collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Your Pony Spending  (Read 919 times)

Offline Divinisity

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Your Pony Spending
« on: January 31, 2014, 05:23:49 PM »
Has anyone here ever felt uncomfortable with other people knowing what you spent on ponies? I didn't have much experience about it before, but something happened last week that made me wonder.

My story:
Recently I picked up a huge lot that included paradise estate and left it downstairs on the ceramic tiles, because I haven't cleaned it all yet. So there were piles and piles of ponies and accessories and a couple of playsets lying around. I'm not at all shy about my pony collection, so when my mom's friend, a super close friend to the family came over I showed her all the cool new stuff I got. My mom then suddenly decided to tell her the number I spent on these MLP stuff. To me, it's a pretty big number, so I got a little upset with my mom after the friend left.  :blush:

I'm curious if anything like this has ever happened to anyone here, and I hope you have stories to share? C:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Your Pony Spending
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 05:32:51 PM »
Um yes and no. I have had people look at me funny when they know that I collect ponies. But then when they find out how collectable they are they don't say another word. Sometimes they even want to know more about them and were I find them at. Of course I lose them after a few minutes.

Sorry to hear that happened to you.

Offline doxiechic16

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:43:05 PM »
I honestly haven't told anyone how much money I've spent on any of my ponies outside of the collecting community.  Very few people know that I collect and I really wouldn't feel comfortable talking about prices with people who are not fellow collectors.  Even though I'm an adult with my own job and money, I'm sure there are some members of my family who would be like, "You spent all that money on little plastic horses?!?" :shocked:

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 05:43:19 PM »
Only with my husband, even though he tells me repeatedly that he's okay with my collecting! I still get sheepish when I splurge or go on a spree and get a pony in the mail every couple days. XD I've cut back a lot lately.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Jadis4742

• Trade Count: (+124)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • All the shy pose ponies, please!
    • View Profile
    • Pretty Nerdy
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 05:55:14 PM »
I don't even tell ME how much I've spent on ponies! I budget, I bid, I forget, and I don't write any numbers down ever. Deny, deny, deny. It's the only way I can keep my Nirvana pony habit going.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Miss Violet

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Takara ponies wanted!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 06:03:15 PM »
Only my dear husband knows all the numbers!tee-hee ! I don't feel  the need to inform other people outside of "collectors" to know all my pony and dolly bills! :P
Takara ponies wanted!i have Milky and Pinky looking for the other ones! Takara outfits and accessories too!

open for ART COMMISSIONS!

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 07:17:37 PM »
I prefer not to tell anyone, except other collectors. It's my private business how much they are, and I'd rather not have anyone know how much I spend on toys, as wonderful and collectible as they are.

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 08:29:05 PM »
I don't really tell anyone what I spend.  My mom knows I've gotten some good deals because she's the one that's with me when I find ponies at the flea market.  But other than that, I keep the price to myself.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 09:31:43 PM »
I don't tell my BF or parents about the cost of ponies. He doesn't get my having them in the first place and my parents are concerned I'm turning into a crazy pony-obsessed shut-in! It's all unfounded, of course, but the less i talk about them the better. It makes me sad that I can't share something i love so much, and really, the sale of them has given me the ablility to eat some months as well as upkeep on my car and vet bills.
I'm not ashamed of my hobby, it's just easier to trying to explain stuff all the time, so I don't talk about it.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »
I try not to mention how much something I bought cost, unless it was a really good sale to 'justify' it because I'm kinda insecure.

Or, if I spent way too much money, you'll hear about it because my head is on the desk going 'holy creole I just bought a seven hundred dollar ipad oh my god oh my god'

So for ponies, unless it's 'I got a great deal!' I say nothing. Nothing.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 09:39:12 PM »
I don't tell anyone what I really spend. A lot of people feel like they have the right to judge what you spend the money you work for on. No way! I don't want to hear people scolding me like their opinion counts, so that stays secret.  :P

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 10:00:43 PM »
I dunno with my g1's i have had some stupidly lucky good deals and found a lot for good prices.. so over all there's only about 200.00 in that part.. my g3's again .. good deals.. so only about 100.00 there.
my G4's are where i have spent the most.. tho most of them i managed to get at retail..
i had to pay a lot for a few.. minty was 11.00 , ploomette (normal wings) and rainbow flash were both 16.00. just about all the rest were retail.
i got both of my play sets as gifts..
so if i HAD to stick a number on how m uch i paid for my collection.. uhh.. id said.. over all i spent about 500.00 on it or so.
so i dont really feel to bad.
I dont know about others experiances.. but i hope all of you have had good l uck too!

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 10:29:37 PM »
Nobodies business but my own what I spend. So long as I have and am taking care of myself (food,medication,gas money) and my pets needs. There is no reason to go into details or worry.

Oh an iPad. Was doing that over the Summer. Oh gods....I spent how much... Honestly it's been one of the best things I've ever bought myself. The sticker shock kind of got to me at first. 0-o

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 10:52:37 PM »
Oh an iPad. Was doing that over the Summer. Oh gods....I spent how much... Honestly it's been one of the best things I've ever bought myself. The sticker shock kind of got to me at first. 0-o

Yeah, I can say in hours used and joy derived, it's been worth what I paid. But at the time I was all 'ahh! Why did I do that!'

Also, I'll disclose how much I spend on custom ponies, but that's usually just to help people decide who to hire/if they should get one done.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 04:24:35 AM »
For me it really depends who's asking, what's going on at the time (am I supposed to be budgeting and just bought a Nirvana for example) and what I'm feeling like at the time.

Hubby knows most of what I spend but sometimes don't tell him about specific ones - not like a secret, I just don't mention it. We have a certain amount of cash per month to each spend as we please, I'm within that so it's not like I'm keeping things from him, just sometimes don't want to mention a particular purchase if it's quite hefty.

I don't like my parents knowing how much a lot of the ponies cos as I keep saying 'I don't have the money for x, y or z' but then ponies show up in the mail :P I don't put ponies before needs but they have been known to come before decorating the house, for example :silly:

A lot of my friends know how much I've spent on certain ponies and that doesn't bother me at all.

Obviously, collectors know the value of ponies and how much some of them can go for so 99.9% of the time I'm totally comfortable with other collectors knowing what I spend but there is the occasion when, for example, an auction went really high, was watched because the pony was super rare, and then I come along and say I was the one who bought it, because some comments have been "wow that's a lot of money" and the like. If that makes sense?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal