collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Has anyone ever removed a horn from a G4 unicorn?  (Read 481 times)

StarberryTart

• Trade Count: (0)
Has anyone ever removed a horn from a G4 unicorn?
« on: September 21, 2013, 06:26:13 PM »
I'm going to be making brushable customs of the spa ponies (Lotus Blossom and Aloe) and figured out that Twinkleshine and Snowcatcher are perfect matches in eye shape, eye color, and body color... but they're unicorns.

I was going to remove the horn from each but I was wondering if anyone had done this before. Is there a good way of going about it? Is the horn hollow and I'd need to place clay in the head to prevent a giant hole from being in their foreheads? If solid, would sandpaper be a way to remove the tiny bit of excess from being cut off or is that too rough on the plastic surrounding it?

Offline aluke

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone ever removed a horn from a G4 unicorn?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 08:26:05 PM »
I know that the fashion  style unicorns would have a gaping hole in their head if they lost their horn. I have yet to behead any of my own playful pony unicorns to answer your question though.

Since you need to pull their heads off anyway to rehair them, you can check and see if it's hollow or not from the inside?  :)

Edit: Forgot to answer the other question. I think an exacto knife and sandpaper will do just fine if the horn isn't hollow. Otherwise if there is a hole, you can always make extra plug holes in the head in front of the hole, and after you rehair just push the hair back behind the ears to hide it without needing to fill it in (conveniently, it's how they style their hair on the show the first place). Plus, since they wear bandannas, there is extra coverage.

I hope my wording makes sense...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 08:32:05 PM by aluke »

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 08:28:50 PM »
I don't think they'd be hollow on the normal sized ponies, but if they are just smooth over the hole with a little clay/apoxie. Fine sandpaper also helps out a lot :)

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 06:52:29 AM »
They ARE hollow on the inside, or at least concave.  I removed a horn from uh... I don't remember who it was in order to make my Mass Effect Tali's (still pending completion) mask fit on correctly and it left a hole about the size of the tip of the horn on her forehead.  Unfortunately, you will have to smooth it over with something.

StarberryTart

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 01:54:10 AM »
Interesting. I wonder if I can avoid the clay altogether and just remove it until there's just a tiny bump there and then cover it up with their headscarves/headdresses/hair things when I add those.

If there's no avoiding the clay, I'll just lop the things off.

Thanks for the info guys! :D

Offline cacopony

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • um...hello?
    • View Profile
    • my deviant art account:
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 02:37:06 PM »
I have done that...to playful size ponies
two times...
......mmmm....kinda hollow, but a hole nonetheless
taking drawing comissions, check my DA for reference pics_
http://cacopony.deviantart.com/gallery/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal