collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

The population of your city:

Under 1,000
40 (10.9%)
1,000 - 10,000
60 (16.3%)
10,000 - 50,000
78 (21.3%)
50,000 - 250,000
85 (23.2%)
250,000 - 1 Million
48 (13.1%)
Over 1 Million
56 (15.3%)

Total Members Voted: 284

Author Topic: What is the population of the city you live in?  (Read 3214 times)

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
What is the population of the city you live in?
« on: January 31, 2014, 01:25:00 PM »
Lethbridge is the fourth-largest city in Alberta, and the biggest one in southern Alberta. Its population as of 2011 was 83,517.

I find this size of city agreeable. Not too large, not too small for my tastes. Lots to offer. As a whole, I'm rather content with this town. I've been in both Calgary and Edmonton as a comparison. Calgary ... I imagine it takes awhile to get used to the traffic there but I freely admit I have Mr. Stomper do all the driving when we visit. :dizzy: It's so busy and dense.

Edmonton is large, too, but it felt a little less busy to me. I haven't been there for a few years though. I want to go to the mall again. ^.^ (I assume that anyone who knows anything about Edmonton knows to which mall I refer. LOL)

The previous city I lived in, Whitehorse, is quite small and definitely not dense in comparison. The population is 27,889 and it was a little too small for me. Not as much to offer in terms of stores and suchlike. You can fit the mall into a phone booth (almost!) It's still a good place to live if you love winter and darkness and cold, though. Nice and quiet.

My hometown, Yuma, however, is the largest of these three. 93,064 as of 2010. When I moved away, I think it was smaller than Lethbridge is currently, however, at under 70,000. The size (at the time) was also okay although it seemed to swell during the winter months when the "snowbirds" moved in for a few months to escape the northern winter cold. (I really hope to be a snowbird myself one day, except I will be a native snowbird. LOL) It would probably be a bit of a shock to visit, I imagine, since I've not been there since 2000.

Anyway, that's a lot of rambling! Your turn! What size is your city? Does its size suit you? :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
Re: What is the population of the city you live in?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 01:30:26 PM »
well according to wiki 1000 - 2000 people...........

yet if i take the dog out you would think it was a ghost town   :tumble: (insert tumbleweed smiley... we have no tumbleweed smiley  :shocked:)  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:44:29 PM by cyberunicorn »

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 01:32:01 PM »
Actually, we do. :tumble: :D
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline PrincessStarlily

• Ponyland Historian
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Jeremiah 29:11 - God has a plan for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:35:22 PM »
I live in a BIG city! Currently over 500,000 population...I'm in AZ, about three hours from where you used to live, SDS, and I can totally identify with the snowbird "swell"! It's nice, though, because my grandparents from the East Coast and Midwest get to visit. ^.^

And tumbleweeds! :tumble: Haven't seen a lot lately, but I do remember spotting them in the bigger washes (for those who don't know, "washes" are basically dry riverbeds here in AZ that fill up with water to some degree with the monsoon and winter rains).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:38:56 PM by PrincessStarlily »

Thanks to Storm.Runner for my avatar and SDS for my sig!
Painted LaceMelody RoseJuniper JoyStarlily

Offline Dorothy Rose

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 01:37:23 PM »
As of 2012, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma had nearly 600,000 people.  I moved here from a house that was located next to the cows in between two towns with a populations of 211 and 1055.

As for whether it suits me, yes and no.  So long as I stay off of the major interstates and away from the inner city and any buildings over three stories tall, it suits me quite fine.  I love all the shopping possibilities and the convenience, but I absolutely hate inner city traffic and abhor the parking!  I won't do it!!!  But the outskirts of the city, where I actually live, is perfect.  Lots of great shopping options with actual parking lots and a bit of country farming fields just a few minutes away.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 01:54:34 PM by Dorothy Rose »

Dorothy Rose
Want List

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 01:40:44 PM »
My history of living in population! I'm clearly a big city girl.

Hometown and currently living: Pasadena, California with 137,122 people. Stone's throw away from the over 3,000,000 people in Los Angeles.
College: Tiny college town with 36,812 people
Study abroad 1: Nishi-Tokyo, Tokyo, Tokyo Prefecture, Japan with 197,366 people*
Study abroad 2: Morioka, Iwate Prefecture, Japan with 300,740

Weirdly enough even though Morioka is a little over double the population of Pasadena, Morioka still feels more homey. And I lived in the busiest part of the city. I'll be applying to go back to Morioka (first round of applications I didn't make it) and I hope I get there. It's my second home and has a very special place in my heart. I'll have to share all my pictures of Japan with you guys some time.

* Tokyo is weird. It's pretty much 23 mini cities called "wards" crammed together and collectively called Tokyo. Each ward is treated as a municipal city. I've lived in both Nishi-Tokyo and Shinjuku.

Duster reference]

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 01:43:14 PM »
Actually, we do. :tumble: :D

how did I miss that one ...  :blush: thank you sds

the last (and my first) tumbleweed I saw was up to my knee and to say I was on a 15.3hh horse at the time that is saying something

Offline Hervoyel

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toy Box Revenge
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 01:46:43 PM »
I live in the DC metro area, which has a population of around 5.5 million (I'm specifically in Arlington, which is around a quarter of a million).

I'm from Canada though - I moved here three months ago from the Hamilton, Ontario (population just under three-quarters of a million) and prior to that lived in Calgary, Alberta (population just over a million) and before that, Toronto (metro population around 5.5 million).

I prefer larger cities - more options for entertainment and activities, and usually less need to drive.

Blog

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 01:47:24 PM »
Currently, I live in London, UK.

Yeah. I'm gonna go with the 'lots' of people.

Offline PrincessStarlily

• Ponyland Historian
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Jeremiah 29:11 - God has a plan for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 01:48:24 PM »
the last (and my first) tumbleweed I saw was up to my knee and to say I was on a 15.3hh horse at the time that is saying something

That IS impressive! :crazy: The ones I've seen while horseback riding in washes were also large, but I couldn't measure them because they were in a large, pond-sized pit. :shrug:

Thanks to Storm.Runner for my avatar and SDS for my sig!
Painted LaceMelody RoseJuniper JoyStarlily

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 01:52:13 PM »

Lucky. Although I tell my husband who is from Brighton that I'm not sure I'd want to live in London-- or at least central London because I'm afraid it would become commonplace. I've only been in London on separate occasions less than a handful of times and I never want to stop being enthralled and enchanted by it. Say hi to Camden for me.

Madison has just under 250,000. Not a massive city by global standards, but I come from Eau Claire originally, which is just over 60,000. To me, Madison feels MASSIVE. Add in the fact that it's very hip and liberal, and it becomes a sort of warm, cozy nest in the middle of the Midwest that I'm very happy with.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »

Lucky. Although I tell my husband who is from Brighton that I'm not sure I'd want to live in London-- or at least central London because I'm afraid it would become commonplace. I've only been in London on separate occasions less than a handful of times and I never want to stop being enthralled and enchanted by it. Say hi to Camden for me.

Madison has just under 250,000. Not a massive city by global standards, but I come from Eau Claire originally, which is just over 60,000. To me, Madison feels MASSIVE. Add in the fact that it's very hip and liberal, and it becomes a sort of warm, cozy nest in the middle of the Midwest that I'm very happy with.

I am from Portugal, from a city that has around 237,584 people...

Basically, London has around as much people as the whole country, probably more at this time.

Yes. I am SO not used to this much people. And I've been here for about 3 years.

D:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:01:42 PM by Sonata »

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 02:03:08 PM »
According to Wiki, the town I live in has 55,273 :)

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 02:07:55 PM »
My city is about 40,000 people but we live in "The Portland Metro Area" close to several cities including Portland which has 600,000. I love living in a smaller community (ha! smaller.) but near enough that I can shop in the city.

London?! sigh... (Wiki says over 8 million)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 02:10:14 PM by Salli »

Offline summerday

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Thanks Brightberry for my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 02:21:25 PM »
Houston just melds into the suburbs. I'm technically in Cypress. Wiki says there were 122,803 in 2010, but I KNOW it's grown a lot. Traffic has gotten much worse. Houston is 2,160,821 (4th U.S.). I grew up in a town of about 2,000. There are pros and cons to both. There's never a shortage of things to do here, but it could take a while to get there. I'm on thievery outskirts and downtown is about 40 minutes away, without traffic. Things are pretty spread out, because Houstonwas built for the automobile in mind. But, I do miss the slow pace of back home. I just think I'd get bored pretty quickly.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal