collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

So, are fan dubbed names taking over? (We're talking all 4 generations.)

Yes! I mean really, Sweetie Drops is BonBon, why mix them up?
18 (47.4%)
No, I don't think so, I don't think there are many fan dubbed names.
12 (31.6%)
Hm, now you mention it..?
8 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: September 20, 2013, 09:27:36 AM

Author Topic: Are Fan-Dubbed Names Taking Over, and is this damaging fandom? (light hearted!)  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Sometimes fan made names are better :lol: I can't get used to the name Sweetie Drops or Twirly Treats. They are Bon Bon and Baby Molasses to me :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Fan names don't bug me; I look at them like nick names.  I have one first name but not everyone calls me that - I have no issue doing the same thing for ponies.

And honestly, sometimes the fan names *are* cuter.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
Im fine with some being named by fans! In G4 I personally perfer Bubblebutt's name to be Bubbles but I like her fan name too! Bon Bon being named Sweetie Drops doesnt bother me, Time Turner being the Doctor seem doesnt bug me either, however DJ-pon3  annoy my husband! xD He thinks she should be only Vinyl Scratch! What bugs me is Hasbro naming already-named ponies in the show silly things in their toyline like Diamond Dazzle Tiara,  Mrs. Dazzle Cake...really Hasbro!? LOL

Post Merge: September 19, 2013, 05:13:03 PM

Ooo and as far as toys, I personally like our "Black Tie" Pinkie Pie name instead of Pinkie Pie's Boutique or "Boutique Pinkie". Black Tie sounds so much cooler to me! B)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:13:40 PM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
Honestly, i'm not very fond how the fandom seems to increasingly influence the show. I don't like most of the fandom names or the "backstories" they are given. (With backstories i mean they are given one trait that defines their entire personality. Than that trait gets exaggerated to a point where it becomes very stupid and no longer even makes sense.) I'm also dissapointed that they started to use the term "alicorn" because of the fandom. The show makers called them pegacorns before that.

Offline Sapphire-Light

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://sapphire-light.deviantart.com/
The name Bom Bom for the G4 pony confuses me all the time  because it makes me think of the main character  from the MLtales series  >_<

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
I'm also dissapointed that they started to use the term "alicorn" because of the fandom. The show makers called them pegacorns before that.
I'm also not a fan of the term used in the show. I even refuse to say it on VoU. I've always called that species winged unicorns (mainly because of a book I had.. Whisper the Winged Unicorn... it was actually "Whisper the winged unicorn in Whisper's lonely heart" that got me calling them that but I'm sure that is what I would have called them even before the book :). I wonder if I still have that book somewhere >.>;;
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Argentum-Zeena

I think fan names have always been around it's just a bit different now than it was with G1. Although I wasn't around when G1 was out, I know plenty of kids called their ponies different names than those on the box (as well as different genders). I think that was less controversial and discussed because there wasn't really a unified pony fandom to argue about it back then, just your own personal group of friends.

DancingPhoenix

Really the only fan name/ real name that bugs me is Vinyl Scratch and DJ-Pon3. I think Vinyl Scratch is a really cool name, and fits with the other ponies names better than DJ-Pon3. Hasbro itself can't seem to make up it's mind on her name either XD

I'm starting to get a kick out of the lack of name they give the "grey pegasus". On the collector's series her name is just a picture of a muffin, and I find that hilarious.

BowtieG1

Im fine with some being named by fans! In G4 I personally perfer Bubblebutt's name to be Bubbles but I like her fan name too! Bon Bon being named Sweetie Drops doesnt bother me, Time Turner being the Doctor seem doesnt bug me either, however DJ-pon3  annoy my husband! xD He thinks she should be only Vinyl Scratch! What bugs me is Hasbro naming already-named ponies in the show silly things in their toyline like Diamond Dazzle Tiara,  Mrs. Dazzle Cake...really Hasbro!? LOL

Post Merge: September 19, 2013, 05:13:03 PM

Ooo and as far as toys, I personally like our "Black Tie" Pinkie Pie name instead of Pinkie Pie's Boutique or "Boutique Pinkie". Black Tie sounds so much cooler to me! B)

I think they called them silly names because the copyright was easier to get or something along those lines.

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
I dont mind fan names at all, I actually quite like most. They tend to be more fitting and understandable than Hasbros own...I mean what the hay is a Tinkatoo? Or was it something else that pony was called? Dunno...
The background stories however is a bit less enjoyable for me, but I can think some are funny and great, like how Lyra is obsessed with mythologic humans, and Bubble Butt is the Doctors assistant. But I think one should remember when it comes to this, as long as there is no offical stories or names to them, you are free to make up anything you want for these ponies. Thats the greatness with an open franchise, it leaves the fans room for their own playing.

Offline Ionn

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Horse Shaped Object Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Alicorn, Winged Unicorn, Pegacorn...They all end with corn, and we all love corn, don't we?  :P

Also, I was under the impression that Vinyl Scratch's DJ moniker was DJ-Pon3, which both came from the fandom, and Hasbro seems to have latched onto the more easily copy written one.

diamondshy

I don't think there was a lot of "fan dubbing" in G1, at least not that I saw - however it's hard to pin down the "why".  I'd venture to say like most things, there was more than one reason. 

[snip]

I really like your reasoning here!  The reverse relationships between the show and toy lines make much more sense now, I'm not really sure if I knew that before!  And the Internet makes a big difference, I think--if it were as big as it is now back when I was little, I think I would have had nicknames for all my ponies.  XD

Also, I was under the impression that Vinyl Scratch's DJ moniker was DJ-Pon3, which both came from the fandom, and Hasbro seems to have latched onto the more easily copy written one.

That seems to be the consensus I see most places.  It also seems like the best way to make fans of both names happy.   :P

Personally I don't have strong feelings on nicknames.  Some are neat, some are clever, some need a little help.  I admit I spazz a little when nicknames I like get picked up officially though.  If I were a kid I would think that was so cool.

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
Alicorn, Winged Unicorn, Pegacorn...They all end with corn, and we all love corn, don't we?  :P

Sorry, some of us know that originally "alicorn" means "the horn of a unicorn/ the substance a unicorn horn is made of". It had nothing to do with winged unicorns untill some modern fantasy writer popped up.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
I'm okay, with fan names.  Whenever the "real" name appears, I either compromise, or choose which name I like better.  I find it silly how some bronies have to moan when a pony gets given a real name, they are still alowed to use which name they want in fanon, or they can be creative and compromise like I do (not boasting, just trying to "keep the peace" as it where.)

Also, while I accept that a certain pony's name can't be used on here, I wish they'd go back to censoring it as "Drama Pony".  That "No Cat" or whatever it is, just makes the post look poorly formed to me, and I dunno, it just doesn't... "work" for me.  No offense.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline anthologia

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • a collection : gathering flowers
    • View Profile
I think it's mostly annoying when they switch. I like that they changed Lyra to, well, Lyra, because I really liked that one. But they officially named Dr. Hooves "Time Turner" and now there's apparently a set of blind bags coming out with him where he's Dr. Hooves, and it's just getting confusing. :dizzy:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal