collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What are my chances?? (Confetti sunfade question)  (Read 675 times)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: What are my chances?? (Confetti sunfade question)
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 01:28:22 PM »
The problem with peroxide baths on ponies is that the colour will often come back. If the pony has a plastic break down which is causing the browning then the peroxide will work to remove the brown staining...but the brown staining will quickly come back as the plastic continues to break down and the chemicals stain the plastic once again. :(
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 01:37:05 PM »
I haven't had a problem with burning because they aren't in the sunlight for very long..2 days at most. Although the effects of the sun are intensified by the peroxide might cause this to happen if you leave it in longer than that. Either way, i made sure to check mine every few hours and rotate with every check :) Rotissery that pony!

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 02:39:04 PM »
It's probably going on 2 or 3 years since I gave my Confetti a peroxide soak and the brown marks haven't come back.  I'm sure it all largely depends on what caused the discoloration in the first place.  I suspect (but don't know for sure) that mine was stained from being exposed to cigarette smoke, and not age spots.  I think the peroxide soaks work very well for things that stain large portions of the ponies' body, such as mildew, smoke, and some types of marker that bleed.  I think standard sunfading works better for things like pen marks and saddle sores.  This is just my experience, it's not very scientific.

I've never personally burnt a pony using peroxide, but I imagine it's possible.  I have had the peroxide simply not work for ponies who would burn using regular sun fading.  Cherry Treats is my best example:

http://mlppreservationproject.com/mycollection6.html#SweetberryPonies

She is covered in red and blue ink marks.  I tried the peroxide since I didn't want to burn her and it really did nothing.  Maybe I just didn't leave her out long enough, I don't know.  I didn't want to leave her out longer because it faded her hair (duh) and I didn't want that to get too bad.  She's one I'm tempted to test Remove-Zit on.

:nerdy:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 02:57:45 PM »
Just wondering - the peroxide bath - does that have any effect on the glitter symbols? I know Oxy Baths are a no go with glitter/metallic symbols. The peroxide doesn't work in the same way?

PandoraFox

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 03:02:33 PM »
Hathorcat is right.
While a peroxide bath will help if the pony is discolored due to plastic breakdown, the yellowing will indeed come back, though it should by all means be just as removable the second time around.

From what I've picked up about the process, many types of plastic contain chemicals to make them fire retardant.
Many of the chemicals used for this back in the day contain bromide atoms in their make up. Normally they're just part of the chemical and no problem at all, but due to aging and sunlight exposure they can end up on their own in the plastic. Bromide, on it's own, is a brown substance, hence the object breaking down will discolor.
Hydrogen peroxide, together with that bromide causes a chemical reaction, which once again binds these loose bromide atoms together with others, removing the discoloration. But unless we find a way to stop the aging process entirely, eventually more breakdown will happen.
http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/
If anyone is interested in the chemistry, these guys have a ton of info on it, as well as a recipe for a very fast acting solution. Though I have NO idea how kind that stuff would be to ponies. 

I've personally not tried peroxide treatment on ponies yet, though I've been successful on other plastics. The hydrogen peroxide hair bleaching cream I've used actually worked on plastics the fluid kind seemed to damage, so I'm hoping to try that and see how it works on ponies at some point. Currently I have no candidates however, and no sun. :/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 03:08:16 PM by PandoraFox »

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 03:02:56 PM »
Just wondering - the peroxide bath - does that have any effect on the glitter symbols? I know Oxy Baths are a no go with glitter/metallic symbols. The peroxide doesn't work in the same way?

So far, I've never had it damage glitter symbols.  It's the only thing I use on ponies with glitter symbols because of this.

Read my disclaimer though:  http://mlppreservationproject.com/restoration.html#Disclaimers

I never make promises!

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 03:45:58 PM »
Yup - as PandoraFox says, the age marks and cancer marks are all a result of bromides in the plastic....boooooo naughty chemicals ruining our ponies. However, if the stains are not a result of a chemical breakdown, as FarDreamer says, then if whitened the stains would not come back as the pony would not be exposed to the same issues.
Loa is my love god!

Offline Gizmo

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 10:52:46 PM »
I have tested 6% H2O2 on a bait Glory and Moondancer using indoor aquatic plant lights, their bodies improved quite a bit however both their hair strips have faded after soaking for about a week. Action figure collectors have warned against using peroxide on purple and blue toys and that obviously applies to pony hair as well although interestingly only the strips were affected, the rest of their hair remained as is and only Glory's silver glitter star wore off but that could be from soaking her for so long

I also would not recommend Remove-Zit for any colored pony except yellow and even then I'd test it out underneath their hooves, I also wouldn't use it unless the pony was in very bad condition to begin with. It's also important to note that Remove-Zit requires Formula 911 afterwards to neutralise it and that also strips paint so it must be handled with care.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2014, 04:36:50 AM »

So far, I've never had it damage glitter symbols.  It's the only thing I use on ponies with glitter symbols because of this.

Read my disclaimer though:  http://mlppreservationproject.com/restoration.html#Disclaimers

I never make promises!

I havent tried the peroxide. You *do* have to be careful with oxycleaning glitter
symbol ponies but its not always a disaster. Just make sure you dont leave them in too long and you rotate them often, and you can usually get away with a clean pony and no glitter damage - but dont try it unless you dont mind much if it goes wrong! ;) 

On the subject of Confetti. I havent attempted to do anything with a US confetti (i dont have a regular US one yet , just peru and UK )  but UK Confetti does sunfade easily without damage  (and yes I've done that myself a number of times since i had an army of them.)  :awake:    you dont really need much sun to sunfade - just natural light (hey I live in the UK - whats sun?!  :blink:  :what:  )  it takes a bit longer than in those countries who are blessed with more sunny weather .   do check on your pony regularly and turn them often if you sunfade. Also cover up hair, eyes, blush, and symbols :relaxed:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline LadyPinwheel

• Pink Punk Unicorn
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • My reality is just different than yours
    • View Profile
    • LadyPinwheel's Pony Realm
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2014, 05:04:19 AM »
Ohhh!! I understand everything now!!!

I got a US confetti in a lot. She is very bait: cut mane, some cancer, but she wasn't very yellow. But I wanted to get her a bit more white, so I put her in the sun for about 6 months! (Spring and summer in Spain) XD She is tanned now!XD

I didn't know Confetti burned in the sun! I've sunfaded other ponies and I had never come across something like this.

I'm going to try and put her in hydrogen peroxide as soon as it gets sunnier here (and find the right size container), so I'll tell you how it goes. ^^

PandoraFox

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2014, 07:06:48 AM »

I got a US confetti in a lot. She is very bait: cut mane, some cancer, but she wasn't very yellow. But I wanted to get her a bit more white, so I put her in the sun for about 6 months! (Spring and summer in Spain) XD She is tanned now!XD

I didn't know Confetti burned in the sun! I've sunfaded other ponies and I had never come across something like this.

I'm going to try and put her in hydrogen peroxide as soon as it gets sunnier here (and find the right size container), so I'll tell you how it goes. ^^

Ooh, that'd be interesting indeed!
I'm very curious to know if ponies that sunburn are in fact, suffering from the bromide problem that peroxide helps to remove.
That might help explain why they're prone to sunburning in the first place. (I think anyways, I fully admit that I'm far from being a chemist or expert on these things.)
Please let us know how it goes!

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 09:12:47 AM »
I have tested 6% H2O2 on a bait Glory and Moondancer using indoor aquatic plant lights, their bodies improved quite a bit however both their hair strips have faded after soaking for about a week. Action figure collectors have warned against using peroxide on purple and blue toys and that obviously applies to pony hair as well although interestingly only the strips were affected, the rest of their hair remained as is and only Glory's silver glitter star wore off but that could be from soaking her for so long

This is why I used petroleum jellly on the mane prior to the peroxide bath...it kept the hair from fading at all! A little smear on the symbols to protect them might be a good idea, too, if you're afraid of them being damaged. I've not had a problem with it affecting paint or sparkles or anything, either, but no guarantees :lol:

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2014, 02:54:41 PM »

I'm very curious to know if ponies that sunburn are in fact, suffering from the bromide problem that peroxide helps to remove.
That might help explain why they're prone to sunburning in the first place. (I think anyways, I fully admit that I'm far from being a chemist or expert on these things.)

The sunburning is due to the bromide - its why the ponies which burn are the ponies most prone to age marks - its all the same source.

I have seen an experiment by another member fading out age marks and it works great - but then the same marks come back as the staining returns.
Loa is my love god!

PandoraFox

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2014, 04:13:28 PM »

The sunburning is due to the bromide - its why the ponies which burn are the ponies most prone to age marks - its all the same source.

I have seen an experiment by another member fading out age marks and it works great - but then the same marks come back as the staining returns.

Was that the severely browned baby Moondancer per chance? She came out fantastic.
I know the issues will come back, I've seen toys yellow even without sunlight, though keeping them out should at least slow it down, but even a temporary fix is better then none. 
Curious though that some ponies seem to contain so much more of the problematic fire retardants then others.
I know it's likely just an accidental thing, but now I'm somehow imagining Hasbro people going over their concept ponies, trying to figure out which ones kids would be most likely to set on fire or something.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2014, 04:19:57 PM »
ROFL - I would love to think that was the reason as well! As it seems most common in certain colours [whites and blues], I would hazard a guess that the speed of break down could simply be due to what is added to the basic manufacture.

Yes it was sd_dreamcrystal's Moondancer. :)

I completely agree a temporary fix is better than nothing at all but its one of those unattainable goals and I do worry that continually exposing a pony to a chemical like that is simply increasing the speed of break down at the same time. But then again for a pony in poor condition perhaps it does not matter.
Loa is my love god!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal