collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So, I'm still kind of awkward about this...  (Read 803 times)

Offline Darkest Absol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
So, I'm still kind of awkward about this...
« on: December 22, 2013, 11:21:03 AM »
I told my family that I like MLP last summer, and they know that I have a small collection of the toys. But the idea of other relatives seeing my herd when they come for Christmas made me a bit nervous, so I put most of the herd in a large tupperware bin under my bed and only kept out Shine Bright Fluttershy, G3.5 Sparkly Starsong, and Glimmer Wings Ploomette with her peacock. There's also a bright pink fakie I keep by my computer. The Tupperware only made my small herd look even smaller, though.  :yikes: Oh well, hopefully I'll get that Target Wisteria and some blind bags for Christmas and they'll join the display ponies.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to LordBlumiere for my sig and brightberry for my avatar!

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
Re: So, I'm still kind of awkward about this...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »
It's fine!  Take it at your own pace!  Sounds like you have a good plan.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 01:40:17 PM »
Sometimes it's hard to be comfortable showing others when you like something as different as my little pony. I find that I'm perfectly happy with people I know knowing all about it, but when I took my travelling pony overseas, I'd get a little embarrassed sometimes of people watching me take photos of her. Not all the time, but just sometimes.

If you feel the need to put some of your ponies away when you have family coming, then do it - eventually you'll figure out your confidence level and you'll get a routine going of who stays out, or do you rotate, or new arrivals only when you have visitors, etc. You might get more confident and eventually have them all out, or maybe you'll keep going as you are, but that's completely up to you, and there's no wrong answer, it's a very personal thing. For me, it's a case of: 'Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind mind don't matter!' But I'm not 100% confident, and I think I'm okay with that!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Darkest Absol

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 01:59:51 PM »
Thanks. I'm just naturally secretive, so it takes a lot of effort to say I like something, and it stays awkward for a while after. Maybe I will set up a rotation of which three ponies get to stay out when family comes. Luckily, my collection is extremely small, so I can put most of them out of sight.

Thanks to LordBlumiere for my sig and brightberry for my avatar!

Offline glory78

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 02:12:41 PM »
Just do whatever makes you most comfortable. It's a hobby. It's supposed to be fun. ;)
Glory78

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 10:29:03 PM »
I'm a bit the same  :biggrin: my Dad knows I collect and knows I went to UK Ponycon, my other half's parents have seen some of my ponies but not really mentioned it, they probably guessed I was a collector after seeing all my MH dolls. I think my friend kind of guesses but never mentions it. And my work mate knows I have a few and that I customize as she commissioned me to make three customs for her.

This year I got a Merry Treats off my penpal and she is standing on top of our fridge next to a card off my penpal and with all the cards we could fit on there behind her. No one has commented on it yet but thats where shes staying for now.

I totally understand the 'awkward' feeling and also if I've hidden my ponies i tend to feel bad after so though there isn't much pony related items outside our bedroom some are on display.
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 11:33:56 PM »
I have been on occasion VERY shy about this. My father and BF have never had a problem with it... Even my boss thinks its cool. (btw boss rocks..he gave me the twilight castle for christmas! :squee:  )
But some of my relatives have in fact deemed it weird because a "Grown" woman likes to collect toys.
Thankfully 99.9% of my girls are in my loft with my TF's and Dolls. And the relatives are only allowed in the downstairs of my house. loft=off limits. Always has been always will be. Last thing i need are some of my  relatives kids getting in here and swallowing some paint or something. EEch.
So I do know how you feel and i know it can be embarassing to get "those" looks.
Just take your time and do what you think you should and i think it'll turn out great!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 12:01:49 AM »
In the long run, for me, I think collecting and this hobby can be most enjoyed when you are comfortable with collecting and when those you love can accept it or at least know about it. But in reality I understand that is not always possible.

So if you prefer your collection to be a personal thing just for you or if you are too nervous or worried about what others will think, then I think you are doing completely the right things. Ponies should be a happy hobby, something to escape to and bring you enjoyment. They should never cause you stress or worry. So you should do whatever it takes for you to be happy and content in your collecting.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Dashy77

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 01:57:30 AM »
I know the feel OP, Especially being a G4 Brony and having a massive wall shelfing unit full of it. No one in my family has seen my collection and I know I'd get fussed & yelled at for the money I've clearly dropped on my collection. Kinda hard to hide a big wall unit >__> Luckily my family never comes to my house, but I dread the day it happens.

Offline Ionn

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Horse Shaped Object Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 03:10:13 AM »
Yes, go with whatever you're comfortable with, as the others said. My family knows I'm a long time Breyer collector, so they know I have a room crammed full of models, but if I get twitchy about them or anyone else coming to visit I just close the door. Watch out if anyone shows any genuine interest in what's behind the door labeled "I'll stop collecting when I'm dead" though! :biggrin:

Delightfully enough, I had all my Funko ponies lined up on the mantel but moved them when it came time to get out the Christmas decor, & what does my dad say as he's helping put up my tree? "Hey, where'd all the little horses go?" "What horses where?" "All the little colored ones from your fireplace. They're neat."  :lol: I think my family may slowly be realizing I've gotten back into MLP.  :cool:

Offline HelloGoodbye

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 09:33:21 AM »
I tend to hide my ponies if I have certain friends over.  My best friend doesn't care, even if she thinks they are quirky, but she is quite tolerant of them.  Everyone in my family knows and is okay with it.  Other than that, though, the ponies get put away.  They are mainly in my bedroom, though, so it is a simple matter of shutting my door and being like "Oh, it is a total mess in my room, let's stay downstairs."  I think once I am out of high school this summer I may be a bit more confident about them, but until I graduate I prefer to keep the fact that I collect ponies on the down low.  People in my school are for the most part really nice, and are used to me and my nerdy obsessions, so I don't think they would be mean to me.  There are some people that might, but they are a minority.  I'd rather avoid any potential issues though, because it is no secret that high schoolers can be catty and mean.   I also keep my cosplay pictures off of my facebook and stuff, because like my pony collection, it is a hobby that I prefer to keep somewhat private outside of certain circles. 

Thanks to Nence for my adoptable!

diamondshy

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 09:55:08 AM »
Yup, you're definitely not alone!  I'm still a bit of a closet collector, even when ponies are only one part of my nerd collections.  Still, I usually keep my favorite blind bags in the coffee table drawer in the living room, but when family comes over things get moved around, so they're banished to my closet for the holidays.

It's kinda weird, though.  I'm totally fine keeping my Twilight plush and Twilight w/ bangs and balloon out on my desk for everyone to see, but god forbid anyone happens to stumble across those twenty blind bags!  Not to mention my comics, funkos, or other ponies, which are hidden under the bed...

I feel like if I had the cash to properly display a few of the nicer ones, it would be a different story.  Maybe one day~

Offline Moony

• The big wolf on campus!
  • Trade Count: (+140)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 11:48:27 AM »
My coworkers and family all know about my obssesion xD Most of my friends do as well! It's sort of hard to hide a 400+ pony collection. I also have tons of merchandise that I have no room for. Definitely take it at your own pace :) The rotation idea sounds great!

Thanks Whippetluv!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2013, 12:05:49 PM »
There is nothing wrong with putting them away. I do find myself sometimes now wanting others to know that I collect ponies and Breyer Horses. I do get some weird looks sometimes and sometimes others will say a few mean things here and there.  You don't have to share everything with everyone. Do what makes you happy and comfortable.  :)

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 01:18:40 PM »
When I started my Collection was in this enclosed piece of furniture meant to encase a TV, it went well for many months ,I would just open it to see the ponies, but after few months the collection expanded a lot,started buying big play sets and soon I was an out of the closet Collector :) ,it takes a while to feel comfortable I must say ,so take it at your own pace :)

I still close sometimes the door to the pony room, like today , there was a pair of technicians from the internet company checking on the service and I just closed the door to the pony room , no need for them to know I have a room full of ponies :)
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal