collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Childhood Pony Stories  (Read 730 times)

tinyblondie

• Trade Count: (0)
Childhood Pony Stories
« on: January 26, 2014, 04:27:33 PM »
Anyone have any cute stories about ponies from when they were little? I'd love to hear them! I'll start off:

When the first of the new Transformers movies came out I begged my older brother and my Mum to take me to see it, just because I'd spotted a Pinkie Pie plush in the trailer.

I bought that same plush today!

Now can I hear some of your stories?

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Childhood Pony Stories
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 04:38:56 PM »
lol, I feel OLD now.

Um, I remember getting my first pony (Parasol) in my Easter basket went I was little. Then I won $5 in the egg hunt and bought Windy. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Emberfly

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I Want to Sticker the World!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 04:46:07 PM »
I lived in a small town growing up and we'd travel to the nearest city often, it was an hour away.  One day my parents were picking something up at Safeway so my sister and I stayed in the car.  I was playing with Firefly on top of the car.  We were halfway home when I realized that I left her there!  I was so upset but I knew it was my fault since I didn't take care of my toys.  I'm sure my parents were sympathitic but also realistic about it.  Anyway, when we got home, I checked on top of the car, and there was my dear Firefly, stuck in the roof rack.  She made the entire hour drive on the highway safe and sound.  My little pony miracle. ^.^
Thank you to SquarePeg for my beautiful avi.

Offline Baby_Ponies2014

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Hear now the words of the Great Mother, who of...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 04:53:10 PM »
When the worlds biggest tea party was still going around, my dad was given two tickets from our neighbor (who works at the local news station so she gets free tickets to stuff all the time). My dad was going to take my sister, but I wanted to go SO badly, but was to scared to say anything. So when my sister came back with her little paper tea cup, I had a hard time hiding my envy.
There is always another rainbow, somewhere 'round the bend

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 05:15:33 PM »
When I was 4 we were going to England (from Canada) to visit relatives (everyone lives over there). My mum had bought Skydancer for me but used it to bribe me to behave during the 3+ hour wait at the airport. When we were finally on the plane, I got to open her. I spent the entire plane ride playing with her. That's my first pony memory. I was so happy to find her at my parents' and fix her up all pretty:

Offline ajmeier55

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 05:22:58 PM »
When I was growing up my mom liked to play bingo but she didn't get to go very often as we lived on a farm 60 miles away. One time  she was in the city getting groceries and she wanted to play bingo so to get me to sit quietly she bribed me with a pony and that is how I got Princess Dawn. And I didn't mind a bit sitting there that long. :) In Fact If I would have gotten a pony everytime I would have gone with her alot more often lol

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 05:24:02 PM »
I fist encountered ponies when I was about 4 I think and I got to play with a bunch of them all summer at some daycare center, and that was the first time I ever saw them. I will say I got a twins play set for Christmas and all that remains are the ponies. I also got minty one year and the birthday set as well.

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 05:31:30 PM »
Oooh, I love threads like this! *settles in to stalk thread* :pizza:

*pulls out boring stories I've told a few times already*

I got a bunch of G1s before I can remember, they they must have been from a yard sale or something. (This was early 1990s.) They were sticky with spilled soda or something, the entire time we owned them. And because I was a child it never occurred to me that, you know, maybe we could wash them?   :lol: I just never played with the sticky ones. (I send an apology to Pillow Talk, 4-Speed and Cotton Candy!)

My brother would play ponies with me, too, but he always had to have Tap Dancer, because she became a helicopter.  :biggrin:

We both loved the Rescue at Midnight Mountain Special. For some reason, we thought the part where Scorpan tears the prison door off of the wall was the funniest dang thing in the world, and we reenacted the scene with couch cushions.
I'll put something here some time

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 07:11:32 PM »
Oooh, I love threads like this! *settles in to stalk thread* :pizza:

Me too! I love reminiscing. :)

My brother would play ponies with me, too, but he always had to have Tap Dancer, because she became a helicopter.  :biggrin:

Bwahaha! My sister and I would call Tap Dancer "Helicopter Pony" and have her fly around, too!

We both loved the Rescue at Midnight Mountain Special. For some reason, we thought the part where Scorpan tears the prison door off of the wall was the funniest dang thing in the world, and we reenacted the scene with couch cushions.

I loved that special when I was little (and still do). I have a lot of great pony memories, but I think one in particular is when after school my mom asked if my sister and I would want a pony playset that she had found in a thrift store. We said yes, and went to a thrift store to get it. (This was in the 90s. Most of my ponies were secondhand because I was born a little late in the G1 MLP run.) It was the Lullabye Nursery, and inside were Baby Firefly, Baby Tiddlywinks, and Baby Cuddles, and her baby buggy and most of the nursery accessories. At the register, I found a Baby Surprise in a bucket and we got her, too. I was surprised, since I hadn't known there were babies who matched their moms exactly, and it was obvious to me, already owning (movie version) Firefly and Surprise, that they had found new daughters.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 07:12:44 PM »
I lived in a small town growing up and we'd travel to the nearest city often, it was an hour away.  One day my parents were picking something up at Safeway so my sister and I stayed in the car.  I was playing with Firefly on top of the car.  We were halfway home when I realized that I left her there!  I was so upset but I knew it was my fault since I didn't take care of my toys.  I'm sure my parents were sympathitic but also realistic about it.  Anyway, when we got home, I checked on top of the car, and there was my dear Firefly, stuck in the roof rack.  She made the entire hour drive on the highway safe and sound.  My little pony miracle. ^.^

That's an amazing story.

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 07:30:54 PM »
Love these threads.

I can't think of any super great stories.

I remember eating lots of Rice Krispies to get that Christmas baby pony! :D

I also remember loving to watch Escape from Katrina, it was my favorite. I built a nursery and costumes for all the baby ponies I had (which were not the ones from the film, when I was younger I had no idea they even made them for real) and reenacted the scenes.
~Foxtale~

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 11:39:12 PM »
Awwww, cute stories everyone! Especially the Firefly-on-roof-top, tooo cute <3

Here is a part of my childhood-herd. Missing some members though  :cry:

When I was little I enjoyed playing with my ponies a lot. It gave me piece and so they still do today. Me and my friend back then sometimes took one or two of our ponies outside to play with and one day when we were on our way to the playground in the nearby village, I had Whirly coming with me and she was wearning a red scarf I had crochet for her. It wasnt probably a good idea because of her wings you might think but I was a careful child and Whirly never had any accidents while staying in my pocket.
I clearly remember the weather that day. It was windy and rainy, a day in march; it was right after snowmelt. Me and my friend were riding our bikes on the way to the playground when we decided to stop at the nearby stream to see the water rushing. The stream normally was tiny but every year after snowmelt it turned twice as broad as normal and we always had fun watching the tons of water swirling and bubbling. We wanted to cross it on a place we usually had no problems but due to the increase of water we had to jump a little wider and then it happened... Whirly fell out of my pocket and into the stream!!! I was in tears, it was sooooo aweful! Her being one of my very first Hasbro ponies, she was so dear to me and I was thinking I had lost her. We tried to reach her but she was gone within seconds, swallowed by the muddy waters. I was afraid to go home now, afraid of my mother who surely would be angry because I lost my toy, so we stayed for a while longer. We moved on to the playground, the stream was next to it too. While we sat there other kids came to play and suddenly one yelled "I found something in the water!" ... and guess what? It was Whirly!!!! Her hair had been tangled to a stick so she didnt get far! Her scarf was missing and one wing was broken and almost ripped off, but ... I had her back!
When I got home of course my mom was angry about the ruined toy and wanted to throw it away. But I was able to convince her to let me keep the pony and repair it. That was easier said then done. The wings were ruined. One was still attached but the other one barely made it home. My father carefully clipped away the sharp edges when cutting the wing off as there was no way to save it. Whirly lived with one single wing for a while. But ... well... I always thought it looked really bad, so I decided to take the other wing off too. She was looking kinda cute without wings in the end.
When I got older I tried to repair her with wings made of strong plastic foil, decorated with window colors but sadly the colors sticked to the mane and made it all tangled so I had to take them off again.
Then one day, when I had started collecting as an adult, one of the fellow german collectors offered replacement wings for Summer Wing and Windy Wing ponies and made a pair of wonderful repro-wings for my good old Whirly! Sfter many years of being wingless Whirly finally got to fly again! And here she is now, still with me and looking good with her new wings <3 Her mane and tail suffered from her journey in the water a lot so I had to cut the ends back then. She still looks lovely I think :)

Remember my friend from the first story? She was my best friend and I always played with her and our ponies. My favourite childhood pony was Sugar Sweet, the pink unicorn, and I loved every single thing on her. My friend had a Sugar Sweet too, so we decided to let them both marry since hers was a boy and mine was a girl. One day I borrowed her Sugar Sweet to play with both in the evening at home. While I was sitting there with both ponies I was thinking if my friend would recognize her own pony if I swapped their hairstyles and tell her that hers was mine and vice versa. So... I did. *sigh* I still dont feel good about it today. The next day I returned the pony (mine) to her waiting for any sing of recognition, but nothing happened. The very same day we had a bad fight, I dont remember what it was about. Well, she left and we didnt talk to each other for a while. And then, when I wanted to visit her to say sorry ... she was gone! Her family had moved while we were mad at each other and I didnt even know that she was going away. I still ask myself if she herself knew about or not. I never met her again.
So... im left here with her pony... and she hopefully still has mine. But I doubt we will ever meet again.

I also have nice memories when it comes to my childhood with ponies :)
I clearly remember the day I bought Beach Ball from my pocket money! I lived in a very small village back then and the stores which had My Little Pony were far away. One day, when we visited my grandma I begged my parents to go to the store with me (it was near Grandma´s house). So we did and I was able to buy Beach Ball there <3 omg how I enjoyed it when we got outside and her hair immidiately changed!!! :D Gosh it was soooo great! I had read about the color change on the package but I had not imagined it to be that fast and bright. Well, I stood there staring at my pony and it was such a good feeling; I was sooo happy that day.

Oh there are soo many stories I could tell. Ponies in the bathtub, ponies on vacation, ponies in the garden, with my guinea pigs, at school, at my friends house... but it would clearly be too much I guess lol.

Offline LordBlumiere

• keykid in a police box
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • doctor heart stealer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 02:06:29 AM »
Everyone's stories are cute, funny, and awesome! I love hearing about how others' pony childhoods were--it makes me feel like I'm not alone <3 This might be a long post though, be warned!

I remember when our house first got internet (probably back in the late 90s or early aughts), literally the first thing I looked up was My Little Pony... That was how I discovered that my Ivy was part of something much greater that had been around since before I was born :lovey: I remember sitting on the computer as much as I could and reading sites like Lady Minty's, Dream Valley, and this one I can never remember but there was a section about fakies and a fakie rock band! :lol:

I remember getting so excited when I learned about G3 coming. My mom and dad had to listen to me chatter about it a lot, haha! I still remember going to Toys R Us, having saved up a lot of money, and buying Kimono and Cotton Candy's sweet shop all by myself. My mom kept asking me if it was what I really wanted, but I've never regretted it to this day!

I remember two of my friends' ponies very vividly. One of my friends had some G1s, but to me it was a whole bunch. I was so jealous, even though she gave me a few, and I remember when I got a big yellow bucket of ponies at a garage sale trying to figure out who would get what and what ponies to trade! I still kind of regret trading away Yo-Yo (though her wing was a little ripped) and Cha Cha, but I don't regret getting BBE Baby Lickety-Split out of the deal!

My other friend had Up, Up, and Away, and I remember asking her all the time if I could have her. She said no every time, and sometimes I wonder if she still has her. She was never big into ponies, though she would play them with me when we were at my house. I wish I was still in contact with her--that pony needs to be loved!!!

My most vivid memories of playing with my ponies are from acting out pony plays and playing Harry Potter with them (Ivy was always Voldemort). I remember writing out plays on the computer, printing them, and then acting them out all for my own benefit. I had a whole 'theatre troupe' and even a name of the place they performed at! I have to check and see if I ever saved any of them, it might be a good laugh. I remember that fakies were almost as much a part of the herd as real ponies, mainly because I didn't have a lot of 'real' ponies for a long time. I drew on my fakies, but I knew not to draw on my MLP because they were special!

I could go on and on, I've been remembering even more things even as I've been typing this up! I might add more to this thread later ;) Lovely stories everyone, keep 'em coming!

they/them, he/him, xie/xir/xirs
grail: princess silver swirl (original)

tinyblondie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 06:30:08 AM »
These were all so fun to read.

Shadowlark, Skydancers hair looks perfect!

Foxtale, I love all the Pretty Pop's you have in your icon and signature, she is my favorite.

Offline Haruna

• Ninja Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Many thanks to Nence for my beautiful avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 01:21:08 PM »
Aww, Einhornbaby, your story was so sad, but I'm glad there was a happy ending! It's terrible to lose a pony.

I remember when our house first got internet (probably back in the late 90s or early aughts), literally the first thing I looked up was My Little Pony... That was how I discovered that my Ivy was part of something much greater that had been around since before I was born :lovey: I remember sitting on the computer as much as I could and reading sites like Lady Minty's, Dream Valley, and this one I can never remember but there was a section about fakies and a fakie rock band! :lol:

That's about the same time I got into collecting My Little Pony as a collector and not a kid (even though I was still a kid). :) I had seen the G2s in stores and got the toys at McDonalds, and then looked them up on the Internet. I pored over Dream Valley so many times, realizing the G1s I had received secondhand had actual names. Baby Moondancer, Butterscotch, Rosedust . . . I used to call Baby Tappy Jumper (which still makes more sense to me). And I realized for the first time that Chief and Steamer were not girls.  :lol:

I remember Lady Minty's site, too! And Moondancer's Dream. Way back there was also a popular website run by a used called High Queen Tiffany . . . I can't remember what it was called, though; the Ice Palace? One day I was so upset because she took her site down because she was sick of flamers and hecklers.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal