collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sculpy clay issues  (Read 240 times)

Offline Shaymin568

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
Sculpy clay issues
« on: February 02, 2014, 10:58:16 AM »
Hey I've been having issues with oven bake clay. Every time I use Polymer oven bake clay, I either melt the clay and fill the kitchen with smoke or almost set the house on fire. I accidentally tried to bake clay that was not meant to be put on a high temperature, because it melted and filled the house with smoke. However last night I used Scuply clay at 275 degrees in the toaster oven (my friend and I used to make stuff with scuply in a toaster oven when we were kids) and the clay got burned, nearly charred and the toaster oven was ruined. I do not know what I am doing wrong, but someone please tell me before I destroy something!  :blush:

DancingPhoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sculpy clay issues
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »
Well first toaster ovens are not the oven they suggest using, it may have worked as a kid but I do NOT suggest using anything but a convection oven for clay (especially if you are putting it on a pony). Along with this, I've only ever baked a G3 pony so other gens may be different.
What type of clay specifically are you using? Super Sculpey is what I used for a long time before switching to Apoxie Sculpt and the directions are on the package for how to bake it properly. Always follow the directions, always.
Does your oven need to be cleaned? There could be things like food or even clay that has fallen and is burning on the walls of the oven. Which rack are you putting your clay on? If it's too close to the heating element at the top it will cook faster and differently than if you were to use the center rack.

If all else fails I suggest trying Apoxie Sculpt. You can order it online in different sizes, and I personally prefer it. It air dries, but only when you mix the two parts together, and it is much stronger and more chip resistant than Sculpey.

Offline PrincessOfDarkness

• Queen of the Zombie Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • my dA
Re: Sculpy clay issues
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 05:52:59 PM »
I've used a toaster oven to cook sculpey - not on a pony -  (because the fumes are gross) and haven't had a problem.

How long you are baking the clay for? I've, once or twice, forgotten about the clay in the oven and had to dash into my kitchen like a crazy lady to pull clay out, but even after cooking for 3 or 4 times the instructed time, I have NEVER burnt, melted or charred clay.

Also, is the oven in Celsius or Fahrenheit? 275F is very, very different temp wise to 275C - maybe your oven is celsius? Sculpey instructions are to bake at 275F - which is 130C. I imagine if you bake it at 275C (which is very VERY hot) it would char, melt, burn and turn to clay puddles.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:56:22 PM by PrincessOfDarkness »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  Never really open for commissions, but can be bribed ;)  :heart: SOOOO much Love to Jupi for my amazing Cupcake Zombie :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal