collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Young Adult Book Recommendations  (Read 2297 times)

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Young Adult Book Recommendations
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 09:17:36 AM »
Hi. I thought of a few more.  :blush:

The Looking Glass Wars trilogy; Frank Beddor. It's a re-imagining of the world of Wonderland (as in Alice in Wonderland) as  an action adventure. In case it sounds girly, let me reassure you that it is the opposite.

The Leven Thumps series; Obert Skye. It's so creative, but I've only read the first two books, as I'm not thrilled with Skye's style of writing; it's one of those books that wishes it were a movie, you know? But I admire the series' ideas (like that one of the characters is a literal toothpick.)

The Fire Within and its sequels; Chris d'Lacey. Dragons and bears, magic in a realistic environment.

Lionboy Trilogy; Zizou Corder. I didn't get very far in this series, but my cousin loved them, and I think he was 14 when he read them.

I also highly recommend books by:

Gillian Rubenstein, who apparently has been publishing books under the pseudonym Lian Hearn. She's written a lot of Sci-fi and fantasy, my favorite being Under the Cat's Eye.

Nancy Farmer, who (judging by which of her books my friends recognized :D ) is best known for The Ear, The Eye, and the Arm. Her sci-fi book The Scorpion King is one of my absolute favorites, and apparently a sequel was just published last month!

How about Ender's Game? It has a ton of sequels. I know no one really wants to give financial support to Orson Scott Card, but if you find them at a book sale or something, it might be worth trying. I remember it being very good, or at least more interesting than my Spanish class - and I liked Spanish class.

Artemis Fowl; Eoin Colfer

« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:41:03 AM by NoPonySpecial »
I'll put something here some time

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 09:23:43 AM »
How about

The Bartimaeus Trilogy; Jonathan Stroud; boy befriends a wicked djinn

The Pendragon books; D.J. Machale; It has nothing to do with dragons, it's more like the main character is told he is a Time Lord

Also, have the kids read Freak the Mighty and Max the Mighty yet? I think it's technically at an elementary school level, maybe at the same level as Jerry Spinelli books, but those two are required reading as far as I'm concerned.

Okay, I'll let this die now. Sorry!

I'll put something here some time

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 09:20:59 AM »
*stalking*  I'll add some of my favorites to the list as well, later on when I get the chance.  =D 

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 01:07:26 AM »
The Abhorsen series by Garth Nix is amazing, in my personal opinion. It consists of Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen. Amazon's description for it is "Since childhood, Sabriel has lived outside the walls of the Old Kingdom, away from the power of Free Magic, and away from the Dead who refuse to stay dead. But now her father, the Mage Abhorson, is missing, and Sabriel must cross into that world to find him. With Mogget, whose feline form hides a powerful, perhaps malevolent spirit, and Touchstone, a young Charter Mage, Sabriel travels deep into the Old Kingdom. There she confronts an evil that threatens much more than her life'and comes face to face with her own hidden destiny. . . Garth Nix's first young adult novel, Sabriel was recently nominated for the Aurealis Award for Excellence in Science Fiction in Australia."

I got Sabriel when I was in middle school, and have since had to replace my copy because the book literally fell apart from use. I've recommended it to a number of people who all have loved it, and at one point my granny got hooked on the series because I left the book laying out and when I got home from school one day I found her half way through it XD She said it had looked interesting and had seen me absorbed.  My only other way to describe how good I find this series is that it is the only book series where I have actively sought out multiple copies, and one day hope to get the alternate cover books and other language books that were released outside of the US. Though I do realize it isn't to everyones tastes.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline PrincessKelliee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 01:33:13 AM »
Ahh I'm gonna keep an eye out on this, but if you are looking for plain fantasy, here are some of my fav series;

Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead
House of Night by Kristin and PC Cast
Darkest Powers by Kelly Armstrong
Evermore by Alyson Noel

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 01:35:42 AM »
I was about to suggest Garth Nix too! ;) I loved the Abhorsen series.

Has Trudi Canavan's Black Magician trilogy been mentioned? That's another wizardy one.

I'm currently reading Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve, which is set in a future where cities move around like mechanical animals. :blink:

**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 01:54:10 AM »
I was about to suggest Garth Nix too! ;) I loved the Abhorsen series.

Great minds think alike! I'm glad to see someone else who has read it :D

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2013, 02:59:03 AM »
Most of my suggestions have already been mentioned.

Look into the author Joan Lowery Nixon.  I've really enjoyed her books.  In fact I've still got all my books since I was in middle/high school. I am rereading a few of them right now.  I know I still have a lot of them I've never read too.  My favorites are: Dark and Deadly Pool, The Weekend was murder (this is the sequel to Dark and Deadly Pool but you don't neccessarily need to read the first book to enjoy the 2nd one), The Name of the Game was Murder, Whispers from the Dead, The Other Side of Dark.

I also recommend The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin.  :D

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2013, 03:16:06 AM »
How about the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage?

Post Merge: September 21, 2013, 06:08:04 PM

Oh! And there are The Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins

I second the Septimus Heap series. Its just so neat! its a finished series, the books are kinda thick but honesty they arnt terribly long reads for an avid reader. :p

I also love the Warriors series but its a long one! and sometimes it can get a bit repetitive.
Chronicles of Narnia is a good classic, and Hunger games is also great!

I dunno this is one of my favorite series but its kinda dark.
"Monster Blood Tattoo" by D.M. Cornish
Its got three books in the series
"Foundling"
"LampLighter"
"Factotum"

Its a dark fantasy, I say dark because its got a lot of monsters and some details of monsters/people attacking and killing each other. But that is not what the book is about so its not just a read about blood and gore.
I love this series because the world is just so well thought up and complete feeling that I really got lost in it. I LOOOOOVE book series that have this much detail in them! By the end of the book I was sad that it was over xD I really love this series!

Im a 26 year old who loves reading teen/young adult fantasy series xD
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal