collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Computer help please?  (Read 231 times)

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Computer help please?
« on: November 23, 2013, 01:27:26 AM »
My computer is having start up issues. This started two days ago:

Turn it on, the blue HP logo comes up, but there are rows of black dots running down the screen. Not pixel sized, either - these are almost 1/8" around. It sits there for a bit, then tried going to the windows start up screen. Stays there for maybe a blink, then back to the HP logo it goes, but with fewer rows being solid.

This repeated for a bit on Thursday, then Windows was able to start up and everything worked fine.

Needless to say, I backed up my music and documents. Ironically, thats what I had turned the computer on to do in the first place!

Yesterday, turned the computer on, and its still doing it. I backed up my bookmarks once the computer got into start up.

This morning, it stated doing it, but wound up with the screen back-lit and black. Tried forced restart, and it only did the HP screen once before going black and back-lit.

My brother thinks my hard drive is shot; my boyfriend thinks its the video card, as his compy did something similar. Neither have actually seen the compy doing this. It's worth noting that there was an automatic update to WindowsXP Pro Wednesday night upon shut down - before this started. Thursday I ran Malwarebytes (nothing) and Spybot (2 minor cookies), and yesterday I ran a deep scan with Avast virus scanner (also got nothing).

Thoughts?

Also, please let me know if this should be in WYP instead; it seems so... Minor, compared to whats mormally there.
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Computer help please?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 01:42:30 AM »
Ick! That does not sound good! I hope you can get it fixed!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

High Flutter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 02:51:43 AM »
I know this sounds silly, but first check the video card cables.
I had exactly the same description on my computer - the cable was partly plugged in.  You would think that there would be no picture at all or loss of sync, but these dots and a few jumbled characters/letters appeared.

If that is fine, unplug the monitor cable (from the video card) and power up the monitor by itself (not plugged into anything).  This will tell you if the problem is internal to the monitor or coming from a bad cable or video card.

If it's not there when you push the power button to turn on monitor by itself, and only see it when plugged into computer, unplug the computer tower from everything else, take it outside, open it up and give its internals a good dusting. Really! I mean it. A build up of dust can create signal disruptions over the silicon boards. Tiny conductive paths are created between adjacent circuit board traces (the paths) which aren't enough to create short circuits but are enough to muck around with precisely timed signals.

I used to fix computers, and dusting was the first thing I did. Just don't use vacuum brushes over the circuitry - these can create static which will zap stuff. Not always, depends on the brush composition, but blowing works best.
This is why you take the computer outside - yucky dust clouds to get you coughing. You can use tissues to wipe off dust before blowing if you like. That is safe.

Also, basic static precautions again - when you're rubbing over the computer's sensitive bits, don't wear rubber soled or other insulating shoes (or fuzzy socks which build up static). I always go barefoot, then make sure I'm touching the bare metal of the computer case with my free hand. That means there is no chance of static discharge when touching internal parts as I am already connected to the computer, and cannot hold a charge in my body anyway as I am earthed by going barefoot.

Also, while the computer cover is off, check the cables from the power supply (the thick rainbow coloured wires) and make sure that none of the plastic connectors look discoloured or burnt/charred/slightly melted.

My workhorse computer had instability issues - whenever I pushed it hard and it needed longer periods of 100% CPU power or did hard graphics the computer would freeze.  Turned out the clear plastic plug from the power supply to the motherboard was 1/4 melted!!!
What happened was the power supply had been failing and not delivering enough voltage.  So the motherboard pulled more current to compensate.  More current = more heat.  Enough to melt 1/4 of the plug and eventually blacken the metal contacts to the point where they wouldn't transfer electricity very well.  And so when the computer was pushed hard and needed power it couldn't get enough and froze.

Let's see.... what else.......
Hmmm, that covers the first points.
Let us know if anything helps!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 04:43:50 AM »
Sounds like its either the harddrive, videocard or ram.  Its no virus, its a hardware issue.

Best of luck hun <3

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 08:06:40 AM »
Yeah, agreed that it's definitely hardware.  I hope you figure it out!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 10:49:53 AM »
Well, I called MicroCenter, and the guy I spoke to said was most likely the hard drive, so I bought a new one. But the key boards aren't registering. So I was going to take it out to MicroCenter, but mom figures I should just take over dad's gaming rig.

We think my old comp might be a bust. My brother suddenly recalled that hid computer 4 computers ago did that because the motherboard was shorting out and in turn shorted everything else out - he no sooner backed it up when the magic smoke came out. Only thing he could salvage was the cables. :( So, Mom is going to buy my nee drive from me and we'll put it in her machine. :)

As an added bonus, I no longer have to reinstall and update WindowsXP. Woo! :D
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

High Flutter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 09:35:09 PM »
Ok cool, new hard drive!
Always a nice thing :)

If you're happy with that plan to do the usual "back up all your stuff, then transfer to the new one" then ok.

By sounds of things you're getting your mum's old computer with the new hard drive?

Basic diagnosis of hard drives is easier than ever - anyone can do it.
Just go the the website of the manufacturer and download their own diagnostic software. Run that and it will interrogate & test the drive, giving you fault reports.
I've done "open surgery" on hard drives, but could never really charge what the job was worth (easily $1500+ for the same sterile environment and quality for a single job.... but could someone who has lost their family photos and stuff really afford to do that??  Companies sure.  Ordinary people like you and me?  Err, no.  So it was more like $120 for 12-16 hours of work.

Yeah, yeah I know....
But when you can hear that someone is nearly in tears over the phone because they've lost irreplaceable baby photos (back those things up!!!!!) AND you know that stuff it isn't truly gone, (most likely) what can you do??

Lol, maybe that would be part of the reason I was making no money in the end.
But that was six years ago and I don't work for myself anymore.
Stable, predictable income is much less stressful too!

Far out!  Don't know why I said all that?!
Oh well, help is always on hand in the Arena ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal