collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Scented Pony Help  (Read 428 times)

Offline Bibsy

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Scented Pony Help
« on: November 18, 2013, 07:42:13 AM »
Hi,
I'm fairly new to the forum and collecting (most of my current collection is from my childhood), and was trying to identify/match with accessories the ponies I currently do have, when I came across the fact that Candy Cane ponies are scented ponies.  I knew some ponies were scented, but I missed that fact about Candy Canes (oops!), which is only important since I have Sugar Sweet.  I'd love to scent her, but my problem is what I should scent her as.  All the information I've found says the "ponies are scented like their names and symbols", but I guess it's tough to find a cotton candy or sugar scent that I can use on her.  It got me thinking about other scented ponies, so I put together the (possibly incomplete) list below and hope that you can help fill in some of the question marks-some of them are obvious, but I included them in case I'm wrong.  Maybe some of you are lucky enough to have ponies with lingering scents - the good kind, not smoke  ;)

Also, I'd welcome suggestions on scenting techniques- what scented thing to use (essential oils? scented lotions? something else), since I know some things that work on "normal" pony bodies can discolor scented ponies.

Candy Cane Ponies[/b]
Lemon Treats - lemon
Mint Dreams - mint
Sugar Apple - apple, maybe caramel?
Molasses- ginger/gingerbread?
Sugar Sweet - ?
Caramel Crunch - caramel?  popcorn?

Perfume Puff
Dainty Dahlia - dahlia, I'm guessing
Daisy Sweet - daisy, do daisies really have a smell?
Lavender Lace - lavender
Red Roses - roses
Sweet Lily - lily
Sweet Suds - soap?

Sundae Best
Banana Surprise- banana
CocoBerry - Chocolate?
Crunch Berry - ?
Peppermint Crunch- peppermint, I'm assuming
Sherbert - ?
Swirly Whirly- ?

Sweetberry - these all seem pretty obvious
Cranberry Muffins
Blueberry Baskets
Boysenberry Pie
Cherry Treats
Strawberry Surprise
Raspberry Jam

Any that I'm missing?  Thanks!

Offline moonflower

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • collecting est. 2005
    • View Profile
Re: Scented Pony Help
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 08:37:27 AM »
I know dollyhair.com has hair fragrances if that helps http://www.dollyhair.com/fragrances.htm they have cotton candy and many others that would suit, but they don't have lemon. And it would probably work out quite expensive.

I'd be wary about what you put on your ponies though, some things such as essential oils might stain the plastic.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 08:42:27 AM by moonflower »

Offline Bibsy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 11:17:22 PM »
Thanks so much.  Scenting the hair might be the perfect solution.  I never heard about that before.

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 12:50:42 AM »
A lovely idea, but it's not simple at all to pin down the original scents. Either Hasbro didn't get them "right" (in view of their themes/symbols) or they didn't even try. I'm someone who enjoys scented ponies, especially Perfume Puffs, and have several that still smell, including an absolutely mint Lavender Lace who came to me on a damaged card without a box. She does have a distinct scent, but lavender? Nope. With the authority of someone who knows Provence. :P On the contrary, Red Roses is definitely rose... cheap rose perfume. Sweet Suds is a soapy something. I have a couple of scented Swirly Whirlies, too, but cannot tell for the life of me what they are supposed to smell like.

In sum, if you intend to (re)scent your ponies, my suggestion is to simply pick something you like. Fat chance you're going to reproduce the original scent, unless you're a perfumer.

In the case of Perfume Puffs, the scent seems to lurk in the hair. At least Sweetberry and Sundae Best ponies appear to have scented bodies as well.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:54:35 AM by mul-ta »

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 01:27:02 AM »
I've used the cotton candy scent from Dollyhair to scent a Yum Yum rehair, and it works great! :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Bibsy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 06:06:37 AM »
Reanna-mator It's good to know that the dolly hair scents work, I might try it out after I've cleaned/repaired my collection.

mul-ta Leave it to Hasbro to get the lavender scent wrong :), but it's good to know that I can get a little creative when it comes to scents, particularly since I have no idea what smell Swirly Whirly ought to smell like.

Thanks!

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 08:39:56 AM »
Some people put the ponies in plastic baggies to see if they can intensify their scents....which reminds me I have a minty coco berry with lovely pink hair and a lover Cherry Treats I mean to do this to to see if they still maintain their scents....
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 09:34:23 AM »
I have a quick question to piggyback on this if that's alright. So it seems that when people want to scent a pony they try the hair or body, but is it alright to just get a scented baggy (like you put in draws) and put it inside the pony? It wouldn't damage the pony I assume but then maybe the scent wouldn't be strong enough to smell through the pony? Has anyone tried it?
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Bibsy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 11:38:54 AM »
tulips- I thought of that too or possibly putting something like body lotion on the inside, but I worried about discoloring her.  A baggie made of net is a good idea.

I think I'll try elish's suggestion and put Sugar Sweet in a bag to see if it revives the smell.  She doesn't have any scent now so I figure a former owner may have washed/bathed with her often (since she has quite a bit of tail rust I'm waiting to get some rit to remove), so I'm doubtful that will work, but I'll give it a try since it's free.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 07:52:26 PM »
Are you sure the scent is absolutely gone? The scent is actually in the plastic and what can happen over time is that oil from hands and general dirt and grime can "block" the plastic. With at least half of the scented ponies which have passed through my collection over the years, if they had no scent I found that a proper degrease and in several occasions putting them in a pillow case and leaving them in the sunlight [so no fading is possible but the plastic heats up] releases a lot of the original scent. It may be enough to get you on the right track for the smell.

The back card stories will give you a good idea of what the ponies are "supposed" to smell like [not saying Hasbro got it right in scent but its what they were aiming for]. For example, despite the name Lavender Lace is actually supposed to smell like lilacs!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 08:16:04 PM »
The back card stories will give you a good idea of what the ponies are "supposed" to smell like [not saying Hasbro got it right in scent but its what they were aiming for]. For example, despite the name Lavender Lace is actually supposed to smell like lilacs!

Lilacs? Well... maybe... with a bit of imagination, but def more like them than lavender. :P

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2013, 08:18:40 PM »

Lilacs? Well... maybe... with a bit of imagination, but def more like them than lavender. :P

Oh yeah....a lot of imagination is often needed :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Bibsy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 06:07:15 AM »
Thanks.  I'll give her a good bath and then try the pillowcase/sun method.  Keeping my fingers crossed it will work :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal