collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Taobao - ebay's evil twin  (Read 677 times)

Offline PitterPatter

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Rhinos are just fat unicorns...
    • View Profile
Taobao - ebay's evil twin
« on: January 13, 2014, 05:42:43 AM »
Okay okay, so Ebay has its flaws, but I can take Ebay or leave it, and I'm very aware of how it operates. But Taobao.... it just instills some other-ness in me that drives me to search and buy incase it's gone tomorrow and it turns out to be the super rarest thing in the world or something!
Does anyone else get this?

Sometimes it's like the name Taobao, and the picture, just makes me want to run off and try and find it. It's like... a  fear of missing out or something.

I don't obviously do anything that puts me in difficulties or anything, but especially being in the UK where some things miss us out, theres a paranoia that Taobao may be the only way to get something that I want.

I've managed to get some things that I wouldn't have got so easily elsewhere, for good prices, so I'm pleased with those. Like, I'm really excited for my happy-eyes fashion size girls doing the rounds on the other thread at the moment. But I, like many, have bought other things only for them to be released widely and be like "urgh" >_<

Like I said, everything I buy is sensible, and I am capable of paying etc etc, but I do get frustrated at myself sometimes. lol.

Obviously it's my lack of will power  :P, but I just wondered if anyone else has this love hate relationship with Taobao?? :biggrin:

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
Re: Taobao - ebay's evil twin
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 05:47:24 AM »
I totally get what you are saying, I constantly keep an eye on it in case I find something fun like a Rarilestia or something.

But is this really the right forum for this type of conversation? Wouldn't it go more in the Off Topic forum?

Offline PitterPatter

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 05:51:09 AM »
I wasn't sure which forum to put it in..... coz it's kinda pony pertinent as it's not in regards to buying other things from there, and that need for ponies.... but yeah maybe OT in some respects too. I'm sure someone will move it if it goes elsewhere ^_^

Or a Minty A  ;) (As if!)

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 06:02:30 AM »
I wasn't sure which forum to put it in..... coz it's kinda pony pertinent as it's not in regards to buying other things from there, and that need for ponies.... but yeah maybe OT in some respects too. I'm sure someone will move it if it goes elsewhere ^_^

Or a Minty A  ;) (As if!)

Funny that you would mention Minty A...I have her XD I actually got her from manically watching Taobao ^^;

Offline BlueyBirdy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • Bird horse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:17:18 AM »
Taobao used to be great but since everyone seems to be buying from there these days it's getting harder and harder to find the interesting stuff. Since that SDCC Muffin Pony post was on EQD way-back-when I've noticed that stuff moves a lot faster - heck, I had to leave my first Taobao agent because they were overwhelmed with orders. There are resellers who must spend hundreds of dollars in one go and I just can't compete with that. (Fair game. It's their money and they can do what they want, but I reserve my right to complain. :silly: ) I've also noticed fewer prototypes/factory errors turning up so maybe Hasbro have tightened up product control.

I did get my SDCC Muffin Pony from there for around $50 (sadly she was not the prototype version I wanted but the seller had run out and was using an old photo) as well as a couple of other neat things. It's also a better way to get the harder to find brushables as you're not paying eBay prices.
Formerly known as BluePhoenix

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
I cant decide with taobao if we are seeing less of the factory errors and leaks or if sellers are smarter now and put more product on ebay which combines with the resellers who must pounce on unusual looking items as soon as they are listed.

I can understand the wish to jump on things in case they are never seen again but for me time has shown there is enough of a pattern to tell us if a pony is going to get a release. Its not 100 percent full proof but it means I am happy in knowing who I can skip on taobao and who may be worth ordering. However with so many resellers and collectors ordering, I think its now just about impossible for all bar someone lucky enough to have an open order and spot something as soon as its listed to pick something up. In addition the items which genuinly exist in such small numbers as to be unlikely to be real releases are so sporadic and limited in quantity they are getting hard to spot.

Is taobao ebays evil twin? In some ways its no different than ebay. An auction is for one pony; if thats a rare and hard to find pony, if you dont win it on auction you could be years searching for a new one. Taobao is the same; if you miss the pony it has not vanished into the ether, its with a collector and may very well pop back up for sale in the future.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 03:07:57 PM »
I totally do this

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 03:22:39 PM »
taobao much reminds me of the bidding version of aliexpress -> and you donĀ“t need an agent for aliexpress.
is that an alternative for you?
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 12:18:31 AM »

Is taobao ebays evil twin? In some ways its no different than ebay. An auction is for one pony; if thats a rare and hard to find pony, if you dont win it on auction you could be years searching for a new one. Taobao is the same; if you miss the pony it has not vanished into the ether, its with a collector and may very well pop back up for sale in the future.

This is how I feel; so I don't stress!  If I have enough money to wave at someone, eventually they will sell.  :)
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 03:54:50 AM »
I don't have an account or agent, but I love to see the prototypes and neat "error" ponies they make :) I really wish they had stuck with the Minty A design because I could never afford her :lol:

Did anyone ever get one of those translucent Princess Twilight Sparkles? I really wanted one, but I didn't hear anymore about her or if anyone even got one. She's beautiful :)
My Wish List

Offline PitterPatter

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 04:21:48 AM »

Taobao used to be great but since everyone seems to be buying from there these days it's getting harder and harder to find the interesting stuff. Since that SDCC Muffin Pony post was on EQD way-back-when I've noticed that stuff moves a lot faster - heck, I had to leave my first Taobao agent because they were overwhelmed with orders. There are resellers who must spend hundreds of dollars in one go and I just can't compete with that. (Fair game. It's their money and they can do what they want, but I reserve my right to complain. :silly: ) I've also noticed fewer prototypes/factory errors turning up so maybe Hasbro have tightened up product control.

I did get my SDCC Muffin Pony from there for around $50 (sadly she was not the prototype version I wanted but the seller had run out and was using an old photo) as well as a couple of other neat things. It's also a better way to get the harder to find brushables as you're not paying eBay prices.

I cant decide with taobao if we are seeing less of the factory errors and leaks or if sellers are smarter now and put more product on ebay which combines with the resellers who must pounce on unusual looking items as soon as they are listed.

Yeah, most the stuff I see there now (and this is only within a year of looking at it) is often very usual stuff, it's not often I see something really new, or an error.
I too got Muffin face from there, as it was the only way I could really get one at a good price, I already had a parcel of some old error things (DJ Rarity, Pinkie Berry etc) so it was a great opportunity to chuck another one that I've been looking for in.

I think there is something about the "other" that has an impact though, the process of having an agent, is it going to be a one off, is it going to get to me.... it's kinda exciting and I think that probably perpetuates the need to have things. Obviously my title is somewhat tongue-in-cheek as yeah, there is a lot similar to ebay "once it's gone it's gone.... until someone else gets them" but hopefully you kinda get what I'm poking at.

Luckily I am quite a "all and then nothing" buyer in my pony habits, so I've bought a few things from ebay recently, as well as my box that has now been shipped from my agent from China, but I know I'll drop off now for a while so I'll get off the Taobao wagon.... Until that next "ohmigod!!!" moment :lol:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 04:28:11 AM »
I used to be super excited to search through Taobao- hoping for a "Rarestia" or other rare prototype-  but now that so many people shop on Taobao, and given the time delay between when I can make an order and when my agent (on the other side of the world) finally wakes up and can take my order-  the chance of getting something cool or rare has become next to impossible. 

So now it's a bit less exciting- although I do still like to check out the listings to see what may be coming out next.

I did also get super lucky a month or so ago with the giant Alicorn Fluttershy-  but it really was luck.  The seller had run out of giant pinkies (which I was ordering) and asked if I wanted the Giant Alicorn Fluttershy instead (for more $$ of course).  So glad I said yes!

Offline PitterPatter

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 04:42:07 AM »
I used to be super excited to search through Taobao- hoping for a "Rarestia" or other rare prototype-  but now that so many people shop on Taobao, and given the time delay between when I can make an order and when my agent (on the other side of the world) finally wakes up and can take my order-  the chance of getting something cool or rare has become next to impossible. 

So now it's a bit less exciting- although I do still like to check out the listings to see what may be coming out next.

I did also get super lucky a month or so ago with the giant Alicorn Fluttershy-  but it really was luck.  The seller had run out of giant pinkies (which I was ordering) and asked if I wanted the Giant Alicorn Fluttershy instead (for more $$ of course).  So glad I said yes!

I suffer with the time difference too... by the time I wake up my agent is almost done for the day! I have missed the odd thing because of that.

Good luck on the Alicorn Fluttershy! I would have been stoked if that had been offered to me too. I have a Rainbow Power brushable Fluttershy with the old style eyes. I missed her on Taobao but found her on ebay :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal