collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 - best glue to use for head peg  (Read 303 times)

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
G4 - best glue to use for head peg
« on: January 31, 2014, 01:27:12 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm working on some g4 customs and was wondering what glue everyone was using once you're ready to put the head back on?

I have made G4 customs already but they were for me and I didn't worry about gluing the head peg back in because I was keeping them.

I'm in the process of making some G4 customs that I might possibly sell and I think to sell them I should glue the peg back in.

So I need some advice on glue and gluing the head/head peg back in once I've finished the custom.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 03:16:03 PM by KarentheUnicorn »
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: G4 - best glue to use for head peg
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 04:14:46 PM »
I just use super glue.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 04:23:55 PM »
I just use super glue.

Couldn't have said it better myself ;)

CarnationTwirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 08:25:44 PM »
Use moderation- once I'd put SO MUCH super glue inside the pony it kinda leaked out through the plastic a bit and I got sort of glued to my pony.
Also, I let it just rest for a day or so after gluing the peg back in before going to the head reattatching part so the bond is really really tight.

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 08:46:54 PM »
Amazing, I was going to ask this same exact question!  But here it is already asked :)

I tried superglue for my first pony, and accidentally glued the head permanently, as in, it would not turn any longer :(   That was my bad.

The next time I tried it, it didn't seem to stick very well.  However, that head had been EXCEPTIONALLY well-glued by the factory and was very difficult to remove!  Maybe that was a factor?  I ended up using tacky glue and so far it is holding but I don't have a lot of faith in it.  :huh:    Has anyone tried anything other than super glue?  Maybe I just need to learn to use it better...

Definitely going to try a G1 pony next! 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 07:28:38 AM »
I recommend the super glue with a brush. I am TERRIBLE with super glue and tend to accidentally glue everything to everything and then everything to me. The little brush sort has helped with that alot. Also, I put the head back on the plug before I put the plug back in the neck.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Alipes

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Custom and Diorama Photo Gallery
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 07:35:47 AM »
I like to use super glue, but more specifically, I like to use the Loctite gel kind, since it doesn't run as much.  I apply it to the inside of the pony, then slide the peg down into place (I always put a little mark on the peg while I'm prepping so I know which direction is the back, makes this part much easier!)  And then I just leave it for a day or two to let it fully cure.  While that's going on I work on rehairing the mane, because usually by the time I'm done with that, things are properly dried.  :lol:

Offline coinoperatedgirl

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I paint stuff.
    • View Profile
    • Coin-Operated Customs
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 07:38:32 AM »
I use superglue as well.  I for neck plugs, I prefer the gel type so that it doesn't run down into the area where the plug doesn't actually touch the inside neck cavity.

Also, I let it just rest for a day or so after gluing the peg back in before going to the head reattatching part so the bond is really really tight.

I put the peg back into the head first, apply the glue to the inside of the body where the plug goes, and then insert the head/plug combo.  The only problem I have with doing it this way is making sure that the plug gets put in before any sculpting gets done, so as not to damage anything when putting the plug back into the head.

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
I guess I'm just totally weird, 'cause I've never had much luck with super glue and now I don't trust it. I usually use Aileene's tacky glue with excellent results. I have to let it sit a couple of days until I'm sure it's 100% dry, but once it is I cannot get it to come off. And I've tried hard to break it. I do wish I could get super glue to work (I've tried several different brands). I'm sure it's faster and easier.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal