collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Questions about G1's and other stuff  (Read 255 times)

RarityDash

• Trade Count: (0)
Questions about G1's and other stuff
« on: January 23, 2014, 05:48:12 PM »
Hi! Remember me? I'm the person who posted about starting a collection of G1's in the earlier half of the month. With all of you guys' amazing help, I currently own 4 G1's
So lets start with this.
I had a huge project due today that I have been working on with my friends since September, and my mom thought that the best way to get me to focus was to take my ponies. She literally took my entire collection and shoved it in a box. (except the fakies :satisfied:) I got my ponies back today, and when I picked up Cotton Candy, I noticed something that hadn't been there before.
She rattled.
I am positive it wasn't like that before as I most certainly would of heard it when I gave her a bath and shook excess water out of her hair. I am also pretty sure I could feel the washer through the plastic. Chances are she was in that box in an odd position with something on top of her that managed to slide the washer off.
Unrelated to the rest, my Funko ponies were in a different box since they didn't fit in the first, and when I asked my sister not to mess with my G1's when I took them out she dumped that box on the floor which broke my glitter variant Fluttershy's wing. Sadness. :cry:
Is there anything I should do about the loose tail washer other than don't mess with her too much? Is Fluttershy's wing fixable? Is RarityDash the coolest ever for deciding G1's are the best generation? :biggrin:
I hope this lovely community can answer my questions. :biggrin:
Your newest collector friend, RarityDash

Offline Radha

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
  • It goes ding when there's stuff!
    • View Profile
    • Tactile Memories
Re: Questions about G1's and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:20:02 PM »
  I can't help with the wing issue, I'm afraid- hopefully someone else can come along with some advice.

For Cotton Candy, the washer being loose is only as big a deal as you want it to be, basically.  If you haven't opened up any G1's yet, their tails are clamped together with a small metal clamp and then a washer holds that clamped part inside the pony, which helps keep their tales in.  If those washers get rusty they can break, causing a rattle.  But, the tail can also slip through sometimes anyway, and so again your pony will rattle.

If you didn't notice any signs of rust ( pink/rusty red stain on tail hairs near the hole, etc) her tail washer may have just come loose.  Some collectors do care about that and some don't.  Personally unless I am worried about rust I don't remove the washers and don't usually open a neck seam just to get rid of a rattle.  Other collectors make a good argument, however, that metal will eventually rust and you should remove the washer.  Rust can stain a pony and their hair, so removing already rusty washers is (in my opinion) a must. 

Hope that helps, and sorry your family was rough with your ponies  :hug:

Offline ValeofSpring

• Trade Count: (+90)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 06:21:18 PM »
Hi!  Glad you got your ponies back :)  My only guess re the new rattle (which, yes, is the tail washer) is that the washer was already loose but was stuck down in her foot.  The movement of being put in the box may have dislodged it.  I know you said you thought perhaps you'd felt the washer through the plastic (still attached to the tail), so yes it's possible it was still on, but you usually have to give those tails at least one decent yank (if not some real effort) to get the washer to come loose!
Looking for CF Minty, excellent condition! (and maybe Snuzzle and Blue Belle)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:30:49 AM »
As mentioned, only worry about it if it annoys you. :) I have a couple of ponies who have this issue and because they don't have signs of rust and have factory glued necks - although I don't love the rattle - it doesn't annoy me enough to take the pony's head off to remove. I just make sure to check them regularly to ensure the washer just came off with time rather than due to rust breaking it down.

Unfortunately on Fluttershy, I would guess glue is the best bet :( Do you have a picture of the damage? That may help people with some suggestions.

And YAY!!!! 4 G1s now? Congratulations and welcome to the best generation :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

RarityDash

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:38:26 PM »
Thanks everyone :)
I pulled on her tail a little to see if there was rust where the washer was, and she looks fine. Maybe it was stuck down her foot before and I just imagined feeling the washer or I was confusing it with another pony. She will be left alone for now as I don't want to remove her head to truly check for rust.
My sister felt really bad about Fluttershy and tried to hot glue her wing back on, but it isn't positioned correctly. I hope the glue gun didn't melt the plastic when she did that.
As for today's pony news in my life, I got my G3 Star Catcher in the mail today! I got her because I remember she was my favorite pony when I was little and I broke the wings on mine so that she just had plastic sticks coming out of her back. I might buy other members of my childhood collection back, but they could be in the basement somewhere, I just need to find out where they are and how to get to them.
I guess that ends today's pony update from me, I just love sharing my pony life with people who appreciate it.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 03:17:04 PM »
Always feel free to share :) I know, I love to hear about how much people are enjoying there ponies. :)
Loa is my love god!

RarityDash

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 08:59:17 AM »
Aww, that's great.
In case you didn't see my last thread and are wondering who else I got, here it is. Cotton Candy came with these ponies in a lot of three. Baby Whirly Twirl, who is absolutely perfect with great hair and no marks I can find, and watercolor baby Sealight. Her hair is faded, but it still changes color, but it has the oddest texture. It's really frayed on the bottom and almost feels threadlike. I'm guessing Hasbro had to use a diffferent type of hair for the color change effect, but if I'm wrong, tell me. She also has pink spots on her face and near where her hair comes out. I have seen pictures of purple ponies with pink regrind, so it could be that, but I am new to this, and I am unsure of my guesses.
More updates to the wonderful Arena community! I also have some G1's on ebay I'm eyeing, so number 5 might be on its way!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 03:59:59 PM »
Your watercolour sea pony's hair is normal so nothing to worry about there. As you say, the thermal changing hair is different in order to make it change colour and unfortunately it breaks down over time to a weird cotton texture.
Loa is my love god!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal