collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Theory on Origin of Cutie Mark Concept

From natural markings on horses
27 (39.7%)
From ranchers' "branding" symbols
16 (23.5%)
From nowhere,  Bonnie just made the concept up
20 (29.4%)
Something else - comment below
5 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Origin of Cutie Mark Concept?  (Read 1868 times)

Fisha Seabreeze

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Origin of Cutie Mark Concept?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 08:17:59 PM »
Honestly, I think they semi-stole the idea from Care Bears. Care Bears came out in 1981 and their tummy symbols are not dissimilar to a My Little Pony's symbol.

Originally, all first six ponies were going to all have appaloosa spots like Cotton Candy. I think Hasbro changed the idea so that they would be more interesting and to be more of a rival to Care Bears, which MLP was in the 80's.
Makes sense to me. ^.^

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2014, 07:55:53 AM »
Here's one interview, and here's a transcript (or something) of another. Doesn't name names, but it was probably thought up by someone from another marketing group, or else the VP's wife.
This is slightly off topic, but does anyone else like how Bonnie talks in that video?  She actually sounds like she could be an actual relative or something talking to you when you were a child, if that makes sense.  It's kind of cute to me. :)
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »
Looking at not only Cotton Candy but all six ponies released in the first year, it does seem to me that they were trying to mimic appaloosa spots but, as hathor has said, to differentiate the ponies and give them more character, they changed the shape of the spots for each character as well as the color. Cotton Candy has the regular spots, Blue Belle's spots are shaped like stars, Lucky's spots are shaped like clovers, Butterscotch's spots are shaped like butterflies, etc etc.

(Interesting to note here that the original six's names seem to be based on their colors, not on their symbols, which implies the shape of the spots on their rumps originally weren't supposed to be so important. Nowadays the symbol/cutie mark is the basis for most pony's name and character.)

We see that it's not until the second year that the symbols started getting more intricate and Hasbro started moving away from the idea of making the 'spots' on their rumps into different shapes, but instead just went with a picture or a single image to go with the pony, like Firefly's lightning bolts or Glory's shooting star or Sunbeam's sun. But even in Year 2, some of the ponies retained the idea of a scattering of spots shaped like things, such as Twilight's stars, Bowtie's bows and Skydancer's birds.

Edit: I think if the Care Bears were really the inspiration for the MLP's to have symbols on their rumps, they probably would have gone with a single larger image on the rump since the start of the line, rather than using a cluster of smaller shapes on each rump in Year 1, and not moving to a single image until Year 2.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 10:55:47 AM by Dragonflitter »
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 12:20:23 PM »
^ I agree

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 02:35:42 PM »
I think if the Care Bears were really the inspiration for the MLP's to have symbols on their rumps, they probably would have gone with a single larger image on the rump since the start of the line, rather than using a cluster of smaller shapes on each rump in Year 1, and not moving to a single image until Year 2.

You don't have to copy an idea exactly to draw inspiration from something and I would be very surprised if Care Bears was not a factor. I just don't think MLP would be what it is without Care Bears.

I seriously cannot tell if Blue Belle has stars or dots here. 240p. :( But wouldn't it be odd for the first My Little Pony figures to have had only dots, if there was a My Pretty Pony who had hearts?

The My Pretty Pony with hearts was a second release and would have been released after the decision was made.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:37:22 PM by moonflower »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2014, 04:45:04 PM »
Yes the Peachy My Pretty Pony was released after the brown My Pretty Pony which was released accompanied by her "baby" Butterscotch so "rump designs" were already established.

I like that point Dragonflitter - I never really thought of the way the first set are really the only one whose names are more reflective of their colour than their symbols. It makes so much sense and is so obvious when you think it through. Their names obviously were all agreed when every pony still had their spots as symbols. And the symbols were added as an after thought. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline gabumon

• Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 04:59:50 PM »
we need a flow chart info graphic showing the transition from clustered spots to pictorial marks!  XD

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 02:40:18 AM »
All these arguments about natural markings and CB make more sense than branding and making it up.
If only Hasbro would/could confirm it :)

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 02:47:08 AM »
If you look at some of the prototype/catalogue pictures of My Pretty Pony and (I think) the original six, they all had spots on their rumps like Cotton Candy which suggests to me appaloosa. I think maybe the concept came from there and then Bonnie's creativity transformed it into what it became :)

Offline gabumon

• Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 06:45:06 PM »
ok I decided to make up a timeline of cute-mark style. 

Year one:  all had repeated motifs.
Year two: there were a few single symbol marks.
Year two:  no single symbols.
Year four: almost half were single symbol

click for larger pic!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Did I miss anything?  I excluded babies because they seem to be just simpler (less) versions of their adult pony.

Any conclusions we can draw?

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 01:30:26 PM »
Hmmm...I think you could argue a couple of things on symbols - do symbols become more complicated as the years advance? Do they show the pattern of being clusters of repeat symbols early on and then progress to being single large symbols in later years? Yes and no. I think there is enough to support both of those conclusions but at the same time there are enough exceptions that it does not really show a definite pattern.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 02:05:14 PM »
Very interesting diagram :)
If we looks at newer generations, they mostly have a single pictogram. G4 often has 3 repeated pictograms forming a pyramid, though.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 12:35:21 AM »
Honestly, I think they semi-stole the idea from Care Bears. Care Bears came out in 1981 and their tummy symbols are not dissimilar to a My Little Pony's symbol.

Yeah, I think it was a sort of cash-in to the popular "adding symbols according to characteristics" trend that just started out back then. And it's on the ponies' flanks because, well, you usually brand a horse there. Even though the way the ponies get their symbols or "cutie marks" is less inhumane :P

Offline Watercolors

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Collector of G1 and G2!
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 07:11:36 AM »
If anyone wants to see the original black and brown ponies, they're at 2:11 in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Wd0caSZiE

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 07:48:33 AM »

Originally, all first six ponies were going to all have appaloosa spots like Cotton Candy. I think Hasbro changed the idea so that they would be more interesting and to be more of a rival to Care Bears, which MLP was in the 80's.

Right, originally they were all appaloosas.  I didn't realize Care Bears came out in 1981.  That being the case, I agree that it's likely MLP took the concept from them.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal