collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Did you know? (Random Fact time)  (Read 4205 times)

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
Re: Did you know? (Random Fact time)
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2013, 10:01:46 AM »
Naked mole rats (aside from being hideously awesome) have many unique characteristics. They don't suffer from parasites, their incisers grow through their lips so they can keep their moths closed to keep dirt out. They can chew through concrete, can run as fast backward as they can forward, and appear immune to cancer! They also live for incredibly long times...up to 35 years or longer!
They're one of the only known mammals to live collectively as bees and ants do, with a "queen" who uses pheromones to keep other females from becoming sexually mature. When a queen dies, females fight savagely and the winner actually grows extra vertebrae in her back to support her being able to give birth. Being a Queen isn't all birthing and lactating, though...when it's time for bed, she sleeps on top of all her naked friends!
In case you can't tell, I'm addicted to naked mole rat culture...

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »
The life cycle of a cicada lasts up to 17 years. That means every cicada you see is almost two decades old!

Well at least for the 17 year cicada. There are other species of cicadas with shorter life cycle spans. Some as short as two years. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Winter Bones

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2013, 05:36:06 PM »
The life cycle of a cicada lasts up to 17 years. That means every cicada you see is almost two decades old!

Well at least for the 17 year cicada. There are other species of cicadas with shorter life cycle spans. Some as short as two years.

Yeah, I was considering listing species names and exceptions and such but I didn't want to go Full Entomologist on this thread. :P Considering there's not much else to do at the moment, perhaps I shall. Have some more strange bug facts:

The femme fatale isn't exclusive to the silver screen, nature has many variations of the trope in its own right. Of course there are spiders and praying mantids who are known for reproductive cannibalism, or eating their own mates, but did you know that fireflies have a similar ace up their sleeve? Female Photuris fireflies mimic the light patterns of another species, Photinus, to attract their males and chow down on them.

But it goes deeper!
Cornell researchers found that the blood of male Photinus fireflies contain defensive chemicals called lucibufagins, which keep the Phorturis fireflies who eat it safe from predators such as jumping spiders and birds. Talk about eat or be eaten, huh? ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 05:37:48 PM by OneWingChangeling »

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2013, 02:56:08 AM »
I love entomology. Totally cool with me if you post about them!  Love the firefly info. 

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2013, 07:42:07 AM »
Yeah, I was considering listing species names and exceptions and such but I didn't want to go Full Entomologist on this thread.
Can I help you go full entomologist? I'm a mere amateur though (almost went into entomology!)

Leafcutter Ants grow their own food! The leaves they cut and collect are used to grow a fungus the ants eat. This fungus is found nowhere else in the world.

Duster reference]

Offline Winter Bones

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2013, 10:03:07 AM »
I love entomology. Totally cool with me if you post about them!  Love the firefly info.

Oh wow, okay. Strange Bug Facts have gotten me some strange looks at parties in the past so I usually try not to go too deep into them. ^^;

Yeah, I was considering listing species names and exceptions and such but I didn't want to go Full Entomologist on this thread.
Can I help you go full entomologist? I'm a mere amateur though (almost went into entomology!)

Leafcutter Ants grow their own food! The leaves they cut and collect are used to grow a fungus the ants eat. This fungus is found nowhere else in the world.

I'm actually not much of an entomologist offline either to be honest. Probably has something to do with the way I scream and flail like a little girl when approached by anything that flies and stings. Nope nope nope.

Not all fungi are used for good in the insect world, such as the parasitic Cordyceps fungus Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, which infects ants and turns them into zombies. The ants then leave their colonies, clamp onto plant stems with their mandibles (which allows the fungus to maintain an ideal temperature and humidity), and die so that the Cordyceps can emerge and release as many spores as possible. Spooky.

That's like the third ant fact in this thread. Bless you, ants.

clonecommander

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2013, 10:05:17 AM »
Did you know that the dinosaur called Brontosaurus was NOT actually a real species? It was finally realized in the 1980s that it was an Apatosaurus skeleton with a Camarasaurus skull! Only 2 Apatosaurus skulls have been found to date.

Offline Cate_Dartfinger

• Queen of the Forest
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2013, 10:10:13 AM »
Did you know that the dinosaur called Brontosaurus was NOT actually a real species? It was finally realized in the 1980s that it was an Apatosaurus skeleton with a Camarasaurus skull! Only 2 Apatosaurus skulls have been found to date.

My whole childhood was a lie! *shakes fist*

Did you guys know that the human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet!

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2013, 10:55:20 AM »

My whole childhood was a lie! *shakes fist*

Did you guys know that the human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet!
Sorry about that, she is a bit of a smart one.

Did you know that a woodpecker wraps it tongue  around it brain to keep it intact while pecking at trees looking for food or drilling out holes to live in.
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2013, 11:24:19 AM »

I knew that they were "renamed", but I didn't know why.  Makes sense now. 

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2013, 07:27:35 AM »
Did you know, that the cat is able to rotate it's paw as you'd see when a cat rubs it face but the dog is not? The 'wrist' of a dog is fused.

The pelvis of a frog is able to slide up and down the spine when it jumps?

The term 'blood is thicker than water' is misinterpreted?

It is actually meant to mean 'the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb' which essentially means 'the friends/alliances you make are stronger than the ones you are born into'

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Beachball

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2013, 02:27:53 PM »
In the 80's, Jim Carrey badly wanted to voice Gumby.

I reckon voicing Gumby is on his bucket list. Some year a Gumby film will come out and the green humanoid has Jim's voice. I learned about Jim wanting to voice Gumby from a two inch tall 40-page booklet with some history about Gumby I found at a thrift store. The booklet mentioned that and there was a quote by Jim attached that I shall never forget: "I want to be Gumby, damn it!"
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 05:41:38 PM by Beachball »

My Pokémon Blog: http://pokemontreasury.tumblr.com/

Offline okamigirl64

• Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • "I used to wonder what friendship could be."
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2013, 02:32:39 PM »
Did you know that a typical pencil can write up to 45,000 words or draw a line 35 miles long? (Thank you Cracker Jacks)  :biggrin:

Offline LordBlumiere

• keykid in a police box
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • doctor heart stealer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2013, 01:42:47 AM »
Did you know you actually have far more senses than the '5 senses' you were taught about in elementary school? Your sense of balance, temperature, pain, and time are just a few others.

they/them, he/him, xie/xir/xirs
grail: princess silver swirl (original)

Offline SeashellnBubbles

• Trade Count: (+170)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Tears are the last refuge of the damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2013, 12:54:26 PM »
Did you know that the average My Little Pony enthusiasts know all about some pretty wacky stuff!?

Here's one...people once bought Narwhal teeth thinking they were unicorn horns, and as such had magical properties associated to them?? The front left incisor tooth is usually the one that grows straight from the face, and has temperature sensitive receptors in it! Make sure you don't brush a narwhal's tooth with Sensodyne :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal