collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Strange holiday traditions you have  (Read 732 times)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Strange holiday traditions you have
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 02:49:09 AM »
We have some traditions but they may change (much to my distaste) this year.

Normally, its open gifts and everyone on my mums side on the 24th in the evening (this is German tradition.  You can imagine me being confused as a kid on why everyone has to wait until the 25th, or the santa is coming on the 24th thing).

Morning of the 24th, I used to help my grandma make these cookie/candy platters that are traditional german.  You made them to give away and to keep.  There IS a name for them but I cant remember.

On the 25th, its usually spending time with my Italian side of the family.  This used to mean nonnas 4 course meal, but shes getting older so we are picking up the workload.

A few things that wont change will still be me doing my annual ornament making and cookie baking.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 02:49:38 AM »
we would say up till midnight or 3:00 am to play mario party , and we were always up at 6:00 am to open stockings.  At my dads house we would listen to Christmas music from the Dr.Demento show. I personally always play werid Al's Christmas at ground zero every Christmas eve.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 04:36:02 AM »
Leaving out cookies for Santa Paws? I dunno....I don't think we have any weird traditions yet....

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 04:48:09 AM »
My hubby and I actually celebrate a Halloween Christmas. We put up a black Christmas tree decorated with skulls (I hunt so they're like deer skulls, fox skulls, bob cat skulls ect) we wrap everything in Halloween themed paper and pray our pumpkins don't rot. (Our tradition is we each select and buy a pumpkin the day AFTER Halloween. We try to choose pumpkins that look the same size. We then keep them on our porch and see who's pumpkin lasts the longest. Last year we had a really warm December so the pumpkins only ended up lasting till about April, but other times they go as long as July and August. We don't carve them so the first pumpkin that rots with an opening is the looser.) So December we try to judge our pumpkins and root for them!

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 05:47:31 AM »
Every year I watch the Nightmare Before Christmas as part of my christmas preparations, sometimes I'll just have it on in the background while wrapping gifts or decorating, sometimes I'll sit down to watch it properly, and some years I do both.

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 07:24:41 AM »
My hubby and I actually celebrate a Halloween Christmas. We put up a black Christmas tree decorated with skulls (I hunt so they're like deer skulls, fox skulls, bob cat skulls ect) we wrap everything in Halloween themed paper and pray our pumpkins don't rot. (Our tradition is we each select and buy a pumpkin the day AFTER Halloween. We try to choose pumpkins that look the same size. We then keep them on our porch and see who's pumpkin lasts the longest. Last year we had a really warm December so the pumpkins only ended up lasting till about April, but other times they go as long as July and August. We don't carve them so the first pumpkin that rots with an opening is the looser.) So December we try to judge our pumpkins and root for them!

Oh my Ra, I am so jealous! It must be so beautiful!!! I could never hunt (I don't even like to be as far away from the city as the suburbs), but how I would love to have all those lovely bones. :lovey: They would be the jewels of my tree too...heck, they'd be on display all year round. XD I'm planning to make lots of tentacles for my spooky tree, and probably get fake bones and other Halloween-type ornaments, but man. I don't think it will measure up to yours. 

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2013, 07:32:35 AM »
Hm.

I guess this is sort of weird.
I eat cold/leftover calamari spaghetti every Christmas morning. It really would not feel like Christmas without it.

I also have family-style Chinese dinner with my husband's family at night time, but that isn't weird to me. His family has been doing so since he was a kid since they owned a restaurant, and it was the one day they could go out to eat.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

kaninchen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 11:30:07 AM »
we have these ornaments made of tinsel, that look an awful lot like kooshballs. little soft spikey balls made of tinsel. there are red ones and silver ones. it was always the tradition that those ornaments went on first.... and not in the traditional manner. while the tree was naked save for lights, we would step three or four feet away and FLING! toss those sparkle-balls onto the tree. they stick!

i've inherited several of these funny tinsel balls since moving out. and it's a tradition mr. kaninchen and i still uphold. first ornaments on the tree....and throw them!

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 12:45:56 PM »
I have my own personal tradition that's a little bit 'out there'.

The minute my I get up, I find the channel that's doing the 24 hours of A Christmas Story, and I park my TV on that for the entire day.

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 01:17:55 PM »
Not something I did but something that was done for me. And one I'll do if I ever have kids. My parents lived in West Germany and parts of the Netherlands for eleven years, while my Dad was stationed over seas in the 1960s.

My Mom brought back a pair of wooden clogs, not the fancy painted ones but real ones. That would have been worn. Anyways on or close to January 6th she would put hay in them. Hidden in the hay was a small gift for me and some candy. There's a story that goes with why she did this, as my Godfather who is Danish grew up doing something similar around Christmas. I loved looking in the shoes each year. :)

It's bee fun reading what everyone does.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »
We bake muffins usually. :D

Thank you valerie :heart:

Offline Rhubarbpie

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »
I buy presents for all my family and friends, including their pets!  I also write cards for the pets too :D

I always put a little bell on the lower branches of my tree - so I can tell when my cat is gonna start climbing :D

My tree is traditional red and gold ornaments except my pink star, in honor of my gran and my aunt's (successful) fight against cancer.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2013, 09:39:51 PM »

This sounds like a fun idea!  I've kept pumpkins well into spring before just to see how long they will last.  A couple times I've thrown them out even though they didn't rot so they may have lasted longer.  It might be fun to do this competition with my husband next year.

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 09:47:43 PM »

This sounds like a fun idea!  I've kept pumpkins well into spring before just to see how long they will last.  A couple times I've thrown them out even though they didn't rot so they may have lasted longer.  It might be fun to do this competition with my husband next year.

It is so much fun! We spent about 45minutes this year picking out our pumpkins. I lost last year and my pumpkin gave out a long hiss when  it released gasses. I was the one who had clean them up. Well not this year, my pumpkin is a champ, I've been pep talking her to prep her for the cold months! My hubby will be cleaning pumpkin goo this year for sure!

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 10:28:22 PM »
Ew gross!  Lol, I've made my husband throw out the pumpkins when they've gone sour.  Although he is just as bad as me and sometimes refuses to even help when they are really bad.  My pumpkin, my mess. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal