collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hey juicers! Give me your tips  (Read 408 times)

Offline Seachanger

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
Hey juicers! Give me your tips
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:09:14 PM »
I'm totally new to juicing. I could use some advice. What worked for you the best? What are your favorite recipes? Tell me about your experiences!
Thanks devonshireRed for the avi!

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hey juicers! Give me your tips
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 07:20:33 PM »
I did a 3 day juice cleanse recently.  I found being around other people eating was a big bummer for me, also when I went to the gym I had to take it easy.  I'd like to take it up again as a once a day thing but it can get pretty pricey. 

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 08:13:02 PM »
Do you already have one? Stay away from the Jack Lalanne juicer. The thing is a nightmare to clean and there is so much waste. It collects dust in my closet now. I just got a NutriBullet and I love it.

My fav is kale, berries and walnuts. I had that for lunch today, in fact :D I also do romaine if the kale doesn't look so hot, tomato and apple. Pear is nice as a sweetener too. Really, I'm not too picky. Sometimes I just toss whatever I have on hand in there and see what I get :P Made one the other day that consisted of romaine, asparagus, green onions and a plum. It wasn't too bad.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 08:17:10 PM »
You can juice walnuts???

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Rainsong

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 10:29:28 PM »
You can juice walnuts???

The Nutribullet is supposed to take whole items (kale, walnuts, flaxseeds, etc) and reduce them down to a drink, unlike most juicers that leave behind stuff like stems, leaves, and odds and ends...

That said, I'd love more personal-use info on the Nurtibullet. I've pondered getting one to get more veggies into me and my son's diets!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:34:34 PM by Rainsong »

Offline Seachanger

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 06:41:10 AM »
Thanks for the tip on the Nutribullet! I'm still thinking what I'm going to go for. I had no no idea about the walnuts either.  :blink: Those sound like interesting combinations.  :biggrin:

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 06:55:19 AM »
Be warned - the Nutribullet and the average juicer (I use a Breville), while similar in concept actually do different things.  You would NOT want to run nuts, or things with avocado/banana consistency through a normal juicer!

That said, what is your reason for juicing?  Are you looking to fast for detox?  Lose weight?  Just get healthier?  Answering that will determine a LOT about the kind of advice applicable to your situation :)

I juice daily for nutrition purposes and actually could stand to gain a little weight (I have an anxiety disorder that makes keeping healthy weight ON difficult... not as fun as it might sound), so I'm pretty generous with juicing fruits and berries, since I'm not worried so much about the caloric side of things.  My FAVORITE is to juice 2 apples, a handful each of green, black and red grapes, a handful of blueberries (and cranberries, when they're around!) and however many strawberries I think look good that day, lol.  Absolutely delicious!  (Please note again, this is NOT a low cal juice at ALL, so if weight loss is part of your motivation, you probably would want to rethink this one...).  For veggie juices, I usually run through about two servings each of kale and spinach, plus a handful or so of baby carrots.  I've tried adding other things (I've used broccoli in this one before, and it's okay, just not great.  Bell peppers did NOT get along with me in this mix!) but I kind of have that "if it's not broke, don't fix it" mentality.  I'd rather drink my juice and be able to say "It didn't taste like butt!" as opposed to saying "Well, good thing I choked THAT down!"  :)

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 06:59:14 AM »
we don't specifially juice, but we do blend.

Kale
Parsley
frozen fruit (no sugar added)
frozen berries (no sugar added)
an apple
a banana
yoguart -optional for taste
carrots
water.

i think they taste good,

Offline Seachanger

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 07:41:08 AM »
Be warned - the Nutribullet and the average juicer (I use a Breville), while similar in concept actually do different things.  You would NOT want to run nuts, or things with avocado/banana consistency through a normal juicer!

That said, what is your reason for juicing?  Are you looking to fast for detox?  Lose weight?  Just get healthier?  Answering that will determine a LOT about the kind of advice applicable to your situation :)

I juice daily for nutrition purposes and actually could stand to gain a little weight (I have an anxiety disorder that makes keeping healthy weight ON difficult... not as fun as it might sound), so I'm pretty generous with juicing fruits and berries, since I'm not worried so much about the caloric side of things.  My FAVORITE is to juice 2 apples, a handful each of green, black and red grapes, a handful of blueberries (and cranberries, when they're around!) and however many strawberries I think look good that day, lol.  Absolutely delicious!  (Please note again, this is NOT a low cal juice at ALL, so if weight loss is part of your motivation, you probably would want to rethink this one...).  For veggie juices, I usually run through about two servings each of kale and spinach, plus a handful or so of baby carrots.  I've tried adding other things (I've used broccoli in this one before, and it's okay, just not great.  Bell peppers did NOT get along with me in this mix!) but I kind of have that "if it's not broke, don't fix it" mentality.  I'd rather drink my juice and be able to say "It didn't taste like butt!" as opposed to saying "Well, good thing I choked THAT down!"  :)

Thanks for the tips! I'm looking into for nutrition mostly and a little bit for weight loss. I have some baby weight still to lose from my second baby. But I plan on losing that mostly with exercise. I have been making smoothies and other things with a blender for a couple of years but I need something else and want to try juicing. I just need variation. I'm especially interested in green juices and ones with veggies as the main ingredient.

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 08:39:05 AM »
I haven't juiced in forever (and my dietitian is trying to get me to start due to the fact that I cant eat most veg and she thinks bypassing everything will be easier on the stomach)...but ill echo what some of the others have said.  Make sure your juicer can handle certain things or you will burn out the motor <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline duckie

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 08:56:58 AM »
my favourite blended smoothie is banana, soya milk and honey. probably not super healthy but it tastes delicious and is a nice treat if i'm having a rough day.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 09:01:59 AM »
I really love juicing pear-  so yummy!

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 09:08:08 AM »
I did a juice cleanse, but one concoction I cannot stand is Mean Green (kale, celery, cucumber, apple, lemon, ginger). That was not to my liking at all. I'd rather eat them all separately. Well, minus raw ginger. :lol:
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 03:23:30 PM »
Yeah, the NutriBullet is not a regular juicer, sorry I didn't specify. It's pretty much the exact opposite of the Lalanne juicer which is why I wanted to try it. It is awesome though. I use it everyday and you can put anything in it as long as it isn't toxic (like apple seeds).

They list safe foods in the book it comes with plus recipes that use the NutriBullet to its full potential. It calls for a blend of 50% greens, 50% other (veggies, fruits and nuts/seeds) and a liquid. I've only used water in it so far but you can also put almond milk and whatnot in it. One serving amounts to about 20oz of blended goodness. You can control how smooth it is by just blending it longer. I like mine with lots of pulp so I only hold it down for 10 seconds or so.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Seachanger

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 07:10:03 PM »
Yeah, the NutriBullet is not a regular juicer, sorry I didn't specify. It's pretty much the exact opposite of the Lalanne juicer which is why I wanted to try it. It is awesome though. I use it everyday and you can put anything in it as long as it isn't toxic (like apple seeds).

They list safe foods in the book it comes with plus recipes that use the NutriBullet to its full potential. It calls for a blend of 50% greens, 50% other (veggies, fruits and nuts/seeds) and a liquid. I've only used water in it so far but you can also put almond milk and whatnot in it. One serving amounts to about 20oz of blended goodness. You can control how smooth it is by just blending it longer. I like mine with lots of pulp so I only hold it down for 10 seconds or so.
I does sound really nice. Thanks for all the info!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal