collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How often do you care for your pony shelves?  (Read 491 times)

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
How often do you care for your pony shelves?
« on: December 07, 2013, 08:13:45 AM »
Well, I saw some dust on my ponies today and decided it's time to take them down and give them all some due attention. I was wondering, how do you all attack this monumental effort? Right now I'm going shelf by shelf and re-documenting the ponies i have (i actually forgot i had some! How does THAT happen!?) Giving them a bit of a brush and guaging who needs some special spa time.
How often do you do this with your ponies? What's the easiest way, and do you have any tips on keeping them clean? Short of spraying them all with Lemon Pledge, i have NO idea how to keep the dust off!!
PS don't worry...I won't spray them with pledge! :lol:

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: How often do you care for your pony shelves?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:44:05 AM »
Well, I don't have an enormous collection but enough to make me cringe at the thought of dusting them all. I've got a glass cabinet that holds most of my collection, of course the ponies collect some dust there too but not nearly as much as those on the open shelves. Unfortunately there's no room for any more ponies in the cabinet, I really should get some additional shelves or another cabinet... :blush:

I usually use a vacuum cleaner to take care of the dust (the part with a brush), I don't know if that sounds like too harsh a treatment to some collectors but it's a pretty gentle yet efficient way to clean them quickly. The minus side is, you also have to comb all their manes afterwards... :D I only do this to my open shelf ponies though, for those in the cabinet it's usually enough to wipe the dust off with my fingers whenever I pick one them up. Any valuable ponies (including customs) would go into the cabinet, although I don't really have any rare/nirvana ponies some Italians aside. I would probably try to be more careful with those...

/ Forgot to answer the actual question :lol: I dust them maybe twice a year. Those in the glass cabinet... never, haha.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 09:00:48 AM by Griffin »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline MANIMAL!

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:50:13 AM »
Almost never. The other day I moved them all off the bureau to dust the bureau, but I didn't have time to do the ponies or the castle :'(

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 12:14:02 PM »
From what i've seen, Manimal, you play with you ponies often enough, dusting isn't necessary! :lol:

Offline shindow

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Derpy's Scrapbook: Collecting Ditsy Doo
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 12:14:58 PM »
I don't dust my collectibles. I really should. If it's something fuzzy or with fabric, though, I keep it in a plastic collector's case so it doesn't get any dust on it. When you live with another long haired girl and two cats, hair and dust pile up quickly, so...
Collecting :muffin: Pony / Ditsy Doo?
Check out her latest releases, news, and reviews at:
www.derpyscrapbook.blogspot.com
- The :muffin: Pony collector expert. And I love My Little Pony Tales. And Muffins.

WrittenEmber

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 01:02:40 PM »
I rarely dust. Anything. It could be a problem, as I live in a very dusty area (the Arizona desert), except that I live in a very tiny house where there just isn't room for anything to sit in one place for very long, and so the dust doesn't get a chance to settle. I have also learned how to hide things so the dust can't get to them. For example, my minifgures live in wall-mounted cases like this:

Some day I will track down nice, wooden display cases with glass fronts to hang on the wall and fill with tiny ponies! (Or, if I can't find them ready-made, perhaps I'll muster up the courage to attempt something like this: http://nubcakes.blogspot.com/2011/10/lego-minifigure-display-cases.html)

Offline Moony

• The big wolf on campus!
  • Trade Count: (+140)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 01:29:24 PM »
I just don't xD Does that make me a bad pony owner? Haha! I really should take them all done and document who I have with the collector's inventory books I bought at the fair :)

Thanks Whippetluv!

Offline Pony Adventures

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • IRL Pony Adventures
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 01:47:07 PM »
I do when I take on the effort to dust my entire home...so not very often.  >_< I do like the cute little hoof marks they leave behind when you pick them up out of the dust.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 05:48:12 PM »
Whenever I move to a new place, they get dusted. Other than that, not often! lol! ;) I tend to move alot though, but I think the longest I went without dusting my ponies was about 2 years.

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Poster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Beeeee fliiiiies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 05:59:53 PM »
This room and everything in it get dusted monthly. Not a lot of dust really accumulates on the ponies themselves, though, possibly on account of a lot of them being picked up and played with and moved about pretty often.

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 06:04:22 PM »
I never directly care for them, but every so often I'll do a reorganise and the shelves will get vacated one by one, wiped down, and then ponies replaced. I tend to handle and touch the ponies themselves a fair bit so I've never noticed any significant dust collecting on them. I guess I'll be a little more paranoid about it now and look for their condition, I've never thought of the pony shelves as potentially dusty terrain before :P

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 07:08:12 PM »
I've done a tiny bit here and there as I see it. I did try to do everything one day but I only dusted and reorganise a single shelf then gave up, it was only about 20 ponies out of 300+... maybe I'll do it once a year, they don't seem that dusty. (in denial *cries*)
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 07:23:10 PM »
Sadly I do not have much room for displaying ponies atm so I move them around a lot and clean each time they move. once they are on a more permanent location I will probably not do it as much lol

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 11:32:03 PM »
I have a pony room and complete collections so dusting is a bit of a mammoth task :P I know I should do it more often but on the last occasion it took 14 hours :faint: and that was just to dust the shelves and wipe the ponies and accessories down quickly.

I try to do it every 6 months...it's normally a yearly thing instead. And I grumble and groan as soon as I do it because its so miserably dusty.

As for preventing it, I have seen people put up clear wrap/vinyl/saran wrap over the front of cabinets so you can still see the ponies and it prevents general dust from collecting.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sarah-Bee

• Alice Cooper's Minion Pony
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 12:54:53 AM »
how do you all attack this monumental effort?

Once.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal