collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro...I want a divorce :( 30 years of MLP  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro...I want a divorce :( 30 years of MLP
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2014, 09:55:49 AM »
I stand by my assertion that pandering to the collectors wouldn't hurt Hasbro because what the collectors want is what little girls want: more ponies.  I highly doubt a little girl would turn up her nose to any of the G1 ponies in the G4 style because they were G1 ponies.  Bronies might, but bronies can go you know what themselves.

Frankly, I think Hasbro might have drunk too much of the brony Kool Aide.  They're making a lot of money off them right now, but they're far from a stable source of income that will likely disappear after Friendship is Magic ends.

I don't even think Hasbro can be making that much money off that demographic any more, especially now that Funko is providing the show-accurate, solid-haired ponies that a lot of G4 fans wanted. If Hasbro cared so much to make money off that demographic, we should have seen brushables of the other fan favourites by now (Octavia, Dr. Hooves, Bonbon, Spitfire, etc)  :huh:

Well, it seems to be working the other way around. Hasbro is not making much of the "fan favourite" brushables but they sure are putting effort in their mini pony packs. That and we now got a brushable sized Pinkie and Dash with molded manes. Considering that Dr. Whooves, Muffinmare, Octavia and Vinyl Scratch all showed up in the recent mini packs i think it is safe to say that Hasbro is keeping the brony market very much in mind.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2014, 11:49:18 AM »
I can't believe we don't have a brushable Big Mac yet. I mean, how much effort would it have been to put together a favourites set with him, Doctor Whooves, Bon Bon, Golden Harvest, and one or two other popular characters from the cartoon?  There's no pony fan demographic that wouldn't have liked that.  Maybe chuck in a G4 version of Firefly, Surprise, and I dunno, Bow Tie and call it an anniversary pack.

Elf

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2014, 12:22:48 PM »
(I still think we should boycott FIM mini-pony/blind bag ponies.)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »
The problem with bronies and brushables is bronies don't like brushables.  They don't like that the hair isn't like the show.  All they care about is the show and their own fanons.  They actually resent the fact it's tied in with a toy brand.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2014, 01:13:19 PM »
Since I'm so into G2's , I would have loved  the 5 g2 Winged Unicorns ( Copper ,Silver ,Diamond and Golden v1/v2 Glow )made into Alicorn FS Size G4's That would/could be an awesome set
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

gypsyunicorn

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »
30th anniversary and it's year of Horse
Hasbro should do something besides Pinkie pie
a retro remake set with a family would be neat to see with accessories to celebrate the cause!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2014, 02:19:08 PM »
(I still think we should boycott FIM mini-pony/blind bag ponies.)
Agreed :P or anything molded :s even though I have some Funkos, i'm not bat crazy for them  :wacko: just something to fill in the void for lack of brushables...

The problem with bronies and brushables is bronies don't like brushables.  They don't like that the hair isn't like the show.  All they care about is the show and their own fanons.  They actually resent the fact it's tied in with a toy brand.
That sounds like a personal problem they should take care of themselves!  :poke: brushables have been around ever since with a few molded figures here and there, but the majority of the running MLP, brushables dominated. Hasbro don't care about us collectors, they're ignoring our cries for real MLP ponies, and "Hasbrony" only cares about them...
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2014, 03:18:46 PM »
I would've liked to see Hasbro release the previously unreleased Cosmic Ponies for the 30th.  Or one of other items only seen in pictures of the prototype(FT Baby Sundance, the petite sno-cone cottage, etc.)

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2014, 04:55:58 PM »

Well, it seems to be working the other way around. Hasbro is not making much of the "fan favourite" brushables but they sure are putting effort in their mini pony packs. That and we now got a brushable sized Pinkie and Dash with molded manes. Considering that Dr. Whooves, Muffinmare, Octavia and Vinyl Scratch all showed up in the recent mini packs i think it is safe to say that Hasbro is keeping the brony market very much in mind.

I don't think the brony market have had as much of an effect on the amount of blind bags as people think. If you go into any toy aisle these days, a good portion of it is cheap, blind bagged figures (my local supermarket has something like six different types of just Moshi Monsters blind bags, and four or five different non-blind mini figure sets of them). Moshi Monsters seems to be one of the Big Things (or so the amount of shelf-space dedicated to them would imply) at the moment and its primary toys are blind bags and mini-figures, so I think Hasbro is primarily trying to get in on this fad.

So whilst I agree Hasbro are targeting bronies with character selection, I think there would still be a stronger focus on blind bags and mini figures than the brushables even without the brony phenomenon, as that seems to be the "in" kind of toy right now. I don't think the moulded mane Pinkie and Dash count - those likely have no brushable hair because it would get caught in the wheel mechanisms of the toy and break it. Most bronies I know do collect the brushables (though it would seem I've had a rather unique experience of bronies :P ), hence why I thought Hasbro would be pumping out more of their Favourites Collections for them :lol: .

I could, of course, be totally wrong, this is just based my observations in the toy aisles and the ever-growing mountain of small Moshi Monsters in my little sister's bedroom (seriously, I fear one day it might gain sentience...), and my experience of what the "bronies" I know buy and are interested in.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:08:51 PM by CupidStrikes »
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

808pony

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2014, 05:16:56 PM »
I'd want Hasbro to do either one of two things:

1) Release a set of the G1s that inspired Faust to create FiM
2) Release a set of the Mane 6 + Princesses in a G1 style to acknowledge what started it all (wouldn't that be a trip?  With the manga-style eyes but in G1 poses?  They could even do sitting poses…or make a new one, like AJ actually bucking apples if it'd only balance….)

…personally, I'm waiting for them to get the hint and create a boy pony brushable set w/Big McIntosh, Soarin, Dr. Whooves, Comet Tail, Braeburn, Barber Groomsby (just something different), and Prince Blueblood….or King Sombra, that'd be awesome. :art:

Just my humble opinion, though….

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2014, 08:51:42 PM »
I thought Hasbro had lost the molds and rights for a lot of the original G1s. 

TBH besides collectors there isn't as much interest in G1.  They could do a small release but it may not be worth the money to produce these items.  Especially considering this is the first year in a while they still have the Fair / Comic-Con exclusive in stock in a long while.

As bored as I am with G4, my wallet is appreciating this break in mass-pony collection and celebration.

Nah...they havent lost the rights to anything they could not get back again - after all we had the retro 25th Anniversary releases.

Also I am loving the idea of something like an art pony specifically designed just for the anniversary...they could even have done that for the SDCC/Fair pony - I could have coped better if they had at least acknowledged it some how. It almost baffles me that they havent; any toy line, with any manufacturer [including Hasbro] if it survives so long with so many incarnations usually gets some kind of acknowledgement. It is odd. :(
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2014, 09:21:29 PM »
I would've loved to see something like the G1 Birthday pack except it would have one pony from each generation (yes, even G3.5). Think how cute that would be with their little party hats and pin the tail on Spike game etc! *dreams*

As a collector I'm bummed the brushables line has been largely ignored. I like the little collector sets and Blindbags but I love ponies with "real" hair!

Offline Septima Windsong

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2014, 09:35:39 PM »
I like the little collector sets and Blindbags but I love ponies with "real" hair!
So am I! One problem is that brushables are taking too much place on the shelfs instead of BBs :biggrin:

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2014, 10:50:27 PM »
I like the little collector sets and Blindbags but I love ponies with "real" hair!
So am I! One problem is that brushables are taking too much place on the shelfs instead of BBs :biggrin:
That is one of the reasons I stopped collecting BBs. I don't have the space for them with my other ponies! Right now I have about 2 to 3 waves in a bag sitting somewhere because I have no spot for them =/ Hard to believe but it's true...

I honestly don't go into the pony aisle much any more with the lack of anything really new I'm interested in (except to see what Lalaloopsy has to offer with the pony stuff) Hasbro get on track please, even Lalaloopsy has seaponies now!
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2014, 12:13:54 AM »

:blink: that's .....lol really odd.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal