collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: My Peru Lilac Hair Starshine is a REHAIR O_O  (Read 902 times)

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: My Peru Lilac Hair Starshine is a REHAIR O_O
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 02:09:38 AM »
Interesting. Still a lovely pony! Are we considering her a factory rehair then? I know we have seen two of her in the community over the years. Hasn't there been a posey too?
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 10:30:09 PM »
Sorry to hear this!  Yeah, I bought a lilac-haired Peru Cotton Candy recently from a reputable seller.  I considered her something of a risk, and I'm still not sure if her hair is original.  Her head and body have stiffened, so her head REALLY doesn't want to come off, even though it's not sealed.  I'm afraid of damaging her to check.  At least I didn't spend that much on her, but she still wasn't cheap.  I'd be curious to know what you guys thought; I guess it's not too late to return her.  Her hair has sort of an unusual texture; it's a bit cottony, definitely not dollyhair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MY-LITTLE-PONY-Peru-purple-hair-cotton-candy-rare-MLP-/161175165881?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=wxX89nlIDgsoFOhzA5TCUOyRZrc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Tiggums6

• Valkyrie of the Victory
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 01:46:52 AM »
Oh wow she looks really cool, I understand what you mean by "risky" after seeing that lilac Starshine. I have bought some fabulous ponies off that seller in the past, both on ebay and a local auction site, always been a great trade.
Remember kids....don't drink and ebay...

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 04:52:17 AM »
Thank you all so much for for your replies :hug:

I am feeling better about it now :)

I wanted you all to know the truth as soon as I made the discovery about her. That was the most important thing to me.

I know nirvana collecting can very, very risky as we have no real records or official information.

Sorry to hear this!  Yeah, I bought a lilac-haired Peru Cotton Candy recently from a reputable seller.  I considered her something of a risk, and I'm still not sure if her hair is original.  Her head and body have stiffened, so her head REALLY doesn't want to come off, even though it's not sealed.  I'm afraid of damaging her to check.  At least I didn't spend that much on her, but she still wasn't cheap.  I'd be curious to know what you guys thought; I guess it's not too late to return her.  Her hair has sort of an unusual texture; it's a bit cottony, definitely not dollyhair.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MY-LITTLE-PONY-Peru-purple-hair-cotton-candy-rare-MLP-/161175165881?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=wxX89nlIDgsoFOhzA5TCUOyRZrc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

oh! that hair looks *very* similar to Starshine's hair, even the curl in the tail too!

I bought Starshine before nylon hair was easily accessable. The hair is not a colour or texture match for MLP nylon.

My Starshine's head didn't come off easily as she too is rather stiff. May be a hair dryer would help? :)

On another note, I have a Peru Baby Blossom who is rehairedtoo, I knew she was a rehair when I got her and she has the same "burnt ends" on the inside. The lady I bought her off didn't rehair her, she got her that way.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline shelti

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+1687)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 09:56:54 AM »

The seller you bought that pony from is Leaper here at the Arena.  She had quite an extensive collection and was our Argie expert at the old arena.  She is no longer active on the boards as she has been selling off her collection over the last few years.  If the pony is a rehair I am sure she will be surprised.  She would have bought her so many years ago, even before pay pal was around.  It's really sad that so many of these South American Ponies are turning up these days as rehairs.
Shel-t* Ponies

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 10:16:35 AM »
Agreeing with shelti, if she didn't mention it's a rehair then she legitimately did not know. 

That seller is the one I bought my factory rehaired Brazil Peachy from.   :)

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 02:09:51 AM »
Well, that's good to know.  :)

Hmm, what do you guys think?  Probably rehair, or probably original?  Too hard to tell without seeing the weave?

And can we talk about "factory rehairs" a bit?  I still don't understand what it means.  Is it like a "doll hospital" rehair job, not original from time of manufacture?
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 04:48:09 AM »
So...what if both of these are factory rehairs? What if there were doll factory services in other countries? In countries where toys are a luxury item and have to last longer [i.e. not completely disposable as they are in other parts of the world] it would not surprise me if this service was pretty common and more wide spread than we know. We know there was at least one in Brazil [there is one in Portugal which has been about since the 50s] and we have always kind of speculated there may perhaps have been such a service in Argentina. Heck there are doll hospitals in just about every country now a days so why should such a service not have been available in Peru back in the 80s as well? I would assume back in the 80s such businesses would work the same as nowadays; so in addition to fixing people's toys for a fee they also purchased old toys and fixed them up to resell them on.

It just seems odd that so many of these ponies have this same particular shade of purple and are coming out of the same continent. Out of all the colours they could have chosen there are now 3 - one a proven Brazil rehair and 2 others which have been in collector hands for long enough that they are probably not one of the "fake" rehairs - with the same colour of hair and the same type of hair perhaps?

And yes I know...allllll speculation :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 11:50:04 AM »
That's a very good point hathrocat, there may well have been other dolls hospital. The fact there is now at least three ponies with this lilac hair is pointing to something, I'm just not sure what.

In fact I learnt only recently that there was a dolls hospital not far from where I used to live!

I am very curious to find out what Kelly's Cotton Candy is like inside!

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 03:37:07 PM »
I just got my regular old Peru Starshine in the mail today! Her hair is a comforting bird's nest, so there's no worries there.
I'm inclined to angle along the lines of Hathorcat's theory. Perhaps there were differing levels of rehairing for different budgets? Like, a fairly inexpensive rehair would be the lilac, and it would go up from there depending on how many colors you chose? That seems logical to me, but who knows...Nirvanas are notoriously illogical :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal