that her name was Colorswirl.

As far as personalities, I loved the backcards and boxes and read and re-read their stories. I figured their personalities were like what the cards and boxes said.

I don't think any of my childhood Ponies were on the show. But I only got to see it once because we didn't have cable.

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 06:58:30 AM »
Backcards, yes!  Cotton Candy ate Moondancer's flowers and was cast into a magical sleep a lot of the time. :)

Ha ha!  Yes, Cotton Candy was my first pony and remember being somewhat troubled about the idea of Moondancer putting her into forced hibernation:)

I was very into "canon" and never changed pony names (except in unusual circumstances--for instance, I *had* to change "Lil' Tot" b/c it was so awful).  All my ponies stayed girls--I had no interest in boy ponies (and never wanted a Big Brother pony, even today!).  I remember acting out the first special (Midnight Castle) even though I was missing many of the ponies (and had no sea ponies! Eek!).  I also acted out the story from the "Lost in the Clouds" tape/storybook.  As for the show, I *loved* the Tambelon story and acted that one out quite a bit w/ different ponies than were on the show.  So while yes, I was very invested in getting things "right," I had to make some allowances for not owning every pony ever shown in the books or on TV! :)
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 07:23:09 AM »
I dunno, though, something in me doubts kids really care about the real names and personalities of their ponies. Most people I've met here have changed names, gender identities, and personalities without a second thought. It seems to really only matter with older fans.

Honestly, it depends on the kid. I never changed names or genders; I was happy with what I got. My problem was, sometimes I wasn't sure what was the individual Pony's name and what was her type/family name! I still call Lovebeam "Colorswirl" because it was so ingrained in my mind that her name was Colorswirl.

As far as personalities, I loved the backcards and boxes and read and re-read their stories. I figured their personalities were like what the cards and boxes said.

I don't think any of my childhood Ponies were on the show. But I only got to see it once because we didn't have cable.

True. Mine were kind of the same way, but then again I'm no G3 expert just yet. I think most of the ponies weren't on the show.
Anyone know if Strawberry Swirl was on any of the specials in G3?

I know I did watch "The Runaway Rainbow" quite a bit.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 07:24:55 AM by Katja die Tediz »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2014, 11:12:13 AM »
I kept all the names the same, but I changed genders.  But I didn't really worry about "canon" or think of things as such.  If I liked an idea from the backcards I used it.  But that wasn't because the backcards were "official", it was just because I liked the idea.

Whatever I happened to like best at the moment was the "official" storyline, ha ha!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal