collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Does deflocking Lower re sale value?  (Read 830 times)

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
Re: Does deflocking Lower re sale value?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 06:52:04 PM »
I have a couple of deflocks, I love them.  I also have some that have been left as flocked.  I only like SS when they're super minty.  Also, it's as if there are two styles of SS.  One with thick flocking, and the other with thin and much more transparent flocking; like Crumpet, who looks really nice as an SS.  I have her, and she's perfect and I adore her.  I would like to have her in deflock. 

I have a Buttons I did myself, she came out of a flea market bin, manky and awful and I went to wash her and the flocking started to just SHUCK off, so I kept at it, and she's beautiful now, even if her hair is a little harsh.  Maybe I should do a boil treatment. . .  Hmmm. . .

I also have Truly and Twilight in Deflock.  Yes, I have a Deflocked Twilight.  She is one of my absolute favorites.  She was in *okay* condition for a flocked pony, but still very thin, and missing patches, even if she wasn't too dirty.  Her hair isn't bright pink, nor fantastic, and I have *no* plans to sell her what so ever, so I didn't think I was doing any harm by sending her off to be deflocked.  Truly, I bought as is Deflocked.  I would definitely like a few more of the SS ponies, but only in deflock.  I would take an Angel, deflocked or not, definitely.  :3 

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 11:11:06 PM »
I would absolutely pay more for deflocked ponies! I love them deflocked :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

nollilols

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 11:23:26 PM »
I would pay quite a lot for a deflocked Ribbon or Truly. I don't like so-softs as they are.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 02:23:41 AM »
One of the reasons deflocks probably bring in a fair bit of money is that it's a royal pain to go through that process - you're paying for someone's time and labour, not just the pony.  Add to that it usually takes some very nasty chemicals to get all the glue gunk off them safely (safely for the pony/paint, that is...), it's understandable that collectors would be more willing to shell out some extra dollars than go through that hassle. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

claricesponies

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 05:11:24 AM »
I have seen many deflocks go for a lot of money!

Some collectors want one of each (deflock and non deflock) and do not want to do the work associated with deflocking.

I would NOT deflock a pony unless it is in very bad condition for a SS.....then the fuzz comes off!

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 05:19:32 AM »
I actually have a Cupcake I bought in iffy condition to deflock (since I understand a nss version would be manymonies), but once I saw the list of chemicals needed to do it right, I got cold feet. Really I should just bite the bullet and pay someone to do it...

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2014, 07:21:51 AM »
One of the reasons deflocks probably bring in a fair bit of money is that it's a royal pain to go through that process - you're paying for someone's time and labour, not just the pony.  Add to that it usually takes some very nasty chemicals to get all the glue gunk off them safely (safely for the pony/paint, that is...), it's understandable that collectors would be more willing to shell out some extra dollars than go through that hassle. 

Exactly.  Deflocking is time consuming and expensive.  The fact that most of ALL the good deflockers ONLY charge whereabouts $20 for a deflock is. . .mind boggling.  When I did Buttons, who was certainly an easy deflock and didn't require any chemicals but for some drug store nail polish remover, it took me some 5-6hours to do.  $20 does not even cover the cost of time. . .  I do doll restoration for people and I charge $20 for just a restringing at shows.  I can restring a doll in five minutes or less.  If I do more indepth restorations, it's generally $50 and up.  I charge $35 for face touch ups, and $70 for a full doll touch up service.  A full paint is, well, it's expensive, but it's a skill that I spent a lot of time learning, and I just don't have the room for another set of chemicals to do deflocks.  Especially when I wouldn't be able to even make it worth my time. 

So, in that way, it does make sense that they do cost more, especially where there is a demand for them.  Gosh, I don't know what will happen if I can  find a mangy Crumpet.  I've been on the warpath for Angel for some time now, I keep missing them!

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2014, 09:07:09 AM »
Deflocked ponies are really exciting to me personally. As much as I love SS's, you get used to seeing them looking kind of grungy, yellowed, brownish, stained, or even when minty the flocking is just kind of soft and pale and not drawing to the eye. When you take that flocking off... WOW! Just look at that pony. It never gets old to see the colours underneath really pop, to see a sharper, defined outline to their pose, to see tiny details like their eyelashes and the little molded smile that you don't know you missed seeing until they come back. A deflocked pony who doesn't have a NSS counterpart is like discovering a brand new pony to look at, almost like when you stumble upon a Nirvana version you've never seen before and it shocks you into looking at an old pony in a whole new way.

Literally all my feelings 100% on deflocked ponies. SS, meh. Take off the flocking and it's like finding brand new ponies, so vibrant and beautiful. And I will definitely pay for that. :D

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2014, 10:11:56 AM »
I have no idea what the answer to this is, but I would love to know. Personally I think SS ponies look better deflocked unless the flocking is minty, but that's just me :)

I think so too. Actually, I think they look better de-flocked no matter what! :P LOL

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2014, 05:27:49 AM »
Deflockeds command some good prices because most collectors like their ponies as-is - clean, simple plastics. So Softs are considered gimmicky and while I do love So Softs, it is not everyone's cup of tea. I know of collectors who go all the way out to collect NSS ponies only, and deflockeds are the only way you can attain certain ponies without their flocking such as Ribbon, Lofy, Skippidy Doo...etc. Also, if you noticed the raring pose that Magic Star stands in are only used on So Soft ponies. It was never repeated outside the set. There may be Brazilian replacements, but they're not always in the same pose or breed.

The last set of deflocked So Soft are the pricest because the SS versions are slightly more htf to begin with, so waiting for the occasional deflocked to pop up can sometimes drive people crazy and when people are crazy they pay like crazy too. Normally I can see a SS Twilight or Taffy go for $15-20, but their deflocked versions can go as high as $25-35. However, Bangles seems to be the odd exception. She never goes as high as the others in her set.

I personally must have a deflocked set because they fit in better with the other ponies, and I only keep So Soft versions of ponies I really like.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

Offline MiRaja

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2014, 06:00:51 AM »
Deflockeds command some good prices because most collectors like their ponies as-is - clean, simple plastics. So Softs are considered gimmicky and while I do love So Softs, it is not everyone's cup of tea. I know of collectors who go all the way out to collect NSS ponies only, and deflockeds are the only way you can attain certain ponies without their flocking such as Ribbon, Lofy, Skippidy Doo...etc. Also, if you noticed the raring pose that Magic Star stands in are only used on So Soft ponies. It was never repeated outside the set. There may be Brazilian replacements, but they're not always in the same pose or breed.

The last set of deflocked So Soft are the pricest because the SS versions are slightly more htf to begin with, so waiting for the occasional deflocked to pop up can sometimes drive people crazy and when people are crazy they pay like crazy too. Normally I can see a SS Twilight or Taffy go for $15-20, but their deflocked versions can go as high as $25-35. However, Bangles seems to be the odd exception. She never goes as high as the others in her set.

I personally must have a deflocked set because they fit in better with the other ponies, and I only keep So Soft versions of ponies I really like.

The rearing pose was used in Scandinavia ponies, so there is a NSS Truly and Magic Star, I believe, that came without flocking originally.  There are also some S. American Nirvanas who came in rearing poses, and in alt ponies and those are some truly fantastic ponies.  I know there is a rearing Milky Way, and I would kill for one, just forget what country she is. . .  Maybe Brazil! 

From what I seen, Twilight, flocked and in good condition, still commands a price above $15.  Mine was $25 with bad flocking, and I've seen Twilight alone fetch $40 or more, and if she's in a lot, she'll be the reason the lot climbs from what I can garner.  I haven't seen a lot of Taffy's to gauge lately.  Angel hasn't been commanding a high price lately, but then I've only been seeing her in lots where she's in manky condition.  Which is what I want, I just keep being a :muffin: Pony and missing out. 

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 06:47:07 AM »
The rearing pose was used in Scandinavia ponies, so there is a NSS Truly and Magic Star, I believe, that came without flocking originally.  There are also some S. American Nirvanas who came in rearing poses, and in alt ponies and those are some truly fantastic ponies.  I know there is a rearing Milky Way, and I would kill for one, just forget what country she is. . .  Maybe Brazil! 

Both NSS rearing Magic Star and rearing Milky Way are from Brazil.  :)

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2014, 07:55:10 AM »
Hello and happy new year to all :)

I like to de flock ss ponies in a sorry state. Does this actually lower the re sale value of the ponies in question or will people pay more for a de flock that's been finished to a high standard eg no flock or glue left.
I don't de flock any pony that doesn't need a make over though as I love the fuzzy little darlings :)

On the contrary! A deflocked pony is always worth more than it's flocked counterpart. But only if it's a pony that doesn't already exist as a NSS.

This is because A. That pony doesn't exist without it's flocking and therefore becomes desirable to have in ones collection and B. Deflocking is a very mind numbingly painstaking thing to do perfectly and right and people are willing to pay for that.
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2014, 11:41:48 PM »

Both NSS rearing Magic Star and rearing Milky Way are from Brazil.  :)

Yup the NSS from Scandinavia were Cupcake and Truly, and it's either you pay $20ish for a deflocked or you can pay $100-200 for the 'real' ones....which imo are essentially the same thing as taking the flocking off a SS pony, given small variations, but I am never a picky collector.

While Magic Star and Paradise are similar to the Brazilian version, there's something about the squeaky shiny plastic on Brazillians that bothers me. I still like my deflockeds best because they feel like any other standard American release.

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal