collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So how is the Mini Pony Collector's Guide? (My Review)  (Read 874 times)

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
So how is the Mini Pony Collector's Guide? (My Review)
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:32:47 AM »
I left my review already on Amazon...so let me copy and paste it here to describe the horrible mistakes they made. If you want pics of a certain topic, let me know and I'll take them :)

"Now first off...the only reason I bought this was for the Tealove figure. Now let's get to the point of what makes this the worst guide to follow in existence.

Let's start in order of contents. Wave 1 (Canterlot Castle) forgot to mention about the Pink Glitter Twilight Sparkle. I know it is an error, but it is still sought after today on sites and communities and it should be noted.

Wave 3 of 2012(Or known as Wave 5 or Princess Blind bags), show some ponies having glitter cutie marks. This wave NEVER had any of that.

Wave 1 of 2013(Or known as Wave 6 or the Blind Bags with 3D Gems) show Twilight Sparkle, Twilight Velvet, and Trixie Lulamoon completely covered in glitter. This wave NEVER had any of them covered in glitter!

Wave 2 of 2013 has one of the biggest blunders. Remember the card mishap with Soarin and Spitfire? Well they're finally correct...ONLY IN THIS BOOK! So they decided to correct it in the book rather than the actual packs?

Wave 3 of 2013 has a huge mistake. Hey, did you ever find a pink haired, purple body Royal Riff? Well I sure didn't! The one I got is white hair with a blue body.

Last but not least...*gasp* The European Blind Bags, also know as the Wave 2 that was never released internationally(only in Europe). They only listed the following: Star Swirl, Tealove, Ribbon Heart, Daisy Dream, Stardash, Honeybelle, Rainbow Flash, and Pudding Pie. So these are the only European blind bags that existed? Not according to the blind bag box I'm holding, the 24 bags, and the 24 different ponies in that wave.

One of the main things about blind bags also is that, not always, the eye color and eye pattern match for each pony. This book lists the hair color, eye color, eye pattern, pose type, etc for each pony. Although I find that as a good thing, there is one problem...what is the point of having that if the manufacturer doesn't follow these exact things? We've already seen some different results when opening the bags.

Overall, this book is a disgrace to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Blind Bag (Or Mini Pony) serious collectors. Now it may be good for a child...wait...unless they are picky about the different eye color, the card mistake, and that Royal Riff problem. They would probably be just enraged as us serious collectors.

If you want this book because of the Tealove figure, by all means, go ahead and get it. If you want a serious Blind Bag or Mini Pony guide, then steer clear from this 'fake' book and don't even touch it with a stick. Instead, I'll give you a hint: Strawberry Reef."
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
Re: So how is the Mini Pony Collector's Guide? (My Review)
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 11:47:24 AM »
Little Brown messed up on this one, it looks like! Maybe they'll take your comments in consideration on a 2nd edition.

BTW, I looked up the author and it looks like it's either work-for-hire or a pseudonym. No way to really get your comments to her.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:54:19 AM by StoryDreamer »
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 11:51:43 AM »
Wow, that's really rough. D: How much was it? Was Tea Love at least worth it?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 12:29:51 PM »
BTW, I looked up the author and it looks like it's either work-for-hire or a pseudonym. No way to really get your comments to her.

You will know better than anyone in your profession but I would suspect this is one of those books written by a committee rather than an actual author.

Its disappointing but perhaps not too surprising its full of errors.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 12:49:58 PM »
Aw, how disappointing! I keep a list of blind bag figures on my computer, so I won't bother buying the book. I found a Tea Love pretty cheap on ebay not too long ago! Thanks for your review ;)
 :heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

Offline MaronaPossessed

• The Good Troll on the Internet
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • ...Because the internet needs more of these
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »
Little Brown messed up on this one, it looks like! Maybe they'll take your comments in consideration on a 2nd edition.

I can't imagine how bad the 2nd edition will be. A one-star Amazon Rating won't hurt Hasbro :P

Wow, that's really rough. D: How much was it? Was Tea Love at least worth it?
About 12 dollars with Amazon Prime. I think you can get Tea Love cheaper on Ebay. If you're picky about serials, then it is worth it getting the book just for the figure.

Yeah...I know I'm pretty rough on the review, but the public(especially the serious collectors) have the right to know what is wrong with this book.

Aw, how disappointing! I keep a list of blind bag figures on my computer, so I won't bother buying the book. I found a Tea Love pretty cheap on ebay not too long ago! Thanks for your review ;)
No problem! Sorry it seemed disappointing^^;
G4 Blind Bag Extraordinaire

Offline Lunar Dust

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 08:54:07 AM »
That is disappointing but I still bought a copy and it is on its way to my house soon. Wonder if all the copies are like this because I got another book similar to it (a guide book) and the copy I got was very poor. I found another copy in store and it was way better which mad me mad that my copy worse. I guess the savings of ordering online does not always pay when it comes to quality sometimes.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 09:17:02 AM »
That is sad that its was not good. I was thinking that it was going to be great for all of you!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »
Wow, that's disappointing! How much does it cost?
My Wish List

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 11:12:52 AM »
Welp, good to know Tealove's value won't drop under $12, since it seems like she's the main draw of the book. XD Still, sad that it's so badly done.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: So how is the Mini Pony Collector\'s Guide? (My Review)
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 01:00:56 PM »
Awww, the book wasnt a good guide?   I forgot all about that book! :P

Post Merge: October 01, 2013, 03:07:46 PM

Im ordering one for the heck it and for my show and tell review videos. They should have really used Strawberry Reef as a referance, heck, maybe they could have gotten permission from strawberry reef to use their pictures! I wish the guide could be better, thank you for your review! Thats silly they didnt even include all of them including the pink twilight!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 03:07:46 PM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline MintamenaPie

• Trade Count: (+102)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sailorangei.livejournal.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 08:14:46 AM »
My boyfriend and I are currently in a Barnes and Nobles right now checking your points. XD

My theory here is that they photographed prototypes, maybe even at Hasbro HQ or an overseas factory. They really should have had a collector proofread this.

I recommend that if you want this, wait until clearance.

Art by SpottedSlug and MustBeJewel.

Previously known as Steves_Minty.

moonlight twinkle

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 09:19:07 AM »
I'm only buying this book for the tealove figure included. ^.^

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 09:30:52 AM »
I was kinda afraid this book would have problems  :huh: which is why I bought a Tealove figure loose a few mos. ago instead of waiting for this. Still too bad.

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2013, 12:37:18 PM »
I got mine, its a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be! Weird how the pages are half the size of the covers. I didnt like how they forgot smartypants in the new mini set :( I noticed too the wave 2 europe ponies werent all listed! I agree-they should have included prototypes and the pink glitter twilight. They should have mentioned something about finding out the codes, that would have been cool. It wasnt too bad of a guide, but serious collectors definitly check out strawberryreef.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal