collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro Makes it Hard to be an adult MLP Collector  (Read 7370 times)

Offline Draikinator

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Makes it Hard to be an adult MLP Collector
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2013, 11:27:56 PM »
You know what we need? We need a token celebrity.
If we had someone famous with a lot of money and publicity as a MLP collector, Hasbro would be more likely to take notice, and the MLP collecting group would be more likely to grow.

Celebrities we know of who collect MLP:

Beyoncé
Paris Hilton

Okay, that is NOT improving matters...  ;D

Beyonce collects ponies?? I love beyonce! :0 I love her like ten times more now lol.
-Want to buy those squishy Russian "Plush Apple" brand toys, especially the shining armor/cadence set. also the russian chupa chups vinyl scratch.-

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2013, 11:42:39 PM »
If we had someone famous with a lot of money and publicity as a MLP collector, Hasbro would be more likely to take notice, and the MLP collecting group would be more likely to grow.

Beyoncé
Paris Hilton

Beyonce collects ponies?? I love beyonce! :0 I love her like ten times more now lol.

I don't think we need any kind of celeb being a "token" for us. Then it would turn into some crazy fad thing for sheep to do and totally loose meaning. I am sorry but I don't give two schnitzels about what celbs are doing or like. They are people not divine beings and I do not run my life off of what someone wears or clothes they endorse or items they push.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline Draikinator

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2013, 12:12:46 AM »

Beyoncé
Paris Hilton

I don't think we need any kind of celeb being a "token" for us. Then it would turn into some crazy fad thing for sheep to do and totally loose meaning. I am sorry but I don't give two schnitzels about what celbs are doing or like. They are people not divine beings and I do not run my life off of what someone wears or clothes they endorse or items they push.

whoa that was intense.
I just mean Beyonce is cool. She has cool opinions. She has nice music. She's a relatable person who does things I enjoy and I thing it is cool that her and I happen to share a surprising hobby. No one is asking you to care about celebrities.
-Want to buy those squishy Russian "Plush Apple" brand toys, especially the shining armor/cadence set. also the russian chupa chups vinyl scratch.-

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2013, 12:16:15 AM »
Drakinator sorry that was not directed at you. If you relate to Beyonce, all and good.

Just my opinion on the matter of a celebrity being used as a "Token" to get people to buy masses of ponies so Hasbro will cater to us more.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2013, 01:42:16 AM »

They are collector-quality, completely molded "show accurate" figures. A lot of G4-only fans complained about the lack of show accuracy in the main line of toys, complained about "HasbrOCs" (toy-only ponies)

The term show accurate should be banned.

Did I mention how much I dislike the whole 'show accurate' whining associated with G4?

It's probably the reason I don't buy a lot of this stuff.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2013, 03:21:16 AM »
I think I'm hard to please as a G1 fan.  :blush:   I don't really feel I need re-releases as most old G1s are pretty easy to obtain already and I prefer them.  I didn't really care for the collector's editions in comparison to the originals.  I don't want Funko ponies.  I don't know why?!  I really liked their pictures but I just wasn't interested enough to buy.

Things I would like:

1. Fine jewelry in elegant G1 shapes.
2. Backcard/ Original G1 art on posters.
3. G1 Tees
4. My G1 favorites in G4 brushable and blind bag form
5. Every day objects tastefully decorated with a g1 pony or two.
6. Re-release of complete Midnight Castle and Escape movie.
7. Nicely done resin statuettes of G1 ponies that really capture their adorable and sweet elegance.

For me, My Little Pony is gentle, pretty, playful, sweet and close to nature.  I don't need them to be "in your face". Haha.

As for Transformers... I love them too.  But most of my favorites are not re-releases of originals but recreations vastly improved over the originals. I think that's a challenge when it comes to G1 ponies.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:26:13 AM by brightberry »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2013, 04:30:08 AM »

They are collector-quality, completely molded "show accurate" figures. A lot of G4-only fans complained about the lack of show accuracy in the main line of toys, complained about "HasbrOCs" (toy-only ponies)

Did I mention how much I dislike the whole 'show accurate' whining associated with G4?

It's probably the reason I don't buy a lot of this stuff.

I'm with you on that. Plus if people really care that much, they can style the brushable's manes to look "accurate" to the characters in the show which is 100x more fun (in my opinion) than buying a big bulky plastic figure. I do like the Funko vinyls and I'm excited for them to make Rarity but I much prefer the brushables, small as they may be. They're a lot more fun and true to the spirit of MLP.

But clearly the molded figures - both blind bags and vinyls - are selling well if they keep making more and more of em and it's not up to me so eh! To each their own. I just wish Hasbro would start diversifying the main G4 line again.

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline Stormrave

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+54)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2013, 04:32:15 AM »
For the record:  Transformers fans had to fight quite a bit for many years to get Hasbro to recognize that there were adult fans of the brand.  Transformers also have the benefit of having Takara in Japan creating super-intricate molds (like the Masterpieces) for Japanese audiences.  It is a lot easier and more cost effective for Hasbro US to import something that Japan has already designed and created than to go to the work of designing and creating it themselves.  They'd have to feel the money is worth it.

MLP just doesn't have the Japanese presence or market that Transformers has enjoyed for so long.

Classics Transformers are G1 characters with modern poseability and more show-accurate looks.  I don't know what a Classics Glory, for example, would look like.  Ponies were very rarely poseable.  Maybe dressed in highly detailed pony wear?  That's about the only thing I can think that would "upgrade" a G1 Pony.  And I'd totally shell out for a G1-accurate Glory dressed in "In the Designer Collection" or "City Kids."

My biggest concern is that when Hasbro did the reissue G1 ponies the hair quality and plastic quality was significantly lower than a G1 original.  People are not going to buy remakes unless, like Transformers, they represent a substantial IMPROVEMENT over the original version. 

Offline Draikinator

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2013, 05:09:19 AM »
I like the show accurate ones. I don't see why the people who like the show and also want to throw money at hasbro shouldn't be acknowledged too. The funko toys are very high quality and very pretty I think.
I mean, I really really wish we WOULD get more 'hasbrOCs' because G4s have so little diversity and they have had even less lately. I see why one might dislike bronies (I've yet to meet anyone in real life who calls themself a brony that I liked..) but I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying the show and wanting to have some toys of it. The funko vinyl's are licensed anyway, it's not like it's costing hasbro anything to make them. There should, in theory, be nothing about the funko figures keeping them from making more toy only brushables and toys.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2013, 05:11:51 AM »

Seriously... :like: The term drives me crackers especially when it comes to the negativity associated with it.

I can understand that some people wish it...and fine, that's ok just don't complain when things aren't show accurate. Appreciate that there are show accurate releases already and those of us who dont care or dont want moulded manes or show accurate releases are just as entitled to our wishes as those who do.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 05:14:06 AM by hathorcat »
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • May the Force be with you. Always.
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2013, 09:03:53 AM »
Before I start, let me quote Shiromisa...

The target audience for MLP is little girls. That has not stopped being a thing. Adult fans are incidental.

I have all my G1 wants (except Chiefs hat), all my G2 wants, all my G3 wants... and all my G4 wants including international exclusives!, but I'm so discouraged about Hasbro's latest release.

Which latest release are you referring to? The new Ponyvilles? The Chinese New Year Pinkie Pie? Or...???

You have all of the ponies you want....yet it seems you are still unsatisfied as a collector. I'm confused. Do you want even more new things? Or are you happy with what you have? I think that's what the issue boils down to.

Unlike their Transformers Line, Hasbro doesn't even known adult MLP collectors exist...

I'm sorry, what?

MLP Fair? Bronycon? Toy Fair? International Toy Hall of Fame? Comic Con? This site? MLP Collectors Guides???

What about the re-release of the original Mane 6? The re-release of the MLP movies on DVD?

I think these things are being overlooked with this blanket statement. Sure, Hasbro may not play a substantial role in these things, but they are MLP oriented and they do cater to MLP collectors. Perhaps not in the way all collectors would like...but it's going to stay that way unless Hasbro says otherwise.

Could it be that maybe I'm just looking at the short term? maybe the long term is where Hasbro's Adult Collectors get some love?  Though I've been actively collecting for a few years and still have yet to see anything besides TRU "Collectors" sets...

In my opinion...I think we should be happy with what we have. G1 through G4. If nostalgia really is bothering us as a whole community, then we should take up our pitchforks and torches and march to Hasbro's headquarters demanding an explanation of the dearth of MLP products.

Toys will always be for kids, generation after generation. Period. A select few of us collect the items for posterity, but most of the time, toys are kids things and are put away when we 'grow up.' The quality and characters will change as the years go on. It's inevitable and it's not within our control (unless we work for the entity which is in charge of designing the toys). If you dislike the toys as time goes on, there is no one stopping you from ceasing the collection of these toys. Or writing angry letters to the corporation.
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales-Including Ponies!
My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2013, 09:51:38 AM »

This!!!!  This is part of why I find it difficult to get into the G4 craze.  I'm glad Funko is making those figures for people who prefer the "accurate" looks.  But it just doesn't seem to be enough for some.  I hope Hasbro continues with the real MLP toys while Funko keeps releasing more figures for those collectors and fans so both groups can be happy.

Offline Ice Crystal

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2013, 09:57:20 AM »
What about the re-release of the original Mane 6?

Whoa, did I completely miss this? I thought just Firefly was getting a rerelease (in miniature). I haven't heard of any other ponies being rereleased recently. I'm intrigued!

SalesWants

Offline ChocolateStarfire

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • May the Force be with you. Always.
    • View Profile
    • Enchanting Customs
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2013, 10:07:42 AM »

Whoa, did I completely miss this? I thought just Firefly was getting a rerelease (in miniature). I haven't heard of any other ponies being rereleased recently. I'm intrigued!

There was a re-release during the 25th anniversary of MLP....

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/item_archive/items/My_Little_Pony_25th_Anniversary_3Packs_Wave_1_Set.asp
My MLP customs
My eBay Sales-Including Ponies!
My pronouns-She/her and they/them  ^.^

Offline Ice Crystal

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2013, 10:10:19 AM »

There was a re-release during the 25th anniversary of MLP....

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/item_archive/items/My_Little_Pony_25th_Anniversary_3Packs_Wave_1_Set.asp

Oh, that! I thought you meant recently like this year haha. My bad!

SalesWants

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal